Birmingham City Council

West Midlands

£195k

Chief Executive is required.

Funniest and most pointless job of the week

Commissioner for Victims and Witnesses

Veredus

West London £120k

You'll: - champion the interests of victims and witnesses - advise the Government on how they should be supported - drive change and modernisation through the criminal justice system

Mass tax abuser of the week

Assistant Director Children and Families

London Borough of Hounslow £90,000

Assistant Director Young People and Community Learning

London Borough of Hounslow £80,000

Head of ICT

Assistant Director Resources and Planning

Assistant Director Housing Strategy and Services

Assistant Director Partnerships and Commissioning

Other tax abusers

Chief Executive

Isle of Wight Council

Hampshire & Isle of Wight

£150,000

We need is a Chief Executive who can unlock that potential, set the right tone and culture for the organisation, break through internal obstacles where necessary, and unlock (unleash, even) the capacity within a talented and proven leader.

Chief Executive Officer

Liverpool City Council

Merseyside

Circa £150k

The successful applicant should have a high level of interpersonal and communication skills, capacity to lead and support others, a high level of competence in commercial and business management coordination combined with strong leadership skills.

Chief Executive

Wolverhampton City Council

West Midlands

£150,000

We're seeking an exceptional leader with the energy and vision to help us achieve four stars and build our reputation as one of the UK's most dynamic and progressive cities.

Chief Executive

Fife Council

East Scotland

£135,847 plus benefits

A key early task will be to ensure the smooth transition from the present Council to the new Council in 2007 following the introduction of Proportional Representation. You will deepen the Council's commitment to the values of People.

Strategic Director - Children and Young People

Nottinghamshire County Council

Nottinghamshire

Circa £125,000 pa

We need now is an ambitious and determined professional to join our strategic directorate team and bring vision, make the decisions that matter, and provide the leadership that counts.

Corporate Director - Adult & Community Services

Durham County Council

Durham

£90k - £120k

It's a big job, covering adult social care and health, culture and leisure, adult learning and community safety. You would also work closely with our new Chief Executive on the overall strategic direction of the Council.

Director of Neighbourhood Services

Manchester City Council

Greater Manchester

£106,000 - £113,500 per annum

We're looking for someone who can complete the jigsaw. Someone with the exceptional experience and leadership skills that are needed to develop an integrated and co-ordinated strategic approach to neighbourhood service delivery in Manchester.

Director of Education and Children's Services

Reading Borough Council

Berkshire

£109,500 plus benefits

An experienced senior manager with strategic vision and exemplary leadership skills, you must have a strong track record within a multi-service organisation. You should also be able to build strong partnerships both internally and externally.

Executive Director

Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council

Lancashire

£107,000

Your main task will be to plan and oversee strategy in a specific programme area. The programme area which you occupy may well not relate to your existing professional background.

Chief Executive

Tribal Resourcing

£104,000

We seek a Chief Executive with the drive and leadership qualities to take us to a four star future. In this role, you will enable us to deliver first-rate services through proactive community engagement and partnership working.

Chief Executive

Wigan and Leigh Housing

Greater Manchester

c.£100k plus benefits

At a more strategic level you will be a pivotal member of the wider, mutually supportive and joined-up leadership of the borough; benefiting all our citizens and contributing to the Council's 'excellent' performance rating.

Chief Executive

Tribal Executive Resourcing

Gloucestershire

£100K

We are now seeking an inspirational leader to address these, balancing conservation with urban growth and enabling us to provide the best possible services across the town.

Chief Executive

Burnley Borough Council

Lancashire

c.£100k

Ideas and courage will be as important as ever, and you must have the organisational and managerial ability to deliver results.

Director Operations

Kent County Council

Kent

circa £100k

This vital and very high profile role will be key to making sure we achieve this. To succeed, you'll need a comprehensive knowledge of all the issues surrounding social care and be able to prove significant successes in delivery.

Director Policy, Performance and Quality Assurance

Kent County Council

Kent

circa £100k

This vital and very high profile role will be key to making sure we achieve this. To succeed, you'll need a comprehensive knowledge of all the issues surrounding social care and be able to prove significant successes in delivery.

Executive Director of Corporate Services

North East Lincolnshire Council

Lincolnshire

£100,000

Your principal responsibilities will be to provide exceptional service through Finance, Procurement and IT and robust support to the front line services; Customer Services and Revenues and Benefits.

Tax abuser of the week

Chief Executive

Birmingham City Council

West Midlands

£195k

Funniest and most pointless job of the week

Commissioner for Victims and Witnesses

Veredus

West London £120k

You'll: - champion the interests of victims and witnesses - advise the Government on how they should be supported - drive change and modernisation through the criminal justice system

Mass tax abuser of the week

Assistant Director Children and Families

London Borough of Hounslow £90,000

Assistant Director Young People and Community Learning

Head of ICT

Assistant Director Resources and Planning

Assistant Director Housing Strategy and Services

Assistant Director Partnerships and Commissioning

Other tax abusers

Chief Executive

Isle of Wight Council

£150,000

We need is a Chief Executive who can unlock that potential, set the right tone and culture for the organisation, break through internal obstacles where necessary, and unlock (unleash, even) the capacity within a talented and proven leader.

