Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sancho Panza

ITV ad revenue down 8%,worst since Q4 2008...

Recommended Posts

Guardian 26/7/17

'The broadcaster said TV advertising slumped 8% to £769m in the first half of the year – the worst fall since the final quarter of 2008 – and blamed marketers for holding back budgets due to “ongoing economic and political uncertainty”. ITV’s pre-tax profits slumped 16% to £259m in the first six months of 2017.

June was a particularly difficult month, with advertising revenue plummeting 18% year on year against a tough comparison with the same month in 2016, when ITV had European Championship football coverage.

Analysts expect ITV’s ad revenue to be down about 6% for the full year, which will be its worst annual performance since a 9.4% fall in 2009. However, the broadcaster said it expected to outperform the wider UK TV ad market. '

 

 

Just sayin',that's all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely scheduled TV advertising is a dying business model with people moving to youtube and various on demand and streaming services. On the rare occasion when I watch any scheduled TV on a channel with adverts I will always either record the whole thing or live pause it for long enough that I can just skip the ads, I dont think I've watched a whole TV advert once in the last 5 years. 

Edited by goldbug9999

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

Surely scheduled TV advertising is a dying business model with people moving to youtube and various on demand and streaming services. On the rare occasion when I watch any scheduled TV on a channel with adverts I will always either record the whole thing or live pause it for long enough that I can just skip the ads, I dont think I've watched a whole TV advert once in the last 5 years. 

This is exactly what I do, 90% of what I watch is recorded and ad's are just skipped over quickly. Even online ads ala YouTube are totally ignored, If I see the ad I just turn off the sound and do something else if it's unskipable for the duration. Screw them, they earn nothing from me and never will.

Ive noticed that some TV channels are trying ot be sneaky and not use a transition to ad screen or break these days, I assume they are wise to the recorders and want to catch them out in the hope they will watch at least a few seconds of the ad, it doesn't work by the way and just causes annoyance and an increase in my fwd x30 speed and skills :)

Ive always wondered why nobody has invented the ad destroyer box you plug into your equipment that detects the ads and just removes them for you automatically, it has to be possible and I would buy it!

Edited by JustAnotherProle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, JustAnotherProle said:

This is exactly what I do, 90% of what I watch is recorded and ad's are just skipped over quickly. Even online ads ala YouTube are totally ignored, If I see the ad I just turn off the sound and do something else if it's unskipable for the duration. Screw them, they earn nothing from me and never will.

Ive noticed that some TV channels are trying ot be sneaky and not use a transition to ad screen or break these days, I assume they are wise to the recorders and want to catch them out in the hope they will watch at least a few seconds of the ad, it doesn't work by the way and just causes annoyance and an increase in my fwd x30 speed and skills :)

Ive always wondered why nobody has invented the ad destroyer box you plug into your equipment that detects the ads and just removes them for you automatically, it has to be possible and I would buy it!

They did... 12 months ago!

You must of missed the advert...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

They did... 12 months ago!

You must of missed the advert...

Really? I wonder why it's not being reported by the popular media... :lol:

Actually Ive seen Skipr but it isn't quite for me but it's almost there...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JustAnotherProle said:

Really? I wonder why it's not being reported by the popular media... :lol:

Actually Ive seen Skipr but it isn't quite for me but it's almost there...

It was a joke mate ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GrizzlyDave said:

They did... 12 months ago!

You must of missed the advert...

They've had this technology in the US for around 5 years.  The Dish network allows users to completely skip adverts. Its had a number of court cases which it has lost and it now doesn't offer ad-skipping on any of the major Channels it carries (or if it offers ad-skipping its only after the content is more than 7 days old)

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160211/10423633579/dish-agrees-to-cripple-ad-skipping-dvr-to-settle-fox-lawsuit.shtml

I believe a lot of other US cable/satellite providers have watched this, but haven't introduced ad skipping as they haven't wanted to fall out with their content providers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Advertising is increasingly a tax only the poor and the technologically illiterate pay." Professor Scott Galloway.

Galloway is primarily talking about the current state of the US in the above statement, but it's increasingly true elsewhere too. He has an excellent channel on Youtube and he predicts the end of what he calls the 'Advertising Industrial Complex' of the likes of WPP, Omnicom and Publicis. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/l2thinktank

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

Surely scheduled TV advertising is a dying business model with people moving to youtube and various on demand and streaming services. On the rare occasion when I watch any scheduled TV on a channel with adverts I will always either record the whole thing or live pause it for long enough that I can just skip the ads, I dont think I've watched a whole TV advert once in the last 5 years. 

Even Sky have realised this as they are heavily pushing the likes of NowTV which IMO is a much more attractive proposition than their overpriced satellite service.

These days I mostly watch either either streamed TV (youtube, various catch up services,  Amazon Prime, NowTV, Google Play) which have either no ads or many fewer ads .. or stuff that I've downloaded myself which has had the ads pre-stripped by whoever ripped and posted the video.

I only really watch live TV for 'news' channels and even then only if there's a big news event happening or for a few select shows (eg Max Keiser).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JustAnotherProle said:

Even online ads ala YouTube are totally ignored

I don't know what its like in other countries, but in the Arabian Gulf region logging onto House price crash. com leads to a instant plethora of online ads flashing up for property developments in London, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, and even Mumbai, urging me to make an unbeatable Real Estate investment.  

Ironic, no ?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Society of fools said:

I don't know what its like in other countries, but in the Arabian Gulf region logging onto House price crash. com leads to a instant plethora of online ads flashing up for property developments in London, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, and even Mumbai, urging me to make an unbeatable Real Estate investment.  

Ironic, no ?? 

I understand it keeps the forums up with ad revenue but it does make me chuckle when I look up from a thread of Counts decimating btl and theres investment flat ads! NoScript works to some extent but they are sneaking around ad blockers to the extent it becomes a pain to use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JustAnotherProle said:

Ive always wondered why nobody has invented the ad destroyer box you plug into your equipment that detects the ads and just removes them for you automatically, it has to be possible and I would buy it!

I used to run a MythTV box (open source recorder much like what SkyQ is now) and had ad skipping:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Removing_Commercials

Worked 70-80% of the time for me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are so many ways to avoid watching and listening to TV advertisements now, I am surprised people sit through taking notice of the four or five mins of adverts every ten minutes or so of broadcasting.....lots to catch up with during the breaks, easy to ignore......sometimes the programmes are not worth watching due to the time and interuptions.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Orsino said:

"Advertising is increasingly a tax only the poor and the technologically illiterate pay." Professor Scott Galloway.

Galloway is primarily talking about the current state of the US in the above statement, but it's increasingly true elsewhere too. He has an excellent channel on Youtube and he predicts the end of what he calls the 'Advertising Industrial Complex' of the likes of WPP, Omnicom and Publicis. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/l2thinktank

 

I think this is a bit naive. Overt advertising maybe, but we'll just see more covert advertising. 

Bloggers pushing products, product placement, and so on. 

In about 2003, when camera phones were still quite new, I saw a couple walking up and down the street asking strangers to take photos of them on their camera phone. It was pretty clear to me that they had been paid to do this, but if you hadn't been watching them over a period of an hour, you wouldn't realise you just been marketed to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:   34 members have voted

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.