House Price Crash Forum

The one that got away...

HOLA441
7 hours ago, Mrs Bear said:

No need for a rant - I'm well aware of UK house sizes.  What I meant was that it's not 'poxy' by general suburban-London terrace standards. There are masses that are a lot smaller. 

And yes, I do know that American houses are generally bigger than ours,  thank you. But we were not talking about America. 

I am not sure where you get the idea I was 'ranting' when I was simply pointing out that this property would have been just the sort of house a lower middle class clerk would have lived in the 1890s but which no one in a similar post today could remotely afford. It only seems remarkable because of the accelerating rate that other UK homes have shrunk in the last half century. The reality is that people in the UK live in properties barely bigger than those on offer to the Chinese and on average smaller than those occupied by the supposedly miniaturist obsessesed bonsai tree loving Japanese.

http://www.elledecor.com/life-culture/fun-at-home/news/a7654/house-sizes-around-the-world/

You can get over 5 British houses in the average Canadian house

Edited by stormymonday_2011

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
14 hours ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

The reality is that people in the UK live in properties barely bigger than those on offer to the Chinese and on average smaller than those occupied by the supposedly miniaturist obsessesed bonsai tree loving Japanese.

http://www.elledecor.com/life-culture/fun-at-home/news/a7654/house-sizes-around-the-world/

You can get over 5 British houses in the average Canadian house

Shocking, thanks for posting that.  Infographic saved for future use!

HOLA443
On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:19 PM, GreenDevil said:

HILARIOUS , come on seller you could at least tidy the place up if you expecting some utter fool to pay 1.7 mil for a terrace FFS

Thanks for posting, Cheered me up no end seeing that shite

1.7M for a terrace in zone 3 is nuts, its in suburbia, fair play its got a big garden and large internal area, but its in the suburbs and is a terrace house, I wouldn't pay half that. What do others think, am I being harsh saying that 800K is more realistic

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
4 hours ago, sexton said:

So instead of a shithole terrace in london you could even choose a villa in Nice with a pool and sea views close to the beach.

Bloody hilarious!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-60374506.html

Edited by GreenDevil

HOLA448
HOLA449

still full on hysteria here in Hampshire...mates house just gone stc at more than a nosebleed asking price...seems the half dozen or so potential buyers in the market for this house (many foreign) didn't get the memo about sentiment and prices moderating. I am not surprised..we wont get falls until we have a recession, unemployment and forced sales...it went for £530k it would have been little over £300k just a few years ago...i despair and want to leave the country.

HOLA4410

Question. Do agents relist houses on Rightmove in order to cover up how long the property has been on the market?

It would be a huge project but being able to string together these listings would be a highly beneficial.

I know about Propertybee but I suspect it can't keep track of relisted stuff?

HOLA4411
2 hours ago, ExiledMatty said:

Question. Do agents relist houses on Rightmove in order to cover up how long the property has been on the market?

It would be a huge project but being able to string together these listings would be a highly beneficial.

Because transaction volumes are so staggeringly small in the area I am looking at, I pretty much remember the décor/layout of most of the houses I've look at on Rightmove.  I'm still seeing houses I saw over a year ago that have been taken down for a bit, relisted with a new agent and promoted as "new to the market". 

HOLA4412

Some agents are wise to it and relist. 

Sometimes I see Rightmove reduced email (with one I remember), but no history on property tracker.

HOLA4413

yes this is ver common indeed. About 80% of the time they are relisted with a new agent at the same price, about 20% of the time they are relisted with the same agent with about 2.5% taken off

it does make it very hard to track the falls, but as the above poster says, you eventually get quite used to seeing the same overpriced houses not shifting week in and week out. Most never sell, and only take a 'break' from the market for a few months. 

one of my favourite things to watch is when identical houses in the same street go up for sale. and neither shift. They seem to get quite aggressive with constantly knocking 0.5% off each others price every other week. Knowing full well any offers they turn down, may not be turned down by the other vendors. 

i think at the moment everyone is just trying their luck on insane prices, and are choosing to get real after the summer. 

HOLA4414

On a square footage basis the UK has the third most expensive housing after New Zealand and Australia - more than double USA prices.

Historically London has always been 10% or 20% cheaper than New York, whenever that reverses as it has now, is a sure sign that UK prices have peaked.

Interestingly Austalia has both the largest houses in the world and the second highest prices per sq foot. Britain may have it bad but I think there will be a lot of destitute Australians in 5 or 10 years from now.