Chief Executive Officer

Liverpool City Council

Merseyside

Circa £150k

The successful applicant should have a high level of interpersonal and communication skills, capacity to lead and support others, a high level of competence in commercial and business management coordination combined with strong leadership skills.

Chief Executive

Wolverhampton City Council

West Midlands

£150,000

We're seeking an exceptional leader with the energy and vision to help us achieve four stars and build our reputation as one of the UK's most dynamic and progressive cities.

Chief Executive

Fife Council

East Scotland

£135,847 plus benefits

A key early task will be to ensure the smooth transition from the present Council to the new Council in 2007 following the introduction of Proportional Representation. You will deepen the Council's commitment to the values of People.

Strategic Director - Children and Young People

Nottinghamshire County Council

Nottinghamshire

Circa £125,000 pa

We need now is an ambitious and determined professional to join our strategic directorate team and bring vision, make the decisions that matter, and provide the leadership that counts.

Corporate Director - Adult & Community Services

Durham County Council

Durham

£90k - £120k

It's a big job, covering adult social care and health, culture and leisure, adult learning and community safety. You would also work closely with our new Chief Executive on the overall strategic direction of the Council.

Director of Neighbourhood Services

Manchester City Council

Greater Manchester

£106,000 - £113,500 per annum

We're looking for someone who can complete the jigsaw. Someone with the exceptional experience and leadership skills that are needed to develop an integrated and co-ordinated strategic approach to neighbourhood service delivery in Manchester.

Director of Education and Children's Services

Reading Borough Council

Berkshire

£109,500 plus benefits

An experienced senior manager with strategic vision and exemplary leadership skills, you must have a strong track record within a multi-service organisation. You should also be able to build strong partnerships both internally and externally.

Executive Director

Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council

Lancashire

£107,000

Your main task will be to plan and oversee strategy in a specific programme area. The programme area which you occupy may well not relate to your existing professional background.

Chief Executive

Tribal Resourcing

£104,000

We seek a Chief Executive with the drive and leadership qualities to take us to a four star future. In this role, you will enable us to deliver first-rate services through proactive community engagement and partnership working.

Chief Executive

Wigan and Leigh Housing

Greater Manchester

c.£100k plus benefits

At a more strategic level you will be a pivotal member of the wider, mutually supportive and joined-up leadership of the borough; benefiting all our citizens and contributing to the Council's 'excellent' performance rating.

Chief Executive

Tribal Executive Resourcing

Gloucestershire

£100K

We are now seeking an inspirational leader to address these, balancing conservation with urban growth and enabling us to provide the best possible services across the town.

Chief Executive

Burnley Borough Council

Lancashire

c.£100k

Ideas and courage will be as important as ever, and you must have the organisational and managerial ability to deliver results.

Director Operations

Kent County Council

Kent

circa £100k

Director Policy, Performance and Quality Assurance

Kent County Council

Kent

circa £100k

Executive Director of Corporate Services

North East Lincolnshire Council

Lincolnshire

£100,000

Your principal responsibilities will be to provide exceptional service through Finance, Procurement and IT and robust support to the front line services; Customer Services and Revenues and Benefits.

You seriously need to do more with this list I think, send it to the government, basically anyone other the HPC !

Apologies if you already have, more people need to see this info :)

You seriously need to do more with this list I think, send it to the government, basically anyone other the HPC !

I think the government would already know. Most of this list appears in the Guardian - their unofficial house organ.

I think the government would already know. Most of this list appears in the Guardian - their unofficial house organ.

I hate to go all Littlejohn on everyone, but it really does bug me that all these jobs are advertised only in the Guardian. Even more annoying are the senior police ones - 20 lines about a "track record of implementing a culture of equality", "community sensitivity awareness", and then a sentence at the bottom in small print about reducing crime.

Tax abuser of the week

Chief Executive

Birmingham City Council

West Midlands

£195k

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Why. Can you explain

Go you mean why is a Chief Executive required or why does the OP consider this to be tax abuse?

I hate to go all Littlejohn on everyone, but it really does bug me that all these jobs are advertised only in the Guardian. Even more annoying are the senior police ones - 20 lines about a "track record of implementing a culture of equality", "community sensitivity awareness", and then a sentence at the bottom in small print about reducing crime.

Yes but in B-liars "Brave New World" its all about fairness and equality - since when did a copper have to worry about crime !

Guest Bart of Darkness
champion the interests of victims and witnesses - advise the Government on how they should be supported - drive change and modernisation through the criminal justice system

If they could actually do any of this, they'd earn their money many times over.

"Advise the government how they should be supported".

At all would be a fricking start!

