House Price Crash Forum

Krusty's latest gaffe

happy_renting

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
2 hours ago, happy_renting said:

Someone will get electrocuted if they follow this stupid bint's advice.

I've lived with a washing machine in my bathroom these past 3+ years. In China. I do think that bathrooms here are built big enough for washing machines. I guess the style of houses tends to follow a pattern that is governed by historical standards.

HOLA445

It's because British houses are stupidly small - there's no utility area in most modern houses, unless you count the "garage". 

Listening to Krusty talk about housing is like listening to Lily Allen talking about immigrants - do as I say, not as I do.  Time to seriously turn off the TV and radio people.  Plenty of entertainment outside the crappy BBC, ITV and C4.

HOLA446

Washing machine in the bathroom is pretty common in some countries e.g. Czech Republic. Might not work well in the UK because in a British 2 storey house that would put the washing machine upstairs (noise issues) and as others have pointed out, the small size of British bathrooms means it would be hard to find a position out of the splash zones.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I actually hate the idea of a washing machine in a bathroom, saw a house with one right next to the toilet and it just made me cringe.

Besides, bathrooms have a lot more condensation and steam than a kitchen which I imagine wouldn't be great for a washing machine.

HOLA4411

In fairness I know many people from abroad who are a bit baffled that we put washing machines in the kitchen. It's because much of our housing stock pre dates such things and we just stuck them where there's a water feed. A dedicated utility room like in the states/aus is a much better solution.

New builds have no excuse for not working these into their designs

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I rented a new build flat with a thru kitchen-lounge and of course the washing machine was in the 'kitchen' side which was only distinguished from the lounge by having a hard floor...the noise of the washing machine whilst you were sat in the 'lounge' was horrendous...of course wealthy people have no inkling about such designed in misery in modern housing.

HOLA4414
8 minutes ago, Wayward said:

I rented a new build flat with a thru kitchen-lounge and of course the washing machine was in the 'kitchen' side which was only distinguished from the lounge by having a hard floor...the noise of the washing machine whilst you were sat in the 'lounge' was horrendous...of course wealthy people have no inkling about such designed in misery in modern housing.

It's all very well going on about small houses but in any case what's the problem with having the washing machine in the kitchen? I don't really see the point of a utility room, maybe nice if you've got the space but not an argument for needing more space. With open plan it's a bad idea sure, but then open plan is a bad idea full stop.

Mind you I've not dared go down in the cellar when the washing machine is on spin right above my head... I suppose it could go in the cellar with a bit of plumbing (and figuring out how to drain it), except even plastic goes mouldy or rusty down there.

HOLA4415
10 hours ago, wotsthat said:

I have a lot of family planted all over the good old USA, and they have a room for everything, so Allstop is partially correct. But this is where she shows her total ignorance on what is happening in the UK. 

I know of people who sleep, s**t, wash, eat, entertain guests and "wash their clothes" in the same room, that's because of the property, speculative shit housing market she is part of creating, cannot afford that extra room purely for washing ones clothes.

This silly cow banned me from her Twitter propoganda account, are you prepared, for  having the cheek to dare ask her what made her so qualified to give us advice on property, seriously that's it.,

Can anyone else remember also the campaign she led to ban women wearing jeans because it looked chavy, could be nothing to do with what she would look like in them with her fat a***

Very true for many people they don't have space for a washing machine in their bathroom. 

HOLA4416
3 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

It's all very well going on about small houses but in any case what's the problem with having the washing machine in the kitchen? I don't really see the point of a utility room, maybe nice if you've got the space but not an argument for needing more space. With open plan it's a bad idea sure, but then open plan is a bad idea full stop.

Mind you I've not dared go down in the cellar when the washing machine is on spin right above my head... I suppose it could go in the cellar with a bit of plumbing (and figuring out how to drain it), except even plastic goes mouldy or rusty down there.

It is not really hygenic to wash dirty clothes next to where you cook.  Saying that

1) I do - I live in London and am not a millionaire so I have little choice

2) I am not sure if any illness has ever been linked to this.

HOLA4417
33 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

It is not really hygenic to wash dirty clothes next to where you cook.  Saying that

1) I do - I live in London and am not a millionaire so I have little choice

2) I am not sure if any illness has ever been linked to this.

The washing machine is pretty self-contained. Compared to everything else that could be in the kitchen any hygeine issue is far more imagined than real. Unless you're a farmer up to his knees in manure all day I can't see what the hygeine issue is (and even then it would probably be more imagined than real). The argument against moving toilets indoors had more merit, but I doubt Krusty has an outside toilet to freeze on in winter.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
5 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

The washing machine is pretty self-contained. Compared to everything else that could be in the kitchen any hygeine issue is far more imagined than real. Unless you're a farmer up to his knees in manure all day I can't see what the hygeine issue is (and even then it would probably be more imagined than real). The argument against moving toilets indoors had more merit, but I doubt Krusty has an outside toilet to freeze on in winter.

Could be true - I did say that I am not sure any illness has ever been linked to this. 

HOLA4420
10 hours ago, afly said:

In fairness I know many people from abroad who are a bit baffled that we put washing machines in the kitchen. It's because much of our housing stock pre dates such things and we just stuck them where there's a water feed. A dedicated utility room like in the states/aus is a much better solution.

New builds have no excuse for not working these into their designs

I did once see a new build house in Manchester that had the downstairs toilet and back door leading from the kitchen in what looked liked a ground floor extension they had put enough space for a utility area, not bad for a three-bed house! My washing machine is in the kitchen, but the tumble dryer had to go in the airing cupboard in the bathroom, it is a condenser and the bathroom window is always open when its on.

HOLA4421

Am I missing something? Dirty clothes aren't stored in the kitchen, they don't touch a single surface in there - a load is bunged straight in and then it comes out clean? What is the problem? Sounds more like germ paranoia from OCD sufferers than a genuine hygiene issue.

And I've never lived in a house with a utilty room. I did once rent a flat where I was embarrassed to switch the washing machine on though (kitchen as well), it was like the Siege of Basra when it went on. Never heard anything like it, used to jump up and down on the floor, felt so sorry for the couple below! Not a penny put into that place in years so ofcourse it was ancient, used to take my clothes home to my parents a lot!

HOLA4422
On 12/07/2017 at 0:11 PM, wotsthat said:

Her best one was when she lwas critical  at the chav culture who wore jeans and how she thought they looked so common.

Nothing to do with the fact she probably couldn't squeeze her massive hairy **** into a pair.

Well fat people do tend to sweat a lot more, so Kirsty might well have a point - would you want a load of Kirsties sweat drenched pink bloomers anywhere near your kitchen?

Also I've heard that Americans tend to be a bit on the chunky side too so that explains their preference for W/M location.

Archived