House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shrink Proof

One in Five Estate Agents Risk Going Bust...

Too low.

9/10.

Theyve been running the business of the scam rental charges for the last 8-10 years.

Thats goes soon.

Changing with market forces I suppose.....estate agents once only sold homes, then they diversified into lettings.....new competition along with crack down on collection of excessive fees.....perhaps they have priced themselves out of their own market?;)

48 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Too low.

9/10.

Theyve been running the business of the scam rental charges for the last 8-10 years.

Thats goes soon.

Yes.Thats closer to the figure.Unless they are hedged :lol:

As if 80% of any businesses are going to survive the coming carnage. Most certainly not the EAs who are being thrown to the wolves before it even starts.

Unless they've built a considerable war chest during the period of rocketing prices (rather than spending it all on Range Rover Sports, hair gel, fake tan and Cocaine) I think 20% has to be an extremely conservative estimate.

The high street model may well die. But where I look there are a lot of new agencies that have popped up. Teams of people working out their own homes, advertising on the web. Doing their own admin. This business model is pretty light on fixed costs and if the market dries up they can use time to do other stuff. They seem a lot more eager to close gaps between buyers and sellers than the high street, probably because they see more of the commission. I don't see these guys/girls dying anytime soon.

33 minutes ago, ftb_fml said:

Unless they've built a considerable war chest during the period of rocketing prices (rather than spending it all on Range Rover Sports, hair gel, fake tan and Cocaine) I think 20% has to be an extremely conservative estimate.

you forgot the fast women. 

2 hours ago, ftb_fml said:

(rather than spending it all on Range Rover Sports, hair gel, fake tan and Cocaine) 

:lol:

And I use hair gel myself (for my sins).

I'm not an Estate Agent by the way.

Slightly off topic for this thread, I was thinking of starting a new thread but don't want to clog the board up.

I know a lot of tradesman, most of them you have not been able to pin them down for a date less than a few month for a booking, all of them have been up to their necks in work since 2009 onwards. I have had several of them say that new bookings have fallen off a cliff in recent months. Not that it bothers a few of them who are just relieved that at long  last they will be able to get a break.

But they say be careful what you wish for, I suspect they might not be welcoming a slow down if this possibly goes on for as long as I think it might go on for, and just for the record I do think this is housing related and also about how much money people have in their pockets right now.

2 minutes ago, wotsthat said:

Slightly off topic for this thread, I was thinking of starting a new thread but don't want to clog the board up.

I know a lot of tradesman, most of them you have not been able to pin them down for a date less than a few month for a booking, all of them have been up to their necks in work since 2009 onwards. I have had several of them say that new bookings have fallen off a cliff in recent months. Not that it bothers a few of them who are just relieved that at long  last they will be able to get a break.

But they say be careful what you wish for, I suspect they might not be welcoming a slow down if this possibly goes on for as long as I think it might go on for, and just for the record I do think this is housing related and also about how much money people have in their pockets right now.

Peak Debt has been reached and breached

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

10 hours ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

The high street model may well die. But where I look there are a lot of new agencies that have popped up. Teams of people working out their own homes, advertising on the web. Doing their own admin. This business model is pretty light on fixed costs and if the market dries up they can use time to do other stuff. They seem a lot more eager to close gaps between buyers and sellers than the high street, probably because they see more of the commission. I don't see these guys/girls dying anytime soon.

Same as a lot of solitictors,accountants and assorted professionals