House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SillyBilly

1st day of new job

How do you behave?

I hired a 25 year old to do a Quality Assurance role (with very decent progression opportunities following a retirement), today was his first day, a brief summary:

- Turned up with a circular nose ring through the centre of his nose and nostrils (not on show at either interview I may add)

- Wearing a long sleeve t-shirt to an office environment. When I asked if he'd put on a plain shirt the next day he said I should have specified the dress code in advance - I'd have thought it was common sense as well as obvious from interview but hey-ho.

- Called me "dude" and "mate" (a supposedly educated young person addressing his Line Manager) about 5 times, I was then irritated enough to remind him what my first name was. Site Manager also commented about this too separately so not just me who picked it up.

- After I'd nipped out the room for 20 minutes to do a site tour (and asked him to read through some material), he announced on my return he'd phoned his doctor (neck/back complaint) and requested to leave early at 4pm tomorrow as that was the only appointment he could get...on his 2nd day. I said he could do so if he started an hour earlier (cue look of shock).

- CONSTANTLY on phone all day, after about the 5th instance (including while I was talking) I asked him to put it away.

This was a person who interviewed very well so am disappointed to say the least, I was looking forward to him starting to pick up the slack from the rest of the team. Anyone had similar experiences? I have noticed a real problem with young people and phones in particular in the workplace these days, last few inductions I've done I've had to ask for personal mobiles to be put away. I am generally pretty laid back but I felt this guy was way out of line today on a 1st day (where you surely should be on best behaviour), am I being reasonable to be concerned or are these the new standards?

Not acceptable. But then, I'm 64 and don't turn up for work in leggings and a t- shirt like some of my colleagues. 

Sounds like you need to make a copy of the dress code/conduct policy available to job applicants. They'll then self select. 

1 minute ago, Bossybabe said:

Sounds like you need to make a copy of the dress code/conduct policy available to job applicants. 

He will have received it with his job offer and employment contract (FD is a stickler for it). Just a lack of common sense and good manners?

38 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

How do you behave?

I hired a 25 year old to do a Quality Assurance role (with very decent progression opportunities following a retirement), today was his first day, a brief summary:

- Turned up with a circular nose ring through the centre of his nose and nostrils (not on show at either interview I may add)

- Wearing a long sleeve t-shirt to an office environment. When I asked if he'd put on a plain shirt the next day he said I should have specified the dress code in advance - I'd have thought it was common sense as well as obvious from interview but hey-ho.

- Called me "dude" and "mate" (a supposedly educated young person addressing his Line Manager) about 5 times, I was then irritated enough to remind him what my first name was. Site Manager also commented about this too separately so not just me who picked it up.

- After I'd nipped out the room for 20 minutes to do a site tour (and asked him to read through some material), he announced on my return he'd phoned his doctor (neck/back complaint) and requested to leave early at 4pm tomorrow as that was the only appointment he could get...on his 2nd day. I said he could do so if he started an hour earlier (cue look of shock).

- CONSTANTLY on phone all day, after about the 5th instance (including while I was talking) I asked him to put it away.

This was a person who interviewed very well so am disappointed to say the least, I was looking forward to him starting to pick up the slack from the rest of the team. Anyone had similar experiences? I have noticed a real problem with young people and phones in particular in the workplace these days, last few inductions I've done I've had to ask for personal mobiles to be put away. I am generally pretty laid back but I felt this guy was way out of line today on a 1st day (where you surely should be on best behaviour), am I being reasonable to be concerned or are these the new standards?

Sounds like a complete twit, especially with the hiding the nose ring in the interview and then turning up with it.  If he was so proud of it why not wear it in the interview.

If you are thinking of firing him, the earlier the better.

This would seem like a bad start to me too and understandable to be worried. Feels a little like getting hired on false pretences. I would set a work task to improve a specific item and see how proactive they are and attention to detail. The job title of quality assurance also seems highly ironic!

Sounds like a poor employee. Certainly we've had many (all) better experiences that that. If you lay out all your expectations clearly, in writing, like you're talking to a 10 year old, then he'll have no excuse, although I don't believe our job offers and descriptions are like that.

Bad behaviour of that sort where I work is kind of peer-policed; a colleague at a similar level would have told him either quietly on his own, or loudly in front of everyone, not be such a gimp and that always fixes it.

His attitude sounds bad.  For example, when you highlighted his t-shirt surely he could have just agreed?

Did you have any other good candidates in the interviews?

Places I have worked have had bad employees.  It is surprising how many people give them 'the benefit of the doubt 'time after time, if you are thinking of getting rid of him do it in the first few weeks, don't wait 6 months before realising he has to go, as it will probably be a lot harder legally by then.  I am assuming he has a probation period.

a wrong 'un. 

They get through any vetting process

The three crucial points are:

i) he was cunning enough to interview/test very well

ii) he's brass-necked enough to start taking liberties on day one

iii) he has very poor judgement

A very dangerous combination - get rid. 

You wait until you have shown your worth in an office prior to commencing the 'bending' of what is possible. Simple as that.

I am an expert on this. Truly !!