20170318_WOC001_hr.png

HOLA4415
17 minutes ago, Habeas Domus said:

On a square footage basis the UK has the third most expensive housing after New Zealand and Australia - more than double USA prices.

Historically London has always been 10% or 20% cheaper than New York, whenever that reverses as it has now, is a sure sign that UK prices have peaked.

Interestingly Austalia has both the largest houses in the world and the second highest prices per sq foot. Britain may have it bad but I think there will be a lot of destitute Australians in 5 or 10 years from now.

20170318_WOC001_hr.png

I suspect the UK leads the way in shrinking properties.

House sizes in Britain have halved since the end of the First World War.

In each new bubble they get smaller and smaller.

Presumably eventually you will need a microscope to view them.

HOLA4416
3 hours ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

I suspect the UK leads the way in shrinking properties.

House sizes in Britain have halved since the end of the First World War.

In each new bubble they get smaller and smaller.

Presumably eventually you will need a microscope to view them.

At the end of the First World War an awful lot of people were still crammed into Dickensian-type slums with one cold water tap outside and one outside privy for 12 families.   

I am not disputing your general argument but I've seen some really tiny terraces - 2 bed houses of under 50 sq m- that were built in the early 1900s,  and around here there are a lot of very small terraced houses that were built in the mid  1930s.  And sold for about £500, as I saw in an old newspaper ad at a local history exhibition.  'A £5 deposit secures any house!' 

The bigger ones went for up to £900 odd. 

I can imagine that one reason for the very small ones was that people generally, and especially poorer ones, didn't have a tenth of the stuff  they have now, and the cost of coal for heating larger rooms would presumably have been a big consideration.  

HOLA4417

Hooray...droped 20K and found a buyer....oh b*llocks...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57595189.html

17/07/2017,
  • Status changed: from 'Sold STC' to 'Available'
07/04/2017,
  • Status changed: from 'Available' to 'Sold STC
21/03/2017,
  • Price changed: £139,950 Offers in Excess of £130,000  
14/03/2017,
  • Price changed: from '£145,000' to '£139,950
31/01/2017,
  • Price changed: from '£150,000' to '£145,000
09/01/2017,
  • Initial entry found.

130K for a flat in wellingborough :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4418
19 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Hooray...droped 20K and found a buyer....oh b*llocks...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57595189.html

17/07/2017,
  • Status changed: from 'Sold STC' to 'Available'
07/04/2017,
21/03/2017,
  • Price changed: £139,950 Offers in Excess of £130,000  
14/03/2017,
  • Price changed: from '£145,000' to '£139,950
31/01/2017,
  • Price changed: from '£150,000' to '£145,000
09/01/2017,
  • Initial entry found.

130K for a flat in wellingborough :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 

It looks like a conversion job of a wing of a Victorian bin asylum.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
On 16/07/2017 at 10:05 AM, Habeas Domus said:

20170318_WOC001_hr.png

That's one scary chart.

Anyone who doesnt think this will collapse in one massive heap is literally certifiable.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
15 minutes ago, anonguest said:

At least we still, by and large, are happy to give directions to foreign strangers/tourists/etc without an indifferent Gallic shrug.

...so long as the foreigners are speaking English.

Have always found the French to be friendly, helpful and nice.

Parisians, now, that's a different matter.

HOLA4424

A full year on the market and the buyer just pulled out:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60857744.html

17/07/2017,
  • Price changed: from '£280,000' to '£300,000
  • Status changed: from 'Sold STC' to 'Available
22/11/2016,
28/10/2016,
  • Brief Description changed: A perfect family home located close to Abington Park in the sought after area of Abington Vale. Excellently located for road links, town centre & the genera hospital but general hospital, also excellent for school ccatchmentareas. catchment areas. All bedroom sizes are generous & the property also boasts good downstairs living spa... space...  
28/07/2016,
  • Initial entry found. 

Nice of them to put the price up and RM saying:   Added yesterday

Was either never sold, will never be sold or they sat in a chain for 6 months hoping beyond hope to sell a house worth 140 K for double.

I'd wager they'll drop the price to 280K next week and say it's reduced :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4425
On 16/07/2017 at 10:05 AM, Habeas Domus said:

20170318_WOC001_hr.png

House prices in the US can vary enormously, same as here.  My sister lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts, where prices are way higher than the US average.  I haven't looked lately, but what we think of as a normally large American family house was easily going for $2-3m last time I looked. 

My sister's house is not large by US standards and the plot is small, so no huge 'yard' but she has to get it valued every year for property-tax purposes and IIRC it was well over $1.5m last time.