House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

£2210 a year spent in coffee shops

Me and my partner both live rent free with our parents in our late 20's we occasionally do go for a coffee, as £10-15 a pop is a hell of a lot cheaper than renting or home ownership. 

rather the monies go to coffee shops than private landlords. 

That's crazy money, I blame Friends (the TV series). I buy 3 of these a year - Kirkland Signature 100% Colombian Ground Filter Coffee, 1.362kg and make my own. Even including overheads of electric kettle boiling and coffee creamer it's around £60 a year.

49 minutes ago, interestrateripoff said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4680432/Britons-spend-2-210-YEAR-coffee-shops.html

As I don't spend anything in them others must be spunking twice that or more in them!

Me neither, so there's another mug spending 5K on coffee.

I can understand buying beer from a pub as it's a faff to make, but you can make coffee at home, literally, in a instant.

59 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

Me and my partner both live rent free with our parents in our late 20's we occasionally do go for a coffee, as £10-15 a pop is a hell of a lot cheaper than renting or home ownership. 

rather the monies go to coffee shops than private landlords. 

The typical yoof of today, cannot afford to buy a house because they are spending money in coffee shops (while probably using their iphones).

Sorry couldn't resist the open goal.... 

From "Statistical bulletin:Family spending in the UK: financial year ending March 2016 An insight into the spending habits of UK households, broken down by household characteristics and types of spending."

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/personalandhouseholdfinances/expenditure/bulletins/familyspendingintheuk/financialyearendingmarch2016

Apparently averaged rent spend is £50/week. As a £240/week household my wife and I want to know where we get such a deal...

Its peer pressure like everything else. My employers hq has three brands of coffee shop, including a starbucks. Some people will have 4 a day, some people sit and boast that they need a '7 shot grande' to get through the day.

The peer pressure part comes when organising meetings etc where a group of people expect coffee bought in rotation for and by each person. I usually stick to filter coffee if i have to but some people want an extra shot caramel latte...they'd be as well hold their hand out and ask you for a fiver.

Vending machine coffee , which is free, is generally referred to as 'council coffee'. I cant afford to subsidise coffee drinking for consultants on 100k+ a year so i stick to council coffee when asking a group of people if they want drinks....usually my mildly embarassed manager will chip in over the top of me and offer to get a round of 'real' coffee.

12 minutes ago, regprentice said:

Its peer pressure like everything else. My employers hq has three brands of coffee shop, including a starbucks. Some people will have 4 a day, some people sit and boast that they need a '7 shot grande' to get through the day.

The peer pressure part comes when organising meetings etc where a group of people expect coffee bought in rotation for and by each person. I usually stick to filter coffee if i have to but some people want an extra shot caramel latte...they'd be as well hold their hand out and ask you for a fiver.

Vending machine coffee , which is free, is generally referred to as 'council coffee'. I cant afford to subsidise coffee drinking for consultants on 100k+ a year so i stick to council coffee when asking a group of people if they want drinks....usually my mildly embarassed manager will chip in over the top of me and offer to get a round of 'real' coffee.

It's peer pressure for some people, I have literally worked behind the lines in thousands of corporations through my life in technology, service and sales.

Broadly without exception in the C suite you can find  kettles under desks, there was a run on those mini coffee makers under the desk but kettles have made a come back. You will also find a higher proportion of people who bring their lunch to work, motorcyclists and cyclists and people who invariably use public transport.

There is a direct causal link I believe to their attitude to waste (and it's not being tight) and their success, by the way decent consultants wouldn't expect you to pay so call them out

Greggs do a cracking coffee it won awards but I think many are buying into the starbucks image dicking about with a tablet while enjoying the ambiance and you cant really do this in Greggs.

Still in true HPC style For what everyone in work spends on a morning coffee in Monday I buy the beans and make my own all week!

1 hour ago, rantnrave said:

Waitrose Coffee is still free if you make a purchase...

I got pulled up by a till cashier for removing four used cups from a Waitrose bin last week. I use them for washing paint brushes, and she was fine with this.

But apparently many are taking used cups home, washing them, then returning to the store and filling them up with coffee without buying anything. Some even filling flasks from the coffee machine....:o 

And I thought Waitrose had a better class of customer...

33 minutes ago, juvenal said:

I got pulled up by a till cashier for removing four used cups from a Waitrose bin last week. I use them for washing paint brushes, and she was fine with this.

But apparently many are taking used cups home, washing them, then returning to the store and filling them up with coffee without buying anything. Some even filling flasks from the coffee machine....:o 

And I thought Waitrose had a better class of customer...

It's a bit of an ordeal asking for a new cup after you have just spent 10p on a reduced oat and fruit cookie( well actually at that price I bought six). But even 60p doesn't cut it with those check out battle axes. Washing the cup out and returning would be less of an ordeal than the reluctant cup handover.

1 hour ago, Hail the Tripod said:

In people's coffee? That's disgusting!!!

Oh come on, you telling me you've never had a gf who swallowed?

Of more concern surely:

Faecal bacteria found in ice from Costa, Caffè Nero and Starbucks

Hence the expression, "*Your_Favourite_Coffee_Shops_Name* are the sh!t!"

Or even possibly, in relation to coffee chain prices : "That sh!t ain't cheap!!"