House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tom82

Zoopla Alert - The Pros and Cons of BTL

Not seen an article like this before. 

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/discover/featured-homes/the-pros-and-cons-of-buy-to-let-in-2017/?utm_source=content&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=zoopla-20170715&utm_content=mainbody&utm_term=read-our-article#qBVfg8Sh3oH8Ed8V.97

The comments are very interesting, some small time LL heading for the exit 

Nigel Small  2 days ago

I have been a landlord letting quite a number of flats and houses in the South West for over 30 years. The uncertanty caused by the last election, especially if we achieve a very left wing government has caused me to refocus. We will be selling all our property over the next few years and emigrating. This process has already started.

M. Reader  2 days ago

Of course it turns us of buying to let. It is your HMRC section that kills everything. We currently have 4 buy to lets . and are seriously thinking of selling over the next 4 yrs.

And poor Jamie is baffled:

Jamie Gerard  2 days ago

I am a trifle baffled. As the tax burden increases, I'll have to balance raising the rent, and being far more picky on my repairs and maintenance spending in order to have the money to pay the tax bill. 
Not really helpful to tenants. Specially if they're claiming housing benefit. 
If everyone puts the rent up over the next 3 years, won't benefit payouts need to increase to compensate? 
I could be missing something. But these points are what spring to my mind at the moment.

Jamie Gerard  2 days ago

I am a trifle baffled. As the tax burden increases, I'll have to balance raising the rent, and being far more picky on my repairs and maintenance spending in order to have the money to pay the tax bill. 
If everyone puts the rent up over the next 3 years, won't benefit payouts need to increase to compensate? 
I could be missing something. But these points are what spring to my mind at the moment.

Or a non leveraged landlord will undercut your prices, steal your tenants, then buy up your portfolio when you go bust.:rolleyes:

Edited by Lord D'arcy Pew
Edit to add correct quote.

50 minutes ago, Tom82 said:

Jamie Gerard  2 days ago

Poor Jamie doesn't realise that the LHA rates only go up by the lower of 3% or the (I think it is..) 80th percentile of rental values in the area.

Jamie Gerard  2 days ago

:wub::wub:  Its going to be carnage.