House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

Construction & IT Boom Consequences - India's Sand Mafia

Imagine waking up for your morning stroll, and someone's stolen all the beach sand in the night ! 

It's then possibly used for a call centre building, due to EU IT demand 

India's Sand Mafia: The Dark Secrets of India's Booming Construction Industry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugT-zyXGNIY

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Indian construction methods as impressive as their IT then. 

Let me know how the rebar gets on with beach sand :lol:

1 hour ago, chronyx said:

Indian construction methods as impressive as their IT then. 

Let me know how the rebar gets on with beach sand :lol:

I know a bit about Indian offshore development centres.

Have had a few colleagues that visit them over a period of time.  Apparently they all look nice and shiny when built, but the quality is not that high, and also there is basically no maintenance.  After a few years they look like a total wreck and there is not much resemblance between the original building and how it looks a few years later (I heard most of this off 2 French guys, but have had it confirmed by others)

One mega trend that does not get much coverage in the ass kissing (to India) UK media, is the shortage of water.  It is common for Mafia gangs to control water tankers and water pipes that ship water in even to relatively prosperous areas.  Here is an interesting story about an offshore development centre being closed down due to lack of water:

https://www.google.ch/amp/m.timesofindia.com/city/chennai/it-firms-will-be-hit-hard-if-tanker-strike-continues/amp_articleshow/57505947.cms

https://www.google.ch/amp/m.hindustantimes.com/india-news/water-tanker-mafia-makes-hay-as-drought-misery-mounts-in-tamil-nadu/story-3LUHlim15PHCWkzCL8DFBO_amp.html

Edited by reddog

5 hours ago, reddog said:

Have had a few colleagues that visit them over a period of time.  Apparently they all look nice and shiny when built, but the quality is not that high, and also there is basically no maintenance.  After a few years they look like a total wreck and there is not much resemblance between the original building and how it looks a few years later (I heard most of this off 2 French guys, but have had it confirmed by others)

It's the same in China. I was over there last year dealing with a supplier. When he took our delegation to their offices, he was apologising profusely for the condition they were in, saying that the building was due to be demolished later that year. I asked him how old the building was and he said 16 years. I was shocked, I was expecting him to say more like 40 or 50, the building was in such poor condition (concrete disintegrating, cracks in walls every where, windows with visible gaps, etc). Building standards were probably crap to begin with, but the place was so filthy, it was like it had never been properly cleaned either. 

The same lack of pride seems to extend to their cars as well. I got a ride with a colleague in his relatively new Ford Focus. It sounded rough as **** when he started the engine, I suggested it was probably time for an oil change. He just dismissed me completely saying there was no need to do that, the car was running fine.

45 minutes ago, NuBrit said:

It's the same in China. I was over there last year dealing with a supplier. When he took our delegation to their offices, he was apologising profusely for the condition they were in, saying that the building was due to be demolished later that year. I asked him how old the building was and he said 16 years. I was shocked, I was expecting him to say more like 40 or 50, the building was in such poor condition (concrete disintegrating, cracks in walls every where, windows with visible gaps, etc). Building standards were probably crap to begin with, but the place was so filthy, it was like it had never been properly cleaned either. 

The same lack of pride seems to extend to their cars as well. I got a ride with a colleague in his relatively new Ford Focus. It sounded rough as **** when he started the engine, I suggested it was probably time for an oil change. He just dismissed me completely saying there was no need to do that, the car was running fine.

Reminds me of a great vid on the subject 

Good story 9 mins in

Why is Everything in CHINA FALLING APART?  

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship