House Price Crash Forum

Home improvement slowdown

HOLA441
10 hours ago, Darby Ram said:

Yeah, my back of an envelope estimate is that you could furnish an unfurnished flat/small house from scratch for around £5K, and buy good enough quality stuff that it will last you ten years. If you had the patience to do the furniture part via an auction, you could probably get things even cheaper that would last even longer. But, regardless, the difference between a rented flat that you furnish yourself and a furnished flat that a landlord has thrown together from stuff in the local charity shop is like night and day. I'm sure that, as the nesting instinct kicks in and tenants become older/wealthier, people will just gravitate towards that option. (Also, having seen how cost effective this method is, if I bought in the future, you'd have a hard time convincing me to drop ten grand on a new kitchen unless it was a true crime against good taste; I'd just buy a fancy toaster to distract people. :D)  

I've never thought much about what we've not spent on maintenance or doing up a house.But I suspect it's substantial.We rent nice pads on 4% gross yields,at which price it just doesn't stack up to buy.As you move up the property food chain,the rental value is even more compelling.

When the place looks like it needs a lick of paint,we move to somewhere that doesn't.

Virtually every place we rent has been unfurnished.

HOLA442
2 hours ago, Ash4781 said:

I bet they are listed on a junior market maybe AIM so this may in part be to crap financial reporting. My other guess was more people buying htb new builds but I am still thinking it's classic AIM behaviour!

Ash,I think you missed the quote for context?

HOLA443
HOLA444
29 minutes ago, Ash4781 said:

Sorry it was the OP re Safestyle profit warning. 

Cheers Ash,

You're right,they are AIM lsited

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/prices-and-markets/stocks/new-and-recent-issues/new-recent-issue-details.html?issueId=8926

https://www.google.co.uk/finance?q=safestyle&ei=dHxwWZn9J4GUUq2vvJAF

There's something about double glazing salesmen.....................

I tend to feel that the purchase of double glazing by homeowners is intrinsically linked to two things

1) security of tenure-will you be there long enough for the savings to pay for it

2) rising equity-who'd put £15,000 of double glazing onto a house worth £80k?

I wouldn't be rushing in to buy the dip here.

HOLA445
22 minutes ago, Sancho Panza said:

Cheers Ash,

You're right,they are AIM lsited

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/prices-and-markets/stocks/new-and-recent-issues/new-recent-issue-details.html?issueId=8926

https://www.google.co.uk/finance?q=safestyle&ei=dHxwWZn9J4GUUq2vvJAF

There's something about double glazing salesmen.....................

I tend to feel that the purchase of double glazing by homeowners is intrinsically linked to two things

1) security of tenure-will you be there long enough for the savings to pay for it

2) rising equity-who'd put £15,000 of double glazing onto a house worth £80k?

I wouldn't be rushing in to buy the dip here.

Yeah I don't know the sector. I imagine those that make the pvc profiles and the glass are a lot bigger companies. When it says manufacturing for Safestyle I don't think they are making glass units, and pvc profiles ? I guess they have scale but with double glazing   prices (at least the quotes I got) they pluck numbers out of the air !