House Price Crash Forum
Errol

The Strange Death of Europe - Book by Douglas Murray

For some reason, my previous posts of this seminal book were deleted (or disappeared). It's a mainstream book/publication, available (and a best seller) on Amazon and in all good book shops. Published by Bloomsbury and reviewed in all major newspapers. I can't think why a discussion of the book would not be allowed on HpC (in the correct forum area).

Anyway, I read this book - The Strange Death of Europe: Immigration, Identity, Islam by Douglas Murray - a few weeks ago. I feel it is one of the most seminal books of the last 10 years and should probably be read by anyone with even a passing interest in what is taking place in Europe.

I'm putting this thread for discussion of the book in what I feel is the correct forum area - 'Current Affairs'.

From the amazon blurb:

The Strange Death of Europe is a highly personal account of a continent and culture caught in the act of suicide. Declining birth-rates, mass immigration and cultivated self-distrust and self-hatred have come together to make Europeans unable to argue for themselves and incapable of resisting their own comprehensive change as a society. This book is not only an analysis of demographic and political realities, but also an eyewitness account of a continent in self-destruct mode. It includes reporting from across the entire continent, from the places where migrants land to the places they end up, from the people who appear to welcome them in to the places which cannot accept them.

Told from this first-hand perspective, and backed with impressive research and evidence, the book addresses the disappointing failure of multiculturalism, Angela Merkel s U-turn on migration, the lack of repatriation and the Western fixation on guilt. Murray travels to Berlin, Paris, Scandinavia, Lampedusa and Greece to uncover the malaise at the very heart of the European culture, and to hear the stories of those who have arrived in Europe from far away. In each chapter he also takes a step back to look at the bigger issues which lie behind a continent s death-wish, answering the question of why anyone, let alone an entire civilisation, would do this to themselves? He ends with two visions of Europe one hopeful, one pessimistic which paint a picture of Europe in crisis and offer a choice as to what, if anything, we can do next.

Can be purchased on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Strange-Death-Europe-Immigration-Identity/dp/1472942248

Image result for the strange death of europe

Edited by Errol

Funnily enough just started reading this book myself. Personally I like Murray, I think he puts his points across on the whole in a sensible measured manner. I might put more thoughts down when I have finished the book. So far its quite depressing and hard to get through. 

My own personal experience is that there is a severe problem with Ghettoisation in the UK, whole areas of London for instance are completely devoid of a white english presence. Having said that, I grew up in a very multicultural area of London and many of my friends are 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants. They are as much culturally british as I am, even those who grew up in Muslim backgrounds. I know very many 1st generation eastern europeans, who i would consider friends, culturally they are european and there is very little difference between them and me. 

There is definitely a problem with the integration of some immigrants, I don't think anyone can deny that. I'm not sure about his correlation with terrorism however as on the whole most terrorist incidents are not caused by migrants.

I found it a very depressing book as well. Didn't disagree with much, if anything. On the whole, a great read but not a happy book by any means. The truth is just very bleak, I'm sorry to say.

With all the insanity and censorship going on at the moment, I strongly advise everyone interested to get a copy of this seminal book.

I'm surprised it hasn't been banned yet.

This seems relevant ....

Europe Is Committing Demographic Suicide

"In the coming 30 years, the number of Africans will grow by more than one billion people. That is twice the population of the entire European Union... The demographic pressure will be enormous. Last year, more than 180,000 people crossed in shabby boats from Libya. And this is just the beginning. According to EU Commissioner Avramopoulos, at this very moment, 3 million migrants are waiting to enter Europe". — Geert Wilders, MP, The Netherlands, and leader of the Party for Freedom and Democracy 

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-08-21/europe-committing-demographic-suicide

Its easy to "predict" stuff if we all just draw straight line graphs - population increasing, religion dying, fertility collapsing. We all need a narrative which fits into our personal experience and the market is there to provide it to you. The older we get the more we understand, but the less we can think of new ideas, constantly seeing the world as a recycling of what we understand.

I have often thought about the ideas in this book, but I've come to the conclusion that the future is in a practical sense unknowable, especially the further out you try and predict (e.g 30 years etc). Could you have imagined the internet in 1970? Or space travel in 1920? Trump for president in 1990? Life is full of surprises and actually doesn't last that long. The writers and visionaries out there will continually push the boundaries and invent because that's what they are driven to do. In a way, there is no altruism, you're simply doing what you want and the consequences for others are good or bad.

Its better to take every day as it comes, protect yourself from knowable unknowns e.g where will I eat, live, provide for my family etc than to constantly look at bigger pictures that actually fit together only due to our biased narrative. 

A few points to be a bit more upbeat:

Always count on human ingenuity, in my experience there is always someone out there much much smarter than you

Enjoy your life in the present, enjoying the little things they will improve your world view

Housing will rise and fall, sometimes these will happen outside of your life time, there is nothing you can do about it. Its better than being sent to war through conscription because you were born at the wrong time.

22 hours ago, katchytitle said:

Could you have imagined the internet in 1970? Or space travel in 1920? Trump for president in 1990?

Yes to all of these. Plenty of people were imagining these things or similar things. I personally can come up with any number of ideas for 50-100 years into the future. There is almost nothing that would be a surprise to me now.

Edited by Errol

This alone should make us all glad that we are leaving. And the quicker the better!

