House Price Crash Forum
reddog

A little local difficulty in Dalston

Looks like it kicked off in Dalston last night:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/28/protesters-clash-police-set-fire-barricades-death-20-year-oldrashan/

The nation's hippest and most 'up and coming neighbourhood'

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-4001078/amp/Do-live-one-coolest-places-Britain-Areas-Bristol-London-included-list.html

Thought I'd stick this on the main board, not to discuss the riot, but to discuss the insanity of someone spending £600k (average) to live in a potential riot zone.

Edited by reddog

1 hour ago, reddog said:

Thought I'd stick this on the main board, not to discuss the riot, but to discuss the insanity of someone spending £600k (average) to live in a potential riot zone.

I applaud your sentiment, but I don't hold much hope til the Daily Heil gang start to appear here.

There needs to be some mainstream questions as to the impact of HPI Gentrification

4 minutes ago, msi said:

I applaud your sentiment, but I don't hold much hope til the Daily Heil gang start to appear here.

There needs to be some mainstream questions as to the impact of HPI Gentrification

Surely the point is that it hasn't been gentrified enough yet?

3 minutes ago, msi said:

There hasnt been any gentrification in London.

Away from prime its more benefitcation.

Looks like others beat me to it in starting this thread.  Reading the news article immediately made me remember the many astute observations by others here, over recent yers, on the lunacy of people paying lunatic prices for an area that, when push comes to shove, will turn into a war zone in the blink of an eye.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40756629

And yet, no doubt, there will be those bleeding heart types who will reply that they had no choice but to buy there yads yada yada.....

I remember a friend's brother and his now wife being super smug about dropping 500k on an apartment in Hackney. At least they'll have something else to talk about at the next dinner party.

2 hours ago, Oh Well :( said:

Shit hole. Hackney Abbotts constituency. Give them all a free house flat in Kensington.

Is that better?

I live about 100m from this 'riot'. Most of the media commentary has the role of gentrification completely back to front.

Gentrification brings bars and restaurants. These attract people from far and wide at the weekends. That attracts drug dealers. This weekend 'scene' is not a pre-gentrification legacy of Dalston, it's a direct result of those changes in the neighbourhood over the last decade. Further down the Kingsland Road, Shoreditch on a Friday and Saturday night is now just a horrible mass of out-of-town stag and hen parties and it's surging up to Dalston. The police and the council are proactive in trying to manage this and create some kind of balance, but last night shows how difficult it is to do.

5 minutes ago, Orsino said:

I live about 100m from this 'riot'. Most of the media commentary has the role of gentrification completely back to front.

Gentrification brings bars and restaurants. These attract people from far and wide at the weekends. That attracts drug dealers. This weekend 'scene' is not a pre-gentrification legacy of Dalston, it's a direct result of those changes in the neighbourhood over the last decade. Further down the Kingsland Road, Shoreditch on a Friday and Saturday night is now just a horrible mass of out-of-town stag and hen parties and it's surging up to Dalston. The police and the council are proactive in trying to manage this and create some kind of balance, but last night shows how difficult it is to do.

Quite agree. Shoreditch is now a destination, kids from the burbs flock in . The trains also run into Old St/Moorgate at weekends and evenings rather than terminate at kings Cross so this feeds  the area nicely. I believe north london line soon to be running nights at weekends like the tube. it s the new soho .....

Jason unfortunately sounds like a very nasty piece of work with his all white people are racist stupid comments 

if he bothered to lift his two chips off his shoulders he would realise in fact he was part of the colonisation, there were plenty of mixed nightclubs and bars all over these now trendy areas in the 80's and prior to his Nigerian family coming there Were Jews, poles, Italians etc in the area, I was baptised in the Lithuanian church in the Oval Hackney. So his sentiment might be correct but it's certainly not well thought out in fact it's a lie, he is part of the colonisation not the observer of it

however at least he is shouting about it just reading Big Capital - who is London for by Anna Minton and just finished 

How to Kill a City: Gentrification, Inequality, and the Fight for the Neighborhood Hardcover – March 7, 2017

by Peter Moskowitz  (Author)

which is scarily the same around 4 us cities

He should read those and direct his anger where it really belongs one mile South and 5 miles east at the vampire squids of out of control capitalism 

17 minutes ago, satch said:

I agree with this well thought out comment .... (from the DM) Jason Osamede Okundaye, who runs the Black and Minority Ethnic society at the elite institution(cambridge uni), posted the shocking tweets amid violent protests in east London last night over the death of Rashan Charles.He said that white people had 'colonised' Dalston and ordered them to 'go back' to areas such as Exeter and 'Solihurst' (sic)'.

I'd put money on the largest ethnic group in the immediate vicinity being Turkish (Rashan Charles died in a Turkish-owned shop). These guys were out in force outside their shops last night to make sure they weren't attacked. Some had stuck handwritten 'Black Lives Matter' signs in their windows just in case. A Chinese guy was guarding the front of his bar armed with a metal pole. Of course it will be difficult for Okundaye to appreciate this from his vantage point in Cambridge.