Tax abuser of the week

Chief Executive

Birmingham City Council

West Midlands

£195k

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Why. Can you explain

The head of Birmingham Council is a glorified council clerk who deserves no more than £40 or £50K per year. People like this have bestowed super star status on themselves which is wholly undeserved. They confiscate huge sums of money from the population and then waste it. They have no competition, no accountability and no penalty for poor performance or failure.

Just look at the record of local councils across the country. As computers and cars get cheaper every year, local authorities impose massive council tax rises year after year. In fact council tax now looks more like rent.

Look at anything they do and you will find local councils are abject failures.

Education - children today are 2-3 years behind their peers of 20 years ago.

Business rates - councils are driving business out (even Tescos are now alarmed) with unrealistic taxes

Roads - roads are in a terrible condition

Recycling - councils are miles behind other European countries on recycling

Police - what police?

Bin collection - despite 1000% rise in taxes bins only get collected 1 day a week and the lid is 1 mm open it gets left.

Libraries - these get fewer in number every year

The head head of Birmingham Council is like a kid in a dumper truck. It is sleaze on a grand scale.

Edited by dog

I completely agree with you but as CaptainScarlet correctly, observed these activities seem to be going on with the knowledge and even approval of Government (the informantion does come from the Guardian).

Labour are fostering sleaze in public life on a scale we have never seen before. All I can do at the moment is bring this abuse (and it is abuse) to people's attention each week.

My apologies for posting again but I have a lot to get off my chest.

Just look at what the advertisement for the Isle of Wight

Chief Executive

Isle of Wight Council

£150,000

What the hell does they mean by: unlock (unleash, even) the capacity within a talented and proven leader. What jargon spewing idiot came up with this?

The Isle of Wight is an insiginificant little patch of land. The local council is nothing more than a glorified bin collection service. Despite this, the council mafia are inventing dramatic sounding job descriptions for themselves and using this to justify outrageous salaries.

I went for a £120k job in the council. Got down to the final stages and then disaster:

I didn't realise having a degree counted against you. Apparently your degree is completely ignored due to 'equal opportunities'.

Nice work if you can get it. Is Birmingham so bad that they need a high power fix-it person Bob Kilney style?(although what he has done I hazzard to guess since I don't think it had anything to do with the Tube - but then I'm only the product consumer) They could pay their chief exec 100K and employ 3 more front-line staff where they're needed? This really is off the wall.

Nice work if you can get it. Is Birmingham so bad that they need a high power fix-it person Bob Kilney style?(although what he has done I hazzard to guess since I don't think it had anything to do with the Tube - but then I'm only the product consumer) They could pay their chief exec 100K and employ 3 more front-line staff where they're needed? This really is off the wall.

Hang on a minute Elizabeth. If I understand this right, I think I might agree with you. This can't be right.

Hang on a minute Elizabeth. If I understand this right, I think I might agree with you. This can't be right.

I'm not public sector for its own sake. Take out the profit motive and organise things properly and you can deliver for a better cost since all you are paying is operational overheads. The problem is when tentacles grow without reference to each other and before you know it you have a mess of overlapping deliveries and competing egos. When the CEO is being paid 200K in Council the whole thing has reached the point where it is not being driven by market value for skills but by egoism around money decisions.

Strong and effective management at the right level, and paid the right amount is critical. They can do that for far less than 200K. They fail in providing value for money. I don't like it.

I'm not public sector for its own sake. Take out the profit motive and organise things properly and you can deliver for a better cost since all you are paying is operational overheads. The problem is when tentacles grow without reference to each other and before you know it you have a mess of overlapping deliveries and competing egos. When the CEO is being paid 200K in Council the whole thing has reached the point where it is not being driven by market value for skills but by egoism around money decisions.

Strong and effective management at the right level, and paid the right amount is critical. They can do that for far less than 200K. They fail in providing value for money. I don't like it.

Well said Elizabeth or maybe I should call Liz since we suddenly seem to be (almost) on the same team.

This thread is one I always look for when I look at the site. At first we thought it was a spoof, but the Guardian website soon disabused us. Now my wife is surprised that so many senior vacancies are open at the same time - and I assume that the positions are just being renamed/regraded to pay their incumbents much more money than they currently get after a decent interval for the obligatory external search. I bet they write the ads themselves too.

Is my wife being naive or am I being too cynical?

This week there were 4 jobs at over £150,000 and one of these was nearly £200,000. One borough is advertising for 6 jobs at ridiculous salaries. I suspect they may not even be genuine offers of employment (it may just be a way of ramping salaries with being seen to give big pay rises).

This sleaze is out of control and I am really getting sick of it. Businesses are closing and old people are having to switch off their central heating as a price for this extravagance.

I have sent an email to my MP. It is quite easy to do by using this link:

http://www.writetothem.com/

dog - don't take any offence this isn't aimed at you or your post but rather the mods

Mods - What exactly does this topic have to do with Houseprices? I'm pretty sure it has less to do than certain recent posts about certain housing TV personalities discussing housing /house prices yet it hasn't been moved to OT.