European Court Orders EU Countries To Take Migrants

The September 6 ruling, which has been hailed as a victory for European federalism, highlights the degree to which the European Union has usurped decision-making powers from its 28 member states. The ruling also showcases how the EU's organs of jurisprudence have become politicized.

The European Court of Justice (ECJ) ruled that the European Commission, the powerful executive arm of the European Union, has the legal right to order EU member states to take in so-called asylum seekers, and, conversely, that EU member states have no legal right to resist those orders.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-09-07/european-court-orders-eu-countries-take-migrants

On 7/22/2017 at 12:02 PM, Errol said:

For some reason, my previous posts of this seminal book were deleted (or disappeared). It's a mainstream book/publication, available (and a best seller) on Amazon and in all good book shops. Published by Bloomsbury and reviewed in all major newspapers. I can't think why a discussion of the book would not be allowed on HpC (in the correct forum area).

I think we're seeing the efforts of powerful politicians and tech companies bear fruit. Remember the embarrassing clip of Zuckerberg and Merkel over a dinner table at an awards ceremony a couple of years ago, when they didn't know the mike was still live? Merkel asked him what he was doing about criticism of her immigration policy on Facebook, and Zuckeberg replied "we're working on it...". Well they did, and we're seeing ever increasing censorship and debate stifling as a result. 

'Black Pidgeon Speaks' on Youtube, in another demonetised and age restricted vid, suggests that the censorship is going to reach a peak on the run up to the 2020 US election.

I am pretty pessimistic about the medium/long term survival of western European civilization at this point, for many of the reasons that Murray describes in his book.

On 2017/09/18 at 5:49 AM, newbonic said:

I am pretty pessimistic about the medium/long term survival of western European civilization at this point, for many of the reasons that Murray describes in his book.

Restoring Western civilization would require such massive changes that I can't see it happening unless there are rivers of blood in the streets. And then, it will probably be too late.

On the plus side. when Sweden collapses in a few years, it will encourage the opposition in the other nations. But elections every four or five years is far too slow a pace for the changes that would be required to save it.

On 18/09/2017 at 10:43 AM, Errol said:

Good to see Hungary taking action:

Hungary Builds A Wall, Cuts Illegal Immigration By Over 99%

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-09-18/hungary-builds-wall-cuts-illegal-immigration-over-99

Maybe Hungary is different from the UK, but whilst there is a problem with illegal immigration in the UK the sheer weight of legal numbers concerns me much more.

Another reason for us to leave ASAP. And are these actually refugees (in which case refugees are temporary and should return home at some point) or economic migrants (which we don't want or need)?

EU Unveils Plan To Resettle More North African Refugees, Support Project With 500 Million Euros

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-09-27/eu-unveils-plan-resettle-more-north-african-refugees-support-project-500-million-eur

So you are saying the book which is the subject of this thread is 'anti-West'?

Interesting view. From my perspective, the book and the bits and pieces I've posted are very much pro-Western and emphasising the need for the West to protect itself if it wants to survive.

And if we must bring Russia into it, it is not in Russia's interests at all to have a destroyed West or a West overrun with Africans/Islamic terrorists on its doorstep.

4 hours ago, Errol said:

So you are saying the book which is the subject of this thread is 'anti-West'?

Interesting view. From my perspective, the book and the bits and pieces I've posted are very much pro-Western and emphasising the need for the West to protect itself if it wants to survive.

And if we must bring Russia into it, it is not in Russia's interests at all to have a destroyed West or a West overrun with Africans/Islamic terrorists on its doorstep.

I have absolutely no idea why you are so sold on Russia being benign and Putin a hero?

But if you have ever done any business with Russians, you will find they are usually not what they say they are. As for Putin worrying about Islam in Europe and its destruction, nothing would give him greater pleasure (well maybe America's fall).

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/putin-wages-hybrid-war-on-germany-and-west-a-1075483.html

On 10/2/2017 at 6:54 PM, jonb2 said:

I have absolutely no idea why you are so sold on Russia being benign and Putin a hero?

He's Russian

14 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

He's Russian

Ah yes, the obvious catch-all for anyone who doesn't subscribe to the Western world view, or anyone who talks about subjects outside the boundaries of what we are supposed to talk about (see Obama's classic comment about defining 'truthiness' boundaries which we should be made to stay inside).

Some reviews of the Book  

https://thefederalist.com/2017/09/29/strange-death-europe-says-europes-decline-choice/ 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/14/books/review/crisis-of-multiculturalism-in-europe-rita-chin-immigration.html

Edited by Errol

You trying to suggest that Russians are free to think what they want? In country where having different opinions or supporting the wrong party will get you jailed/killed?

Anti-western propaganda like this is part of Russia's war on the West. No different to Pravda during the Cold War.

The West is corrupt, decadent, failing every thing bad etc

. Meanwhile, Russia really is all of those things.

17 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

Anti-western propaganda like this is part of Russia's war on the West. No different to Pravda during the Cold War.

Possibly, but the converse very definitely applies and has done for decades i.e. that Anti-Russian propaganda is part of The West's war on Russia. To deny this would be nonsense.

Anyway, none of this has anything to do with the book 'The Strange Death of Europe'. Unless you are saying that the Author is working for the Russians or is in some way anti-Western? As I stated earlier, the book is actually pro-Western and pro-Europe, in that it is trying to get Europe to come to its senses before it is too late! Otherwise Europe as we know it simply won't exist.

Edited by Errol