House Price Crash Forum
winkie

London exodus accelerates for UK house hunters

https://www.ft.com/content/f3e54a3e-6e3c-11e7-b9c7-15af748b60d0

Net departure up more than 80% in five years.....93,000, growing numbers of 30 and 20 year olds, London population has continued to grow driven by people from overseas and births.;)

http://www.thedebrief.co.uk/news/real-life/what-happens-when-we-all-get-priced-out-of-london-20140714236

Edited by winkie

See that also.....mainly middle working class people leaving, plenty of rich moving in to join the rich, plenty of poor about with few movement choices open to them.... wealth gap growing......one places gain is another places loss...... businesses also taking advantage of new opportunities in new places.;)

1 hour ago, wotsthat said:

I have a large Irish family who started settling in London pre WW2, mostly in south London. Many went on to wed Londoners obviously and all went on to have very strong roots in the capital. I would say from about the 1980's onwards many of them stated trickling out, and in very recent years they have left on mass. I am talking a family in the 100's, I am one of them.

Hard as I try I cannot think of one that does or did not work. I dare say the odd one hit hard times and claimed the dole for a short period, but if they did I don't know about it, they are just a solid hard working bunch of people who ranged from workers at Murphys to a one who had a Doctorate and worked for a big American company. It has gradually got worse in London for various reasons and things you just cannot say. I remember my cousin moving out for what could be seen as racist reasons back in the 90's and I remember getting very angry with him about why he said he left, I look at him today with slightly more forgiving and unstanding eyes.

Life for an average worker with old traditional London values/UK values is difficult in todays London, good or bad there it is something completely different than it was, most of my family decided they did not like it and moved out, usually with a big lump of housing equity, which basically means you can live anywhere in the UK.

Only a few remain now

very well put; we've all decamped from East London to Essex, Herts, Northants; last one left (Grandad); died a couple of years ago. In for him, what had become, a pretty alien environment.

4 hours ago, winkie said:

Net departure up more than 80% in five years.....93,000, growing numbers of 30 and 20 year olds, London population has continued to grow driven by people from overseas and births.;)

http://www.thedebrief.co.uk/news/real-life/what-happens-when-we-all-get-priced-out-of-london-20140714236

That article is 3 years old, saying that I don't know if I would stay in London if I were working.  It seems very unfair to me that so many people who don't work here can live here for free when people who work here can't afford to.

1 minute ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

London exodus accelerates....amid collapsing sales volumes.

Just exactly how does that work?

They are renters?  Don't worry housing benefit will find new renters for their landlords.

Edited by iamnumerate

1 minute ago, iamnumerate said:

That article is 3 years old, saying that I don't know if I would stay in London if I were working.  It seems very unfair to me that so many people who don't work here can live here for free when people who work here can't afford to.

Well things have certainty not got any better in the past three years have they, the points remain salient don't they???.....there is no such thing as a free lunch, they need low pay workers to do the low paid jobs don't they?? Who else will clean all the toilets, cars and pack the shelves?.....the rent payers of London?;)

1 minute ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

So renters ate leaving as rents fall...nope...still don't get it. Maybe they are just trying to push this. ..oop north still selling and will go up up up

Well that would explain why rents are falling. Less demand on that front.

Even if rents are falling, it is still mental prices. Rent prices need to drop by a solid 30% minimum before a chunk of the 30s feel like they are less slave to the system.

2 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

So renters ate leaving as rents fall...nope...still don't get it. Maybe they are just trying to push this. ..oop north still selling and will go up up up

So who is propping up the London rents? Working tax payers of London or working benefit claimants?;)

Anecdotal - Boomer I know selling a large family house just two mins' walk from a train station that is under an hour to central London recently had an open day. The EA had arranged only London buyers and vetted all their finances / circumstances. Four offers around asking price level came through. A month later and all have disappeared, none of them having found buyers for their places in the capital.

3 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

Anecdotal - Boomer I know selling a large family house just two mins' walk from a train station that is under an hour to central London recently had an open day. The EA had arranged only London buyers and vetted all their finances / circumstances. Four offers around asking price level came through. A month later and all have disappeared, none of them having found buyers for their places in the capital.

Hardly surprising when interest rates are at rock bottom,MMR and stagnant wages....higher house prices only mean have to raise ever larger sums of debt to move....even moving sideways costs thousands.

