House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

UK Goes Scalextric!

20 hours ago, longgone said:

won`t work those tiny brillo pads keep wearing out

Plus the small matter of the metal track rails not picking up the current unless perfectly aligned, which meant most sets were discarded after a few months.

2 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

Plus the small matter of the metal track rails not picking up the current unless perfectly aligned, which meant most sets were discarded after a few months.

A few seconds wiggling around a screwdriver in the slot usually gets them working. The tabs sometimes broke off though but the newer style of track is more robust to that.

6 hours ago, Riedquat said:

A few seconds wiggling around a screwdriver in the slot usually gets them working. The tabs sometimes broke off though but the newer style of track is more robust to that.

I remember paying a quid or so for a whole load of second hand track with the idea of creating a big layout in the early 70s. Did it work, no chance.

12 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

Iconic but ultimately flawed toy. Its essentially impossible to have anything resembling an actual race.

It's true that it's quite hard to stay on the track, but races are certainly possible. I once set up a circuit in my local pub for an evening-long knock out competition, which was great fun although I was as sore as hell the next day from having spent the evening leaping around putting cars back on the track (often in the wrong lane after a few drinks).

I've got quite a large collection of Scalextric track, it's been sitting around waiting for my nephews to get old enough to dump it on them (which will make me popular considering how cluttered my brother's house is).

1 hour ago, Riedquat said:

It's true that it's quite hard to stay on the track, but races are certainly possible.

Matchbox motorway was much simpler, the cars were attached to a moving wire and couldn't fall off. Got one of these Christmas 1970 before I got the real thing.

050ec1759e6bac5d1bf6d18e786e5f4f.jpg