House Price Crash Forum
Spirit

One in five MPs are landlords

laura-pidcock-125.gifLabour MP Laura Pidcock (pictured, left), who recently revealed she couldn’t afford to bet on the property ladder despite her £76,000 MPs salary, told Channel 4 that she thought “anyone who is a landlord should not be able to vote on legislation affecting landlords, it is a complete conflict of interest.

“Of course they won’t vote for further protections for people in their homes and will try to get away with as little regulation as possible, as they perceive that this will affect their profits.”

https://thenegotiator.co.uk/one-five-mps-landlords-register-reveals/

17 minutes ago, Spirit said:

Labour MP Laura Pidcock (pictured, left), who recently revealed she couldn’t afford to bet on the property ladder despite her £76,000 MPs salary

A Freudian slip in the original article there ...

;)

I wish people would be taxed for saying property ladders.

Theres no such thing.

Closest is borrowing loads and hoping of being bailed out by inflation or low IRs.

Anyone who's took that 'bet; in the last 10 is goign to lose.

I will do the devil's advocate's work but she has skin in the game as well to vote on any legislation that affects landlords.

10 hours ago, bomberbrown said:

I hope she is going to be one of many new blood MPs to come. 

Meanwhile we have to rely on former Human Rights barrister Emily Thornberry with her three million pound home and other property(s) along with her other Islington mates to do the right thing when we get power Comrade.

Edited by crashmonitor

26 minutes ago, spyguy said:

I wish people would be taxed for saying property ladders.

Theres no such thing.

Closest is borrowing loads and hoping of being bailed out by inflation or low IRs.

anyone who's took that 'bet; in the last 10 is goign to lose.

That's not true. As long as you can repay the mortgage, there is nothing to lose.

17 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

That's not true. As long as you can repay the mortgage, there is nothing to lose.

Thats a big If these days.

15 minutes ago, spyguy said:

15 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Is it? We've had an IO mortgage and it's been fantastic!

People will remortgage if needs be, the can will be kicked down the road if they can't pay.

30 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Is it? We've had an IO mortgage and it's been fantastic!

People will remortgage if needs be, the can will be kicked down the road if they can't pay.

Remortgage is becoming harder + harders as the MMR rules kick in.

A lot of people will find they cannot remortgage.

2 hours ago, Spirit said:

laura-pidcock-125.gifLabour MP Laura Pidcock (pictured, left), who recently revealed she couldn’t afford to bet on the property ladder despite her £76,000 MPs salary, told Channel 4 that she thought “anyone who is a landlord should not be able to vote on legislation affecting landlords, it is a complete conflict of interest.

“Of course they won’t vote for further protections for people in their homes and will try to get away with as little regulation as possible, as they perceive that this will affect their profits.”

Does she know what party started this mess?  I worked out that thanks to Blair I will pay £105k more for my house (assuming interest rates don't go over 0.5% in the next 16 years)

2 hours ago, Freki said:

I will do the devil's advocate's work but she has skin in the game as well to vote on any legislation that affects landlords.

well yes she has a VI in seeing rents and the price of housing fall...this is the society they have created...us against them...they should be working for the common good, that is not a hopeless dream....that really used to happen once

3 hours ago, Spirit said:

how can someone who earns 76000 not buy ?  save for two years live off bread and water 

12 hours ago, Spirit said:

The bloke behind her in the photo doesn't look very happy - in fact he looks very grim.  Deep in property?

Edited by billybong

12 hours ago, longgone said:

how can someone who earns 76000 not buy ?  save for two years live off bread and water 

She looks quite young so probably hasnt got the capital. Also 76k isnt a great deal of money in London. Its just about the minimum salary to live comfortably. 

Bearing in mind a shit flat in an average area would cost £450k. 

17 hours ago, longgone said:

She's been an MP for just over one month. 

In any case, her job is to speak up for people who aren't MPs, who mostly don't earn 76k and mostly aren't landlords. 

Edited by DrBuyToLeech

7 hours ago, Habeas Domus said:

Am I the only one who thinks 1 in 5 seems rather low, was it higher than this in the past?

1 in 5 MPs are landlords seems perfectly reasonable to me if the other 4 out of 5 have put it in their partner's name instead.

6 hours ago, 999house said:

She looks quite young so probably hasnt got the capital. Also 76k isnt a great deal of money in London. Its just about the minimum salary to live comfortably. 

Does a loaf of bread cost £10 in London? They have these things called trains and tubes, to commute to somewhere more affordable. She is earning capital, and has a much better shot at building savings than someone earning 14k, 20k, 35k. 

8 hours ago, Habeas Domus said:

Am I the only one who thinks 1 in 5 seems rather low, was it higher than this in the past?

I don't know whether it's ever been higher than that across all parties. It was at one point 40%+ of tories and 20%+ of labour, the other parties must be relatively property-clean so reduce aggregate figure?

7 hours ago, 999house said:

i could live like a king on that , she needs to use her brain 

2 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

1 in 5 MPs are landlords seems perfectly reasonable to me if the other 4 out of 5 have put it in their partner's name instead.

take the example of Alok Sharma,

his wife is a Skandinavian Landlady. So no he isn't a landlord! pffft.