I have never had a permanent job. Every single one has been temporary/contract. I have done this for over 10 years with the constant possibility of an instant exit out the front door if I push it too far. This bloke has pushed it too far within days.

This bloke is just rude and also quite stupid. Get rid.

15 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

He will have received it with his job offer and employment contract (FD is a stickler for it). Just a lack of common sense and good manners?

Insensitivity. He needs a shape up or ship out conversation, with a follow-up date in the diary at the end of the conversation. If he doesn't shape up, he goes. 

12 hours ago, reddog said:

His attitude sounds bad.  For example, when you highlighted his t-shirt surely he could have just agreed?

Did you have any other good candidates in the interviews?

Places I have worked have had bad employees.  It is surprising how many people give them 'the benefit of the doubt 'time after time, if you are thinking of getting rid of him do it in the first few weeks, don't wait 6 months before realising he has to go, as it will probably be a lot harder legally by then.  I am assuming he has a probation period.

I had the "perfect" candidate on paper who screwed me over twice by failing to turn up on the agreed start date on two occasions, first excuse seemed genuine, second was elaborate - had to bin him off as a time-waster. Regrettably I wasted several weeks over his unreliability as well as the time taken for the actual interview process and waiting for his first start date. Now given I had to re-interview (mostly very poor interviews which is unusual as I've never had a problem finding "options" in the past) and wait for this new guy to start its been months since the position was left. Unfortunately my own workload is now getting unmanageable - not helped by the fact I'm doing a full time QC and QA role (and it is a 40 hour job if done right) ontop of my day job of management responsibilites for 6 companies. We're a smallish Group so we don't carry anybody. That is why I posted yesterday - I think I know what I ought to do but I really needed, or wanted I guess, this guy to be right - I am pretty tired and was looking forward to even having a morning off when he was trained up, not taken a single day off all year and I am working very long hours and weekends.

I think I will take the advice here and have a review with him on Friday PM regarding first week and expectations. I dread re-starting the interview process but if it has to be done then I guess it'll be better for the long run.

8 hours ago, ccc said:

You wait until you have shown your worth in an office prior to commencing the 'bending' of what is possible. Simple as that.

I am an expert on this. Truly !!

I have never had a permanent job. Every single one has been temporary/contract. I have done this for over 10 years with the constant possibility of an instant exit out the front door if I push it too far. This bloke has pushed it too far within days.

This bloke is just rude and also quite stupid. Get rid.

Yes, there is a bit of an air of "overfamilarity" about him, as if he has been there years. I know in the past I've always kept my head down in the first few weeks/months while you figured out the do's and don'ts and the "unwritten" rules of your new workplace.

22 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

How do you behave?

First day of my new job (2010) I was the only prat in a shirt in the office :( Still there... in T shirt and jeans even for site visits :)

9 hours ago, Riedquat said:

The dress code part, if he's not customer facing I really don't see the problem. The rest speaks of a bad attitude.

It is borderline really, we get customers calling in from time-to-time (e.g. all day Thursday I'm hosting an important customer), regular audits, supplier meetings etc., albeit not constant. I thought I was pretty laid back but I expect someone to come in looking like they haven't just rolled out of bed - I'd not bat an eyelid at chino type trousers or smart jeans providing a plain shirt is worn. Nothing special for a shirt, I wear George/Tesco plain white shirts mostly, we're an industrial site so can get messy when on the plant. Don't think that dress code is unreasonable in any way, if the MD comes over I expect the site to look semi-professional, if only so I don't get nagged at.

Just now, Northern Welsh Midlander said:

First day of my new job (2010) I was the only prat in a shirt in the office :( Still there... in T shirt and jeans even for site visits :)

And you did the right thing though :P. You weren't sure so you "dressed up", better that way. I did the same in my very first job, suited and booted and practically put straight onto the production line :lol:.

3 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

And you did the right thing though :P. You weren't sure so you "dressed up", better that way. I did the same in my very first job, suited and booted and practically put straight onto the production line :lol:.

The clue should have been the guy who let me in to the building for the interview, jeans, tshirt and no shoes... never got to see the working environment tho :)

But OT... get rid before its too late.

Also missed off another red flag! I brought some material into the room to review with him (procedures and the like) and put it on the corner of my desk nearest me (he was sitting the other side of the desk reading through some notes). To set the scene, I never discussed this paperwork with him nor made any indication it was to be reviewed with him, he was working on another task at the time - the paperwork could have been anything. I was called out the room by a colleague and came back in to finding him reading through the procedure and him telling me he had already read it (he would've had to have leaned across the desk to get at it). I pointed out to him I handle a lot of confidential information (entirely true) and while I appreciated his intitative I'd have preferred it if he hadn't of assumed the material was for his eyes. The more I think about this, the more I think he was bang out-of-order but then I also think is this pettiness? I just know I would never have done that. Again...overfamiliarity. Gut instinct is saying something is way off so think I am making my own mind up the more I type!

Are probationary periods still allowed? I had a two-year long period in my first job, but was aggrieved to find that newer starts only had to do six months; I thought this was down to legislation.

Have you checked the guy's references properly or phoned his previous employers? He sounds as though he could be a serial offender, just trying it on for a pay off.