House Price Crash Forum

desperate attempt to generate mood of hysteria...if they get more than one call you can be sure they will have them visit at the same time...they don't want to space the visits they come to bunch them together...

thing is the technique works when and where there is demand...my mate just sold his house after a one afternoon open day

1 minute ago, Wayward said:

desperate attempt to generate mood of hysteria...if they get more than one call you can be sure they will have them visit at the same time...they don't want to space the visits they come to bunch them together...

thing is the technique works when and where there is demand...my mate just sold his house after a one afternoon open day

Might have worked 2 years ago, now....no think so.

3 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Might have worked 2 years ago, now....no think so.

Sorry Count it did work for my mate last week...I was hoping he would report disappointing interest but instead he had around ten visitors on the day and offers over asking price after mood of hysteria adequately whipped up.  this is mid Hampshire...on these very low transaction volumes it only takes a handful of wealthy and naïve folk to keep this ticking along...we are going to need a considerable change in the economic climate to change this...it will change...but question is when..

According to one for sale sign in my Shropshire town there will be an open day on one of the houses...

In April 2017 :D

5 hours ago, Wayward said:

Sorry Count it did work for my mate last week...I was hoping he would report disappointing interest but instead he had around ten visitors on the day and offers over asking price after mood of hysteria adequately whipped up.  this is mid Hampshire...on these very low transaction volumes it only takes a handful of wealthy and naïve folk to keep this ticking along...we are going to need a considerable change in the economic climate to change this...it will change...but question is when..

Let us know when it completes, seriously, it's always good to hear what happens ultimately.

5 hours ago, btd1981 said:

According to one for sale sign in my Shropshire town there will be an open day on one of the houses...

In April 2017 :D

Was one near me 3 years ago, people were queuing round the bloke, I have never seen anything like it before, or since. It was literally 1 in, 1 out.

Never sold.

Was taken off the market eventually.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Was one near me 3 years ago, people were queuing round the bloke, I have never seen anything like it before, or since. It was literally 1 in, 1 out.

Never sold.

Was taken off the market eventually.

Better be paying their council tax!

Come on this is Prime Hertfordshire, Sg5, do you shopping in Stevenage at the weekend, yet be close to your prime commute into london?

Gotta be worth at least 400k? Ok, i exaggerate, maybe 300k?

11 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

If I lived locally I might have done :lol:

The only ones that'll go, are the nosy neighbours from around the corner...I've also noticed "open days" for rentals now...

1 minute ago, Dave Beans said:

The only ones that'll go, are the nosy neighbours from around the corner...I've also noticed "open days" for rentals now...

The reason EAs have open days is to get all the buyers round at the same time to try to drum up interest.

That may work for a nice 350,000k prime fixer upper in a good area, but not for a 1,5mill overpriced new build in stevenage.

The count says sstc this weekend, I say lots of reductions and still unsold in 2018 :):):)

"open days" for rentals - this has to be a sign that agents are struggling.

I thought it was bad enough that rightmove have introduced a rent and advert - even the sellers are bailing out!

I used to live in Pirton back in the days when I owned a house.

If Pirton hasn't changed (and I don't think it has) then I'm sad to say that I think this one will actually have no problem selling.  The unfathomable snob value of the village is high in the surrounding areas and it's convenient enough for London whilst being "blissfully rural".

I hope I'm wrong and it sits there but my gut tells me it won't.

'Funniest' one I've  seen in the past few months is for a maisonette in Tooting where prices went even crazier than average since about 2011.   It's seriously dated - very likely a probate sale - and is being marketed by some EA on the Essex coast - maybe it belonged to a relative of one of the staff.  

It was originally priced at even more than identical-layout ones on the same road that were nicely done up.  I know EAs are not renowned for their staggering  intellect, but you'd think they might have checked what similar were going for and priced to allow for renovation.   After a few 'nibble' reductions and a very optimistic open day, it's still unsold and still priced at more than at least one identical but very well modernised in the same road. 

I suppose it's  just possible that it's not the EA.  Maybe the owner is refusing to 'give it away...'. 

23 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

I used to live in Pirton back in the days when I owned a house.

If Pirton hasn't changed (and I don't think it has) then I'm sad to say that I think this one will actually have no problem selling.  The unfathomable snob value of the village is high in the surrounding areas and it's convenient enough for London whilst being "blissfully rural".

I hope I'm wrong and it sits there but my gut tells me it won't.

I'm just a few miles away and no it hasn't changed.

On 7/20/2017 at 11:23 PM, GreenDevil said:

How ******ing much! Is this Rightmove site a joke?

Wouldn't an open day be a bit degrading for the average 1.5 mil price bracket buyer, or are they expecting a lot of ftb/investor interest? ;)