House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spyguy

producing 0.7% of output, receiving £3bn of subsidies on output of about £9bn

The idea of verticle farms has always seemed a fine one to me.

Using aeroponics, hydroponics, renewable energy there has to be a viability to it. 

Most examples I've seen written off haven't taken into account the massive taxpayer support traditional farming gets.

I accept farmers work hard but 7 days a week out in the beautiful countryside with your owned land as far as the eye can see...well, it certainly beats sitting 5 days a week infront of a computer and back to a tiny mortgaged shoebox (if you're lucky). And the farmer is being heavily subsidised by the office worker.

I only know of one farming family on the Nottinghamshire/Lincolnshire border and its perhaps an unfair example but I'll share. They practically don't farm anymore, they sold a fair few acres of land to a housing developer on the edge of an estate which has now been built on last time I was up. Presuming they got a few £M for that. They've extended out their already large farm house and I guess they can spend the next few decades living off that windfall plus the Single Farm Payment for the 00's of acres they still own. And supplement it with a little bit of work to keep them busy I imagine.

When you own that much land, even if you can't draw a massive income from it day-to-day, somebody is always wiling to pay a pretty sum to take it off you. Even some city dweller looking for a place to put his wife's pony. Sat on tens or hundreds of acres of land you own is not a poverty I can relate much to. Can even strike rich by an energy company wanting to put a wind turbine in the middle of your field $$$.

Edited by SillyBilly

5 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

I accept farmers work hard but 7 days a week out in the beautiful countryside with your owned land as far as the eye can see...well, it certainly beats sitting 5 days a week infront of a computer and back to a tiny mortgaged shoebox (if you're lucky). And the farmer is being heavily subsidised by the office worker.

I only know of one farming family on the Nottinghamshire/Lincolnshire border and its perhaps an unfair example but I'll share. They practically don't farm anymore, they sold a fair few acres of land to a housing developer on the edge of an estate which has now been built on last time I was up. Presuming they got a few £M for that. They've extended out their already large farm house and I guess they can spend the next few decades living off that windfall plus the Single Farm Payment for the 00's of acres they still own. And supplement it with a little bit of work to keep them busy I imagine.

When you own that much land, even if you can't draw a massive income from it day-to-day, somebody is always wiling to pay a pretty sum to take it off you. Even some city dweller looking for a place to put his wife's pony. Sat on tens or hundreds of acres of land you own is not a poverty I can relate much to. Can even strike rich by an energy company wanting to put a wind turbine in the middle of your field $$$.

They dont work hard. Trust me, i come from a rural background.

They might get up early, but tgats rarer know that dairy is unsubbed, so has crashed the number of dairy farms.

Might get long hours during harvest but tge rest is mouching around.