House Price Crash Forum

BBC sketch nails it

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Yep...places people might actually use as a roof over their heads are just like pieces of art, or precious stamps to these investor c%^%s. I almost want to see Corbyn as PM in the hope that he will tax these people into oblivion...except it would forever banish me to Canada as if I returned I would probably also be taxed to oblivion.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
5 hours ago, Drummer said:

Funny, I wonder how much a typical estate agent earns? Priced out of many places I imagine, particularly those aged under 35

Fckall.

Its a long time since Ive seen an agents pay slip - pre NMW.

Back then their basic would barely cover toast and tea.

Id guess their minimum must be NMW - so 12k.

HOLA448
HOLA449

What's the bigger problem? Greek magnate with his buy to leave or the English with their lack of aversion to extreme debt and love of hoarding property via buy to let and accidental landlordism. Would love to see a sketch challenging the notion that: fill out mortgage application, buy crap house in Walsall, hand over to letting agent and throw in some priced out renters in the midst of a housing crisis is some sort of achievement or entrepreneurship. I suspect that may not get as may giggles. 

Edited by AvoidDebt

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
2 hours ago, nome said:

Coincides conveniently with this news from the BBC...

''Overseas landlords shun the UK, as tax changes bite''

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40608995

It is very much in the interest of the BBC to assist an HPC, will help with their anti-Brexit narrative as they push for a second referendum in 18 months time. They will be able to say what a disaster it all has been, but we can still step back from the abyss.

HOLA4412
6 hours ago, wotsthat said:

Not sure if she intened it, but that's not comedy thats hard hitting social observation that should be on prime time TV instead of that dogmatic dross question time

I am a big fan of Tracy Ullman and since she is great at impersonating many of the political leaders ( handy three are female) I would say what you see and the message was very much intended 

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Interestingly, my understanding is that this kind of property investment is best done by those foreigners who have no pre-existing ties to the United Kingdom. 

I asked some high earning British expatriate friends in the Middle East ( non- British property owners, but financially well capable of being so) whether they were going to buy an investment property in Britain if property prices fell markedly. 

Their opinion was hell no, as their tax accountants had warned them that this would make them targets for HMRC, who would use that purchase as potential evidence that they were UK tax resident, and then tax their sky high Saudi tax free salaries accordingly. 

Interestingly, I then ran the same scenario past some Australian expats in the Emirates on the subject of possibly buying property in Australia in the event of a downturn, and their opinion was exactly the same. They had received the same advice their tax accountants/lawyers in OZ. The best and safest way NOT to be considered an Australian Tax resident by the ATO was NOT to have any property there. 

Although I think this kind of attitude is playing it safe to an extreme degree, there does seem something utterly perverse in the fact that you can be a Russian or a Greek investor buying in London, or a Chinese investor buying in Sydney, and feel perfectly safe that you won't be bothered by local tax authorities wanting to know your income, ( and potentially taxing it) whereas a citizen of the UK or Australia feels at some small but definite risk of having such a threat if they make exactly the same purchase. 

It sure is a screwed up world. 

HOLA4415
7 hours ago, HovelinHove said:

Not sure if this has been posted before, if it has...delete it, otherwise hits the nail on the head of the totally f@#$ed up UK property market.

Subliminal messaging from the ever controlling BBC.

Guess what's coming next.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
7 hours ago, wotsthat said:

Not sure if she intened it, but that's not comedy thats hard hitting social observation that should be on prime time TV instead of that dogmatic dross question time

Tracey Ullman's new show on BBC is just that.

Her sketches on the political scene - and her impersonations of Merkel, Sturgeon and May are hilarious too. You can just imagine they are like that in real life.

Edited by MARTINX9

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
1 hour ago, HovelinHove said:

It is very much in the interest of the BBC to assist an HPC, will help with their anti-Brexit narrative as they push for a second referendum in 18 months time. They will be able to say what a disaster it all has been, but we can still step back from the abyss.

The angry 52% wont go away. 

HOLA4420

As a 'savvy' foreign investor at what point to you get out of the London market? 5% drops? 10% drops?

I thought the idea was to use the place to reap the capital gains?

If I were looking at the figures, I wouldn't be buying and I'd certainly be considering selling up if I'd had a place for a while. 

HOLA4421
24 minutes ago, wotsthat said:

I know people are going to laugh at this idea, but I am going to put it out there anyway, just have an open mind :)

You look at threads like this and what is happening with UK property today, then you look at someone average in the UK taking home a few thousand quid a month living in a country which prides itself on choice. What choice is there in housing, what choice is there for the above average educated, wage earning person who just wants somewhere comfortable, safe and enjoyable to live, WHERE ARE THE ENTREPRENEURS WHEN YOU NEED THEM.

The way things are with housing at the moment it just is what it is, most hard working people just what that cosy little haven to come back to after a hard days work, but governments in their wisdom will only offer that with pain and debt.

So my idea :)

There is a huge market for working fit healthy people say under 50 who want to live with some quality of life and independence  which above all else is affordable, and I don't know about you lot on here, but people are everything, you live with the right like minded people and you are living in paradise.

