House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hi5lo5

New Chrome extension for Rightmove

We(2 friends) have been working on a chrome extension for property websites such as right move. It is simple at the moment, looking forward to add more features such as local wages to asking price ratio and also flagging distressed buy-to-lettlers asking kite flying prices.

In fact, as a tribute to this forum, kite flying icon will be displayed if there is no change in the price history.

The extension is not in public yet, would like to test and looking forward some feedback.

Here is the link. 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/home-buyer-beta/kdmfpdcbfbfgidmchkdakmoihliofnme

17 minutes ago, hi5lo5 said:

We(2 friends) have been working on a chrome extension for property websites such as right move. It is simple at the moment, looking forward to add more features such as local wages to asking price ratio and also flagging distressed buy-to-lettlers asking kite flying prices.

In fact, as a tribute to this forum, kite flying icon will be displayed if there is no change in the price history.

The extension is not in public yet, would like to test and looking forward some feedback.

Here is the link. 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/home-buyer-beta/kdmfpdcbfbfgidmchkdakmoihliofnme

Well done

Interesting. How is this different from property bee or property tracker? Are you logging prices from each participating client back to a server to track history? If so, presumably you'll need a reasonable number of users to start building up a good history: and to justify that I'd imagine you'd need something different from the existing two options.

I'd like to see a site with derived data built from the numbers you collect, e.g. a reboot of property snake but maybe with some more interesting analytics. But I could imagine that might have some issues with the RM T&Cs.

Is the code hosted anywhere public? Good luck though - the existing two options are a little basic, it'd be great to see something more ambitious built - and hopefully very timely.

6 minutes ago, crooksook said:

Interesting. How is this different from property bee or property tracker? Are you logging prices from each participating client back to a server to track history? If so, presumably you'll need a reasonable number of users to start building up a good history: and to justify that I'd imagine you'd need something different from the existing two options.

I'd like to see a site with derived data built from the numbers you collect, e.g. a reboot of property snake but maybe with some more interesting analytics. But I could imagine that might have some issues with the RM T&Cs.

Is the code hosted anywhere public? Good luck though - the existing two options are a little basic, it'd be great to see something more ambitious built - and hopefully very timely.

Thanks @crooksook

It may look a bit different but given that 43% of web traffic from the UK originates in desktop chrome and the only available extension for chrome doesn't give the insights in the search page. I know it is an uphill task to get some traction.

No the code is not hosted in the public. however, we are trying augment more sources of data to equip the buyers.

Have you thought about implementing the data from land reg to show last sold prices are you browse, for a kite flying %, ie the figure per year rise over the last years since the last sale?

That would give you a headstart over the others and a clear reason to get people on board and build your database of price reductions.

1 hour ago, hi5lo5 said:

Here is the link. 

Just seems to show the latest price even for "Reduced today" properties.

I take it you have only just started - comparing http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-48592869.html on propertybee and your link propertybee has a reduction from £325,000 down to £300,000 you don't...

Separately I'm looking at sold prices and I'm slowing getting a dataset available with sold price, actual latitude / longitude, council tax band and lha rents... Going to take a while to get there but should give a very usable dataset to build from...

1 hour ago, GreenDevil said:

Have you thought about implementing the data from land reg to show last sold prices are you browse, for a kite flying %, ie the figure per year rise over the last years since the last sale?

That would give you a headstart over the others and a clear reason to get people on board and build your database of price reductions.

Thanks @GreenDevil 

One of the advantage with the home buyer extension is you don't need to setup an account unlike property bee. We plan to keep it the same for considerable period of time.

@Bear Hug Thanks for giving it a go. We are starting a clean slate as we don't have much data eventually we will get to see more changes when we have more users.

2 hours ago, hi5lo5 said:

One of the advantage with the home buyer extension is you don't need to setup an account unlike property bee. We plan to keep it the same for considerable period of time.

Forever hopefully. The day that Property Bee required users to register with an account was the day I stopped using it.

7 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

Forever hopefully. The day that Property Bee required users to register with an account was the day I stopped using it.

:lol: Our aim is not to harvest user data. We may enable a login in future to protect the data from misuse or being contaminated.

Just a quick update on the new extension.

Approximately 21k properties (about 2.5% of listed for sale) is in the db to track the prices. This is quite significant numbers for 4 days and still in closed beta.

I expect a continual support from the forum members.

Does it track properties that have been relisted, and if so, even if the gap between listings has been months? Think this would be a really cool feature.

I am not on Chrome as I don't use it, but would install it for this kind of thing.

33 minutes ago, ExiledMatty said:

Does it track properties that have been relisted, and if so, even if the gap between listings has been months? Think this would be a really cool feature.

I am not on Chrome as I don't use it, but would install it for this kind of thing.

Yes, we don't delete any properties from our system. It stays forever.

Stupid question, possibly, and don't be concerned about patronising me with the answer :D

Could you clarify how a house get in the database? By appearing in a users search or by a user actually clicking into the listing or something else?

I'm going to download Chrome today and start using.

59 minutes ago, Lavalas said:

Stupid question, possibly, and don't be concerned about patronising me with the answer :D

Could you clarify how a house get in the database? By appearing in a users search or by a user actually clicking into the listing or something else?

I'm going to download Chrome today and start using.

:rolleyes: search results is sufficient to get into the database. At the moment we track only the price and the status.