House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wish I could afford one

New £10 Note

Its the slippiness of these new polymer notes that bothers me, as I'm someone who has never owned a wallet and just keep cash in my pocket I'm forever paranoid that they could easily slide out especially when climbing in and out of my car etc

15 minutes ago, Drummer said:

Will be the last issue, before we go fully electronic currency IMO.

probably.  my bank told me if i wanted 50's i'd have to come back at 4pm because they only have what comes in over the counter in the day.  they have not suggested replacing the 50 note in plastic.

Before 2008 there was talk of stopping stocking atms with 5 notes because no one used them, after the crash now they're restocking atms with 5's

2 hours ago, wish I could afford one said:

The new £5 note is smaller than the old £5 and now the new £10 note is smaller than the old £10.  A nice theme is appearing.  It's so nice of the Bank of England to show the masses just how inflation works.  I wonder if anyone will notice...

Not really much to say on this apart from already said on the above post. 

Beat the bankers take your money out of the system. Gold/bitcoin.

10 hours ago, giggler000 said:

Before 2008 there was talk of stopping stocking atms with 5 notes because no one used them, after the crash now they're restocking atms with 5's

Most commonly used note in my experience (at least when people actually have one and don't have to use a £20 for something that costs £3), the main reason for them not being in cash machines very often is probably just because they'd have to fill them up more often.

Edited by Riedquat

12 hours ago, nome said:

Its the slippiness of these new polymer notes that bothers me, as I'm someone who has never owned a wallet and just keep cash in my pocket I'm forever paranoid that they could easily slide out especially when climbing in and out of my car etc

Slippery and artificial, just like bankers and monetary policy in general!

Perhaps they are making them deliberately unappealing in every respect to smooth the path for the ultimate goal of getting rid of cash all together so they can watch and monitor our every transaction and movement.

12 hours ago, Drummer said:

Will be the last issue, before we go fully electronic currency IMO.

I think that full electronic, whilst it's the direction of travel, will take a lot longer than people think, just logistically.  You need to make sure that everyone, from a 9-year-old paying for their school bus, to a 99-year-old, is set up with an electronic system that they understand and can use.  It could take until I'm 99 to put that infrastructure in place.

12 hours ago, giggler000 said:

probably.  my bank told me if i wanted 50's i'd have to come back at 4pm because they only have what comes in over the counter in the day.  they have not suggested replacing the 50 note in plastic.

That's because not many folk actually use £50 notes.  Even as Treasurer for an organisation I probably only see 1 per year.

39 minutes ago, Wayward said:

Perhaps they are making them deliberately unappealing in every respect to smooth the path for the ultimate goal of getting rid of cash all together so they can watch and monitor our every transaction and movement.

Most young people I meet would probably be absolutely fine with a cashless world.  Every time I try to pay someone under 25 in cash they wince and say "can't you give me an online payment instead?".  I literally tried to hand someone £90 in cash and they wouldn't take it and said "pay me online".  Transitioning to cashless, whilst something a lot of people on this site are wary of,  would be welcomed with open arms by youngsters I think.

I hardly ever use cash. But if it looked like they were seriously trying to push that agenda then I'd try to use it as much as possible.

Problem is it will be subtle and steady proliferation of contactless pay machines for everything, then suddenly cash is gone before you really noticed.

1 hour ago, scottbeard said:

...  I literally tried to hand someone £90 in cash and they wouldn't take it and said "pay me online".  

isn't this illegal in shops...they have to accept legal tender...? Or was this a mate..?

I use cash for all day to day spending...I am totally bemused by the prats that buy a £3 drink at the bar with a card...the move towards cashless suits the banks, the state and business...not us..

3 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

I wonder if Carney will test this one in someone's lunch?

Yuck!

rtsnixx.jpg

WTF is he doing..?  Is this a genuine photo...? Idiot.  What is the message?...that he has debased the currency so much that its only fit for flavouring curry..?

16 hours ago, nome said:

I hate them my lovely money counter does not like them either.

They are to springy also 

24 minutes ago, Wayward said:

WTF is he doing..?  Is this a genuine photo...? Idiot.  What is the message?...that he has debased the currency so much that its only fit for flavouring curry..?

Sure is :rolleyes:.

Just about every man and his dog had had their dirty paws on that note before it was put into the food.  Carney touched it and he'd just come out of the BoE - yuck.

Edited by billybong

15 hours ago, GreenDevil said:

This.

Who cares what the government does with its toilet paper? It's all scrip anyway, get rid of that crap as quickly as possible

16 hours ago, GreenDevil said:
18 hours ago, wish I could afford one said:

The new £5 note is smaller than the old £5 and now the new £10 note is smaller than the old £10.  A nice theme is appearing.  It's so nice of the Bank of England to show the masses just how inflation works.  I wonder if anyone will notice...

Better still, take your money out of the country and spend it elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Wayward said:

isn't this illegal in shops...they have to accept legal tender...? Or was this a mate..?

It was just a friend - but it baffles me why people prefer to have an online payment than cash-in-hand.  Sometimes the reason given is "if I have cash I just spend it" - which doesn't give me much confidence in their financial self-control :(

7 hours ago, Wayward said:

are you honestly suggesting that tony blair's mugshot should be on the new £50 note?