So without using the word commune and sounding like a nutcase hippy, you get a bit of cheap land in maybe a not so desirable area just outside town where you build a huge complex lego style with reasonable size living quarters, which just provildes the basics such as a place to cook, sleep, wash, rest and play, you live by certain contracted rules, concerning quiteness, alcohol and drugs etc and respect if everyone else or you are out.

I can see this in my head, and although not ideal it''s and alternative for maybe parting with only 20% or less of your wages on rent and living for now at least in a socialable housing until one day this mess gets sorted and not be putting your money into the pockets of some scumbag manipulative landlord. Because lets face it, most housing for under 40's now is a having to put up with it scnario where there is no choice.

because the planning dept`s are more bent than a 9 bob note . 

when they say "all in it together"  that is what they mean.

I do find the posts here entertaining , i wonder how many scenarios we can find for HPC but still have not happened yet.  

HOLA4422
3 hours ago, wotsthat said:

I know people are going to laugh at this idea, but I am going to put it out there anyway, just have an open mind :)

You look at threads like this and what is happening with UK property today, then you look at someone average in the UK taking home a few thousand quid a month living in a country which prides itself on choice. What choice is there in housing, what choice is there for the above average educated, wage earning person who just wants somewhere comfortable, safe and enjoyable to live, WHERE ARE THE ENTREPRENEURS WHEN YOU NEED THEM.

The way things are with housing at the moment it just is what it is, most hard working people just what that cosy little haven to come back to after a hard days work, but governments in their wisdom will only offer that with pain and debt.

There is a huge market for working fit healthy people say under 50 who want to live with some quality of life and independence  which above all else is affordable, and I don't know about you lot on here, but people are everything, you live with the right like minded people and you are living in paradise.

So without using the word commune and sounding like a nutcase hippy, you get a bit of cheap land in maybe a not so desirable area just outside town where you build a huge complex lego style with reasonable size living quarters, which just provildes the basics such as a place to cook, sleep, wash, rest and play, you live by certain contracted rules, concerning quiteness, alcohol and drugs etc and respect if everyone else or you are out.

I can see this in my head, and although not ideal it''s and alternative for maybe parting with only 20% or less of your wages on rent and living for now at least in a socialable housing until one day this mess gets sorted and not be putting your money into the pockets of some scumbag manipulative landlord. Because lets face it, most housing for under 40's now is a having to put up with it scnario where there is no choice.

Frankly the only reason keeping me in the UK now is my elderly parents - dealing with chaotic NHS care and rip off poor quality social care. It just makes me even more certain I don't want to live here and I certainly don't want to die here and end up in a NHS geriatric ward.

Its not just housing that is messed up - it's the whole range of public services,

I should have a decent final salary pension - fingers crossed - and there is a big wide world out there beyond overpriced rip off Britain.

HOLA4423
3 hours ago, wotsthat said:

In armies, units are trained to "disperse" when under fire, as grouping together makes them an easier target for the enemy.

HOLA4424

Following on from the sentiment that is starting with WotsThat and MartinX9 (and appears to come up quite often on here)....is the grass really greener elsewhere?.inced by lo..I can't start a new thread for some reason but would be interested to see if people think there is, where it is, why and most importantly, the evidence!...show me a country where you will be able to retire knowing that you will have at least a state pension, free healthcare and a relatively safe (depending on where you live) environment...I am not a patriot (far from it), but having lived/worked overseas I cannot see Utopia yet (but am willing to be convinced by supported argument)!

HOLA4425
29 minutes ago, wotsthat said:

I sort of jokingly wrote my post with an element of truth. Straight away after posting it I realised I was selling the idea of hostels. This country has gone mad, like yourself I am breaking my back earning a wage as all too often I watch uneducated immigrants who very quickly decide in many cases that it is "their right" to have as many kids as they want on the welfare state being moved into homes that are but distant dreams for many of us. And there is me suggesting that maybe many of us should move into these special type hostels as we pay for this idylic life for so many others.

I was horrified with the Greenfell tower fire and how could that possibly happen in 2017. But as each day passes it opens up many more questions as well. So often I am watching the news as some veiled woman probably not even living close to where this fire happened complaining and inciting riots because of the poor housing they have to put up with, and everytime I am screaming at the TV pleading at the reporter to ask "and what work do you and your husband do Madam".

Like yourself, I am constantly looking at places off the beaten track around Portugal and Spain, maybe even France with a few acres and get a little livestock and live a simple modest life without asking much, sometimes I have just had enough of being optimistic, which I am, nothing seems like it is going to change.

I can see Corbyn building 100,000 of new homes, I think the will is there. But I also can see the biggest breeding program in Europe as they get priorty for this new housing and the likes of us can go whistle for even longer.

I am lucky in having Irish dual nationality - so still have the option of an EU retirement assuming Ireland doesn't depart too one day. But there are other options round the world - healthcare can be an issue but when what use is free care when it's rubbish and means you have to wait months for treatment.

My parents live in an area with one of the highest birth rates in the UK - the hospitals and A&E are rammed whenever you visit. Parking is stressful enough even before you make it inside.

So I do sympathise. I just don't see this as a place you want to grow old in anymore - and the stress of UK life I believe just slowly kills you daily.