House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FANG

IPTV

With the BBC debacle and increasing cost of Virgin and Sky TV.  I'm thinking of changing to IPTV to get better value for money.

They are promoting 2900 channels for a subscription of a tenner a month and a large range of receivers between 50 - 100 quid.

Does anyone use it and is it any good. What are the best subscription packages and receivers and is it reliable. Does any one know if the subscription serves multiple receivers. 

I know I still have to have a decent broadband connection and TV licence to factor in. 

You do realise what "they" are offering is completely illegal don't you? As such, no it isn't reliable it is liable to disappear without warning and in a worst case scenario you could find yourself in court.

If you don't watch anything live on tv that is currently being broadcast live on terrestrial (ie, that you've receive using an aerial), or anything on BBC iplayer, then you don't need a tv license.

The Netflix and Amazon prime offerings are legal and give much more in the way of viewing options than the BBC, if not quite '2900 channels'.

['channels' doesn't really make sense in an on-demand iptv world]

Other than that, why do you need to watch so much TV?  If you reduce to about 30mins a day then you'll find a much smaller range of options will suffice.

Everything dgul says is correct but someone offering "2900 channels for a tenner a month" is definitely not legal. Whether or not you have a TV licence will be the least of your concerns using something like that.