House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

UK inflation unexpectedly slows to 2.6% in June

24 minutes ago, adarmo said:

When's the next rate rise?

I have it on very good authority that Carney will raise rates on the 12th of Never.

100% guaranteed. 

5 minutes ago, Tempus said:

I have it on very good authority that Carney will raise rates on the 12th of Never.

100% guaranteed. 

King Carney will raise rates when he's told to.

42 minutes ago, adarmo said:

When's the next rate rise?

The Bank told the market that it intended to keep the Bank rate at its current historically low 0.5%, at least until the unemployment rate fell to 7% or below. Sorry that's old news from 2013, things are different now.

7 minutes ago, TwoTearsInABucket said:

When there is parity with the Euro.

No, they didnt do that the last time :lol:

We are controlled by the US.

I'd imagine they already have their plan and they will be sticking to it.

28 minutes ago, rollover said:

The Bank told the market that it intended to keep the Bank rate at its current historically low 0.5%, at least until the unemployment rate fell to 7% or below. Sorry that's old news from 2013, things are different now.

LOL! Japan syndrome?

Someone was telling me it's the market that controls the BoE. 

24 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

Anybody got any thoughts on the drop in inflation?

Oil prices, pure and simple.

If the BoE want to stop inflation they can raise IRs, strength the £ and drop oil prices.

If they want to poor to starve....

52 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

Anybody got any thoughts on the drop in inflation?

Oil as above, china still exporting deflation & the major bump in inflation in the first place was the drop in £ and all the manufacturers etc using any excuses to bump up prices in Britain.. More consumer debt to service = Less demand for rubbish? 

...and why did it drop?...petrol prices and the cost of computer games..FFS!...good to see the CPI is a relevant measure of the impoertant things in life life food (that actually increased) and housing!

Tomorrow's headlines today...

At the August BoE meeting, Carney will say "In light of the positive decline in inflation in June, the Bank has decided to keep..."

You just know that's what will happen. 

1 hour ago, satch said:

Just seen the 90 second BBC news update .....' there has been a fall in the cost of living.' was the announcement, If the BBC can't understand the difference between a fall in the rate of prices increases and a fall in the cost of living ..... but I suspect they know exactly what the difference is .... like paying down the deficit, implying reducing the debt. Lie after lie after lie.

2 hours ago, satch said:

Just seen the 90 second BBC news update .....' there has been a fall in the cost of living.' was the announcement, If the BBC can't understand the difference between a fall in the rate of prices increases and a fall in the cost of living ..... but I suspect they know exactly what the difference is .... like paying down the deficit, implying reducing the debt. Lie after lie after lie.

Absolutely.It's a 0.1%(or is it 0.3%?) drop mom,a drop in the ocean compared to the previous 7 years of missing their inflation target and real incomes dropping. 

Edited by Sancho Panza

https://notayesmanseconomics.wordpress.com/2017/07/18/welcome-relief-for-uk-real-wages-from-lower-inflation-numbers/

Shaun Richards

'In terms of inflation I would like to draw your attention to a problem which the UK establishment does its best to try to sweep under the carpet. This is that the old inflation target called RPIX is at 3.8% but the newer CPI is at 2.6% with the gap now being 1.2% which is very significant. Also there is the issue that we pay things at RPI ( Retail Price Index) currently at 3.5% but only receive CPI currently at 2.6% which is quite an establishment scam.'

6 minutes ago, Sancho Panza said:

https://notayesmanseconomics.wordpress.com/2017/07/18/welcome-relief-for-uk-real-wages-from-lower-inflation-numbers/

Shaun Richards

'In terms of inflation I would like to draw your attention to a problem which the UK establishment does its best to try to sweep under the carpet. This is that the old inflation target called RPIX is at 3.8% but the newer CPI is at 2.6% with the gap now being 1.2% which is very significant. Also there is the issue that we pay things at RPI ( Retail Price Index) currently at 3.5% but only receive CPI currently at 2.6% which is quite an establishment scam.'

A Labour Scam ?

14 minutes ago, maverick73 said:

A Labour Scam ?

Absolutely right!

If they hadn't changed the preferred measure then we would not be here today. 

In the last 10 years my deferred pension has gone up by more than the workers pay still working there.Their final salary pensions of course going up with the cpi linked pay (or less) while my deferred pension goes up with RPI.In this brave new world im better off for leaving and doing jack all than staying and working my socks off.While the state sucks up and spends more and more resources working people get poorer and poorer.

6 hours ago, durhamborn said:

In the last 10 years my deferred pension has gone up by more than the workers pay still working there.Their final salary pensions of course going up with the cpi linked pay (or less) while my deferred pension goes up with RPI.In this brave new world im better off for leaving and doing jack all than staying and working my socks off.While the state sucks up and spends more and more resources working people get poorer and poorer.

That's the only method the government has to vacuum the money back into its coffers ?

It seems everyday that the pound goes up or down on the promise of a potential interest rate rise...and someone prior mentioned that these latest figures will be a convenient excuse for Carney not to increase interest rate, but has anybody any thoughts on such actions?...By this I mean, will thhe market get tired of "the boy who cried wolf" once to often and then start to ignore him/his statements.