3 minutes ago, Greg Bowman said:

prior to his Nigerian family coming there Were Jews, poles, Italians etc in the area,

Don't forget us Irish

London will be fine.  Most of the elements that once stood in the way of a diverse multicultural society have been cleansed. 

Perhaps a simple message on social media is all that is needed.

Maybe the socially enriched population of our great capital city temporally forgot that they are a loving, caring, harmonious collective.

Edited by Lord D'arcy Pew

1 hour ago, satch said:

I agree with this well thought out comment .... (from the DM) Jason Osamede Okundaye, who runs the Black and Minority Ethnic society at the elite institution(cambridge uni), posted the shocking tweets amid violent protests in east London last night over the death of Rashan Charles.He said that white people had 'colonised' Dalston and ordered them to 'go back' to areas such as Exeter and 'Solihurst' (sic)'.

This chap Jason Osamede Okundaye seems very bright indeed.

He can work his little socks off to get London back to how it was 50 years ago. Exeter can take 'em all gov' nor.

Edited by Lord D'arcy Pew

1 hour ago, Orsino said:

I do agree with this a little.  I actually live in an area of Zürich not far from the centre that is now 1/3 othodox Jewish , 1/3 hipster, 1/3 everyone else.  The hipsters have bought bars and restaurants, and that brings in people from a long way away.  On the whole my main beef with the people that come for the bars is that they leave fast food containers on the floor outside my front door.

Though we did have a case where we had our local coop smashed up when the police closed down a large squat in a disused factory: http://www.reinform.nl/?p=5219 I am certain none of the people smashing the coop up actually lived in the area.

Back to Dalston, I hardly think the drug dealers are coming in from the home counties, it is more that dealers and their associated gang friends from not too far away, are concentrating on a specific area, so that doesn't really take away from my point, that there are a lot of eliminates around the east end that you would not expect if you were shelling out in the high hundred thousands for a home.

Edited by reddog

1 hour ago, Greg Bowman said:

Jason unfortunately sounds like a very nasty piece of work with his all white people are racist stupid comments 

if he bothered to lift his two chips off his shoulders he would realise in fact he was part of the colonisation, there were plenty of mixed nightclubs and bars all over these now trendy areas in the 80's and prior to his Nigerian family coming there Were Jews, poles, Italians etc in the area, I was baptised in the Lithuanian church in the Oval Hackney. So his sentiment might be correct but it's certainly not well thought out in fact it's a lie, he is part of the colonisation not the observer of it

however at least he is shouting about it just reading Big Capital - who is London for by Anna Minton and just finished 

How to Kill a City: Gentrification, Inequality, and the Fight for the Neighborhood Hardcover – March 7, 2017

by Peter Moskowitz  (Author)

which is scarily the same around 4 us cities

He should read those and direct his anger where it really belongs one mile South and 5 miles east at the vampire squids of out of control capitalism 

How is his sentiment correct? How can he talk about colonisation with a straight face when his ancestors settled in an area that was white working class for centuries.

2 hours ago, reddog said:

I do agree with this a little.  I actually live in an area of Zürich not far from the centre that is now 1/3 othodox Jewish , 1/3 hipster, 1/3 everyone else.  The hipsters have bought bars and restaurants, and that brings in people from a long way away.  On the whole my main beef with the people that come for the bars is that they leave fast food containers on the floor outside my front door.

Though we did have a case where we had our local coop smashed up when the police closed down a large squat in a disused factory: http://www.reinform.nl/?p=5219 I am certain none of the people smashing the coop up actually lived in the area.

Back to Dalston, I hardly think the drug dealers are coming in from the home counties, it is more that dealers and their associated gang friends from not too far away, are concentrating on a specific area, so that doesn't really take away from my point, that there are a lot of eliminates around the east end that you would not expect if you were shelling out in the high hundred thousands for a home.

Home counties drug dealers... yeah dont want to mess with Quentin from Surrey, hell get his mum to write a letter.

Funny isnt it. Last 50 years has seen white people leave - voluntary or not - from London, with different hues moving in. Then, when a few white people move back its cleansing.

I think a lot of the recent arrivals, living in tax payer subbd accomidation are going to have a shock when benefit reforms kick in. 60 years ago, these people crossed the Atlantic to work in the UK now their grandkids cant get a bus for 3 miles to work....

You can always trust the Telegraph to put a positive spin on property:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/07/29/revealed-areas-have-seen-house-prices-increase-six-times-two/

Of those "top 10 HPI by price per square metre" areas, Hove and Waltham Forest are the only two I would drive through without locking the doors of my car.  Some of the others I would not even dare to drive through at all.

Edited by Dyson Fury