House Price Crash Forum

Follow the leader....interest rate rises

HOLA441

First the FED.

Now the Canadians.

Big 5 banks increase prime rates after Bank of Canada's interest rate hike

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/prime-interest-rate-increases-1.4201403

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-13/bank-of-canada-raises-rates-but-fed-yellen-hints-at-gradual/8704670

"Will Australia need to match overseas rate hikes?"

Oz next ?

Then  the UK i;d wager.

All this house price chatter in the media is not a coincidence.

HOLA442
HOLA443
1 minute ago, JustAnotherProle said:

The temperature of the water is slowly being increased but will the frogs notice before it's too late? :lol:

I'm sure the French are in on it too .

The western governments have colluded on the way down and you can bet your bottom Canadian dollar on the way up too.

I wonder when people are going to twig and panic.

HOLA444
HOLA445
4 minutes ago, Mine the wheatfield said:

It would make sense to have BoE as a "Tracker" -  we all know they will follow the Fed.

Plenty people in denial about this.

They should raised 0.25 months ago when it became apparent they were f**king robbing us all blind

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
28 minutes ago, wotsthat said:

They have to make sure their friends and friends friends have left the exit the market first, then it's well on the way for being too late for rest.

You have clearly not been keeping up

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2616510/Duke-Westminsters-property-company-sells-240million-luxury-homes-fears-London-bubble-burst.html

HOLA4411
7 minutes ago, Society of fools said:

I agree. 

Based on what, wishful thinking ?

The Torys are back in charge of the Tory party

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/18/william-hague-attacks-bank-of-england-over-ultra-low-interest-rates

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
2 hours ago, crouch said:

I would say that there is a significant probability that the next rate movement will be down - to 0.1%.

Sort of agree with you there, though I hope not as I've just fixed. 

Ideal would be rising for a couple of years before falling again just before I remortgage so I can have two years of cheap cycling holibobs in the Alps and Spain while enjoying my virtually free money mortgage. 

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
12 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Based on what, wishful thinking ?

Ha ! That's a good one.

Its Carney's track record that gives me pause. He could have raised on multiple occasions in the past few years, especially pre the Brexit vote.

Now the UK economic situation is poorer, slowing growth, current account woes, house prices stagnant etc etc. 

For him to raise now would be a repudiation of everything he's ever said on when the timing is right for a BOE rate rise.

I realize that his credibility is utterly shredded with most people on this site and with a lot of Tory MPs as well, but he still carries a certain gravitas in come circles. He won't want to lose that by looking like a complete tool. 

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

i think he will either raise around Christmas or very early next year by 0.25%.

As everyone else raises his hand will be forced (more raises to follow). They propped up and even stoked a fresh bubble, left it until things are about to crash then forced to raise rates.

Still all about boom and bust, should be a nice bust this time around, sounds like the falls in London are slowly spreading. 

HOLA4423

Seems Carnage et al are getting frustrated that banks aren't lending with the "responsible spirit" they're after so I think the only way will be to raise, essentially banks are being forced to lend and lend recklessly due to rates being on the floor.

I don't think this time is different, Brexit or not, the shift in BOE sentiment for reigning in QE in just the past few months has been very revealing indeed.

Personal defaults moved up sizeably in the first quarter, this shouldn't be happening as unemployment keeps hitting record lows, and IRs at a historical low allowing you to shift debt around for free, if anything the banks pay you in cash back and rewards.

We've reached peak affordability and debt saturation, much of which has been to maintain our lifestyles as they were prior to the last crash, when the fundamentals where much stronger.

Edited by Barnsey

HOLA4424
HOLA4425