Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
skomer

Samsung snubs London for Berlin because of housing

Recommended Posts

Article in Times gist of which is London is "not a fun place unless you are rich" and "there were no reasonably priced neighbourhoods left in London"., "For those wanting to have children, London had become virtually impossible"....etc.

Berlin is the place to be...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/no-fun-unless-you-re-rich-samsung-snubs-london-kt8pqs7pw

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely Samsung simply needed to employ people with wealthy parents so that BOMAD would pay the balance?

Job candidates to supply CV + parents' bank statements. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

London is an expensive hell hole and two companies that MrsLTSUW worked for have pulled out in recent years leaving only a small presence there. They could have considered Birmingham as an option but this is more to do with Brexit and jostling for a better position in the EU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the penny drops...crikey its not hard to see - its been very clear to me that London is only for the wealthy for many years...only a mug would live and work in London unless wealthy - its just horrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, longtomsilverunderwater said:

London is an expensive hell hole and two companies that MrsLTSUW worked for have pulled out in recent years leaving only a small presence there. They could have considered Birmingham as an option but this is more to do with Brexit and jostling for a better position in the EU.

True but if they had gone to Birmingham their staff would be paying via the taxes for others to live in London when Samsung staff cannot afford to - not a great idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately Berlin is getting very expensive now and losing its charm, becoming gentrified very quickly. The Berlin mentality is becoming more and more like London, native East Berliners are being forced out so that people from West Germany, other countries can come in and buy up property and rent it out at expensive prices. All the quirky bars and venues are closing because it has all become about money and how much people can make on real estate. Such a shame as it was such a great place.

Edited by fru-gal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iamnumerate said:

True but if they had gone to Birmingham their staff would be paying via the taxes for others to live in London when Samsung staff cannot afford to - not a great idea.

Or in Germany for 1 million refugees to live next door to them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, fru-gal said:

Unfortunately Berlin is getting very expensive now and losing its charm, becoming gentrified very quickly. The Berlin mentality is becoming more and more like London, native East Berliners are being forced out so that people from West Germany, other countries can come in and buy up property and rent it out at expensive prices. All the quirky bars and venues are closing because it has all become about money and how much people can make on real estate. Such a shame as it was such a great place.

I'm not sure it ever had much charm. Even Hitler didn't like it. People can come in and buy property but there are very very strict regulations around tenancies, rent increases and no fault evictions. 

Not to say it doesn't happen though. I worked on a deal a while ago for a German property firm that would buy up a whole block, evict everyone under the guise of refurbishment (which is allowed and the work was carried out) and then re-let at new market rents. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, adarmo said:

I'm not sure it ever had much charm. Even Hitler didn't like it. People can come in and buy property but there are very very strict regulations around tenancies, rent increases and no fault evictions. 

Not to say it doesn't happen though. I worked on a deal a while ago for a German property firm that would buy up a whole block, evict everyone under the guise of refurbishment (which is allowed and the work was carried out) and then re-let at new market rents. 

I know quite a few people who have been "bullied" out of their secure tenancies in Berlin so the rich can buy up their apartments and either sell them on or rent them at a much higher amount. There is far less difference in rental prices between London and Berlin these days than there were. Of course in Berlin you tend to get much more m2 for your rental payments and often utilities are included (and you literally have to bring the kitchen sink), but Berlin was known for it's very cheap rents and they don't really exist anymore (except in areas nobody wants to live).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fru-gal said:

I know quite a few people who have been "bullied" out of their secure tenancies in Berlin so the rich can buy up their apartments and either sell them on or rent them at a much higher amount. There is far less difference in rental prices between London and Berlin these days than there were. Of course in Berlin you tend to get much more m2 for your rental payments and often utilities are included (and you literally have to bring the kitchen sink), but Berlin was known for it's very cheap rents and they don't really exist anymore (except in areas nobody wants to live).

Not those pesky rich again. Who are they anyway?

No doubt this sort of thing happens everywhere but if there's one thing a German likes its some rules (I know I'm stereotyping but I work for a very nice one).

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+Kingdom&country2=Germany&city1=London&city2=Berlin&tracking=getDispatchComparison

Average rent is less than half (58% lower) that of London. Average net salary is only 19% lower but to be honest the price of bananas (42% higher) and weekend tennis court rent (21% higher) would put me off. I did visit a few years back and was really surprised by how cheap restaurants, beer and trains/metro were but it felt like a giant Swindon. Apparently the winters are ghastly up there too. 

I'll stay in Wokingham for now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, adarmo said:

Not those pesky rich again. Who are they anyway?

No doubt this sort of thing happens everywhere but if there's one thing a German likes its some rules (I know I'm stereotyping but I work for a very nice one).

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+Kingdom&country2=Germany&city1=London&city2=Berlin&tracking=getDispatchComparison

Average rent is less than half (58% lower) that of London. Average net salary is only 19% lower but to be honest the price of bananas (42% higher) and weekend tennis court rent (21% higher) would put me off. I did visit a few years back and was really surprised by how cheap restaurants, beer and trains/metro were but it felt like a giant Swindon. Apparently the winters are ghastly up there too. 

I'll stay in Wokingham for now. 

I think it depends which part of Berlin one is in. The nice areas, the rents seem to have rocketed. Obviously rents will be much lower in the areas which aren't so trendy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, adarmo said:

Not those pesky rich again. Who are they anyway?

No doubt this sort of thing happens everywhere but if there's one thing a German likes its some rules (I know I'm stereotyping but I work for a very nice one).

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+Kingdom&country2=Germany&city1=London&city2=Berlin&tracking=getDispatchComparison

Average rent is less than half (58% lower) that of London. Average net salary is only 19% lower but to be honest the price of bananas (42% higher) and weekend tennis court rent (21% higher) would put me off. I did visit a few years back and was really surprised by how cheap restaurants, beer and trains/metro were but it felt like a giant Swindon. Apparently the winters are ghastly up there too. 

I'll stay in Wokingham for now. 

 

Berlin is actually the same latitude as London, but yes, being on the continent and a vast concrete plain, the winter is something else.

The local populace are starting to worry about the muslim invader crime rate, so that should be interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/07/2017 at 8:55 AM, skomer said:

Article in Times gist of which is London is "not a fun place unless you are rich" and "there were no reasonably priced neighbourhoods left in London"., "For those wanting to have children, London had become virtually impossible"....etc.

Berlin is the place to be...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/no-fun-unless-you-re-rich-samsung-snubs-london-kt8pqs7pw

 

 

Couldn't read all of the article but am assuming it didn't say brexit was a factor? What a breath of fresh air - someone people might take notice of talking about the real damage all the speculation has done and what a mess we've got ourselves into. House prices making it difficult to build a business here - that has got to be a splash of cold water on the government's face, surely?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Next General Election   90 members have voted

    1. 1. When do you predict the next general election will be held?


      • 2019
      • 2020
      • 2021
      • 2022

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.