House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jamw

IDS backs landlords, calls for tax review

44 minutes ago, jamw said:

Of course, as soon as a policy appears to have a positive effect on housing prices (ie falling) the parties with vested interests start crying to change it.

So predictable.. 

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/buytolet/article-4714232/Iain-Duncan-Smith-backs-landlords-calls-tax-review.html

Just as I suspected - interesting he and Rees-Mogg are born from the same sty.

They are both fervent Brexiteers too.

They want their own playground it seems.

Sadly for IDS, the government needs the tax too much.

Flushing out the BTL-ers and taxing their capital gains is what they desperately need to do to raise funds.  I would expect them to raise taxes on landlords rather than reduce them.

S24 only really affects those who are (a) higher rate taxpayers AND (b) leveraged.  The leveraged basic rate taxpayers and the unleveraged higher rate taxpayers are entirely unaffected.  In order to achieve fairness, the government should turn its attention to these groups.

31 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

Just as I suspected - interesting he and Rees-Mogg are born from the same sty.

They are both fervent Brexiteers too.

They want their own playground it seems.

Imagine - pure sovereign power to bake in the housing wealth inequality.

As an aside, purely by coincidence this EU directive comes into force in 2019...

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/company-tax/anti-tax-avoidance-package/anti-tax-avoidance-directive_en 

We don't want any of that kind of nasty red tape here ;)

5 minutes ago, Futuroid said:

As an aside, purely by coincidence this EU directive comes into force in 2019...

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/company-tax/anti-tax-avoidance-package/anti-tax-avoidance-directive_en 

We don't want any of that kind of nasty red tape here ;)

This is exactly what I fear most. Brexiteers say they are voting against the establishment, when in fact there are many pro-Brexit loudhailers, like these two, who have VIs and are very much pillars of the establishment.

In the palace of Oz, you've got to look behind the curtain.

"there will still be a continuing growth in demand and a significant part of this will have to be available through private landlords. "

Or on other words he's suddenly realised his own property investments are falling. He's jealous that Gideon sold up at the peak.

Edited by Si1

1 minute ago, Si1 said:

Or on other words he's suddenly realised his own property investments are falling.

I suspect his pal Andrea 'Buy To' Leadsom might be in the same boat

an odious **** who's never had to pay for his own housing, Labour are targetting his Chingford seat as his majority is only about 2k.

Clearly orchestrated to win back the support of landlords. The tories are not stupid enough to be seen to be subsidising landlords to gamble with large amounts of borrowed money at a time where ordinary people are increasingly being priced out. I'd say the vast majority of people, even OOs, have a negative opinion of landlords. Many will have experienced the kind of "service" they provide if they rented before buying. 

Of course the false hope will only encourage the overindebted chancers to stay at the table longer and probably end up losing their shirts! Oh dear.

Funny to watch though.

And who better to be offered up as a sacrificial lamb but IDS. The obvious choice. It's perfect. 

3 minutes ago, frederico said:

The MPs on all sides are incompetent and out of touch, 

The BOE is incompetent and out of touch, how do you think this is going to pan out?

...In touch or not, they are past caring.....look after part of society not all of it, the part that means the most to them.;)

11 minutes ago, winkie said:

...In touch or not, they are past caring.....look after part of society not all of it, the part that means the most to them.;)

Look after THEIR part of society

2 hours ago, Lovely Rum said:

one of the reasons i voted remain is that i point blank refuse to share a platform with the likes of ids

As opposed to war criminals like Blair or Goldman Sachs of Ryanair who backed remain?

i just voted on the basis of the issue - and I have no regrets about my leave vote. If Brexif makes housing a little more affordable even better. We had a Tory majority government pre the referendum - look at it now.

I heard some 12 odd years ago and from a very reliable source that IDS is/was on the Kent Freemasons scene. Also heard about him telling his Kentish buddies about soon to be proposed tax changes coming up in Parliament.

I've been agreeing with everything IDS has said for a number of years especially about Brexit and cuts to benefits, but on this - he is totally wrong. His wife who has property must be clouding his vision. IDS!!! Wake up smell the coffee, BTL is everything wrong with this country! This was the only good policy from Osborne when he ran the show.