Only way is the whole chain to reduce the price starting from the bottom or could be in for a long wait.....people who really want to move can move if they price to sell.;)

24 minutes ago, ThoughtCriminal said:

Racism. Also known as "noticing things".

Noticing changes has nothing to do with racism.....why would so many move to other countries, as well as different places in the same country?....nothing wrong with the people living and working in London, packed polluted roads, difficulty getting doctors appointment, size of classrooms, expensive housing and rents.....sheer weight of traffic.....cost of living, overcrowding on trains.....in fact the diversity of the people is a good thing a benefit.....except if encouraged it must be provided for, it is not only for the few to benefit from lots of new people spending money and requiring services.....lots of recent migrants from home and abroad would be the first to agree that resources are being stretched, it is the recent immigrants who will be in competition with the new immigrants.....then they themselves will notice the changes.;)

Edited by winkie

8 minutes ago, winkie said:

Noticing changes has nothing to do with racism.....why would so many move to other countries, as well as different places in the same country?....nothing wrong with the people living and working in London, packed polluted roads, difficulty getting doctors appointment, size of classrooms, expensive housing and rents.....sheer weight of traffic.....cost of living, overcrowding on trains.....in fact the diversity of the people is a good thing a benefit.....except if encouraged it must be provided for, it is not only for the few to benefit from lots of new people spending money and requiring services.....lots of recent migrants from home and abroad would be the first to agree that resources are being stretched, it is the recent immigrants who will be in competition with the new immigrants.....then they themselves will notice the changes.;)

Actually it is immigrants or Brits who pay their own rent/mortgage who are in competition with those (Brits or not) who get housing paid for them.

28 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

Actually it is immigrants or Brits who pay their own rent/mortgage who are in competition with those (Brits or not) who get housing paid for them.

I am sure if given the opportunity given the means given the job and income.....most people would prefer to pay their own way in life, pay their own bills and rent......thousands of dependent people depending on top ups and hand outs does not make for a healthy society.;)

3 minutes ago, winkie said:

I am sure if given the opportunity given the means given the job and income.....most people would prefer to pay their own way in life, pay their own bills and rent......thousands of dependent people depending on top ups and hand outs does not make for a healthy society.;)

Sadly some are quite happy not to - or rather think they deserve it because they have children.  Have you never seen some of the BBC programmes on benefit cuts?

1 minute ago, iamnumerate said:

Sadly some are quite happy not to - or rather think they deserve it because they have children.  Have you never seen some of the BBC programmes on benefit cuts?

No....we have created the policies so we get the behaviours.....children can't choose their parents and every child has two parents....the state should not be the other one....family should in an ideal world help with the children born within it......maybe I am old fashioned.;)

2 minutes ago, winkie said:

No....we have created the policies so we get the behaviours.....children can't choose their parents and every child has two parents....the state should not be the other one....family should in an ideal world help with the children born within it......maybe I am old fashioned.;)

I am not quite sure what you are saying so I am not sure whether you are old fashioned or ot.

6 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

I am not quite sure what you are saying so I am not sure whether you are old fashioned or ot.

Family always looked after family, extended family helped out, days gone by the whole village knew the children and looked out for them.....then around the eighties instead of council housing going to working people at low rent and security it was given to single mums, unemployed homeless, sick etc.......so to escape home some girls knew they could get their freedom and independence, a house some money by having a baby, so they did, some parents encouraged it.....the rest is history.......but kids grow up, there are many women out there who have never worked, more are finding they will need to work, nothing stays the same forever.......times change.;)

6 minutes ago, winkie said:

Family always looked after family, extended family helped out, days gone by the whole village knew the children and looked out for them.....then around the eighties instead of council housing going to working people at low rent and security it was given to single mums, unemployed homeless, sick etc.......so to escape home some girls knew they could get their freedom and independence, a house some money by having a baby, so they did, some parents encouraged it.....the rest is history.......but kids grow up, there are many women out there who have never worked, more are finding they will need to work, nothing stays the same forever.......times change.;)

So you think the rule change was a mistake - same here.  We could change it back.

3 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

So you think the rule change was a mistake - same here.  We could change it back.

We should of course care for all children.....but we should also see that parents are educated.;)

10 hours ago, winkie said:

https://www.ft.com/content/f3e54a3e-6e3c-11e7-b9c7-15af748b60d0

They will be replaced by EU and Non EU arrivals. 

11 minutes ago, winkie said:

We should of course care for all children.....but we should also see that parents are educated.;)

We don't really care for children at the moment, just give their parents money.