House Price Crash Forum

Title says it all (with a little help from this link). Nobody is interested in giving us £90k! It almost beggars belief that living in a house for 8 whole years and not being paid more handsomely to do so is considered acceptable in a civilised society. We’re close to so many amenities, including neighours whose past rate of return provides ample fuel for our acute sense of entitlement.

Feedback is ‘It's a house’, which I’d think would be enough to get it snapped up!

It's a struggle not to be paranoid, but all indications are that someone has it in for us.

Be gentle, my faith in the basic decency of humanity is already wafer-thin.

V68qE9l.jpg

Edited by happily renting

'If we drop to 375 it's only 65k growth from 2009'....

so instead they want the full £90k of free money. 

its shocking how people just see it as mad gains, and then cant come to terms with no-one being willing or able to afford stupid bubble prices.

I hate that style of house, 5 bed three storey on a small plot.  If you look on the 'new build loser's' thread, then a lot of them are in that style.

7 minutes ago, reddog said:

I hate that style of house, 5 bed three storey on a small plot.  If you look on the 'new build loser's' thread, then a lot of them are in that style.

I know a family who live in one. The living accommodation is indeed split between ground and first floor. They rarely use the first floor living room, far too awkward and antisocial.

It's nice to read that thread and hear people say the market is slowing down, obviously you hear it on HPC, but obviously we can be a bit of a echo chamber.

I think that style of house only really exists due to new labour planning laws.  With the exception that you would cram as many as possible on to one site.  Note they also have limited parking, as the expectation was everyone would see the light and start using public transport!

The problem is if youre spending 400k on a house you expect it to be either a home for life or short term investment and hope to find a fool to buy it off you in a 2 years for 30% more.

Since the latter is no more you need to find someone who wants a forever home like you are selling in sg5 for 400k. 

Hmmmm. I can see so many things wrong with that. 

Here's another dream home...

"I just think it would be nice to have more disposable income per month and for dd to be able to walk in to town to meet her friends. Maybe I should get a bike."

Perhaps she could arrange to store it in the handy empty adjoining property that seems to be the main issue for potential buyers.

srjpbr5.jpg

forgot the elephant

Why do people spend a fortune on big lovely looking houses in the middle of nowhere again?

8 hours ago, GreenDevil said:

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/2971811-gutted-my-dream-house-is-going-to-auction

Here's a other dream home 435k in litchfield on a DC with no offers. They need the try the scented coffee\flowers trick to seal the deal.

Mumsnet are breeding hpi delusionals!

Hilarious, such delusion, 435k for what could be a nice place if it wasn't on a dual carriageway miles and miles from any stations on a weird hill...

Why do people spend a fortune on big lovely looking houses in the middle of nowhere again?

Elbow room? (Hey, I grew up on that stuff. Mind the genocide.) In this case transport links would be an issue for me – a mere 3 digit A road just doesn't cut it.

Apparently it used to be a pub. Owners are hoping the clock will strike happy hour again.

As long as I’m cruising the mumsnet property board – a bout of norovirus drove me to it – I would be remiss not to bring vivavivaviva’s most excellent observation to the forum’s attention:

“Try to forget the money, it’s all Monopoly money anyway.”

dWpBwyk.jpg

2 hours ago, Si1 said:

This. Your house is worth what you want minus the rest of your living life worth of extra commuting and extra travel costs to basic amendities. 

Well according to ''SparklyPyjamas'' (or some other equally whimsical infantile mumsnet username) it's apparently a bargain!

Sparklypyjamas

Presumably a last ditch grab for some meaning against the drab background of their pointless attention-seeking lives

it looks like it is on a busy road too, If you have a family with kids and pets that is always an issue.

As someone who has lived in the country a lot you always try and get a big back from these sort of roads as people drive like assholes on them.

It can be very dangerous as they are not looking out for pedestrians either.

9 hours ago, happily renting said:

"I just think it would be nice to have more disposable income per month and for dd to be able to walk in to town to meet her friends. Maybe I should get a bike."

Perhaps she could arrange to store it in the handy empty adjoining property that seems to be the main issue for potential buyers.

srjpbr5.jpg

Jeez who would buy that!

As someone who has lived in the country a lot you always try and get a big back from these sort of roads as people drive like assholes on them.

6IsLrXO.jpg

Back to Witless's woes –
"I think it's the kind of house you almost have to tell people how to live in… The first floor living room can be sold as an adults' retreat"

Better yet, the carport. Nobody likes those anyway.

G5tEtSU.jpg

Presumably a last ditch grab for some meaning against the drab background of their pointless attention-seeking lives

The usernamegame is actually one of the things I kind of like about mumsnet, and I envy their ability to easily change them. (Happily Renting is still apt enough, but I'd choose differently now.) It's a site I can never quite quit, despite numerous attempts: AIBU is like crack cocaine for those idle moments. The profanity policy is refreshingly adult. And although the user base practically defines 'sheeple' (they're hardly unique in that…), there are some genuinely thoughtful people posting.

On edit: I’ve just discovered that HPC allows 1 display name change a month. On my shortlist so far: Can’t Be Bothered.

Oh good, the playful sparring begins...

Dear SparklyPyjamas,

For the record, note that I didn't make fun of your username. I only mention that as it's a reasonable guess it was kindling for your outburst.

It's true I'm a man. It's also true that I'm angry, as is my wife [DW]. We're angry because, among other reasons, government policy is so ******ed up. We're angry at Mark "it's never a good time to raise interest rates" Carney, though you can hardly blame the guy, with all his career experience lowering them, it's possible he's forgotten it's even an option ("Seriously, I wouldn't know how. Somebody draw me a diagram.") We're angry because hindsight clearly shows we should've jumped into debt – the only game in town, now – long ago: mea culpa. We're angry that most people appear too short-sighted to see what house price greed does to the country. We're forever annoyed (anger is tiring after a while) that the phrase "cheeky offer" has pride of place in the lexicon, rather than the far more appropriate "cheeky asking price."

I'll admit that we're stupid. We didn't foresee the almighty effort to keep the market propped up. We didn't plan our lives accordingly. We would like to buy, if we had the option of purchasing something that looked like it was remotely worth the pile of actually hard-earned money we've saved.

We don't live in a bedsit. If I amble over to my living room, here's the view:

zASWLi0.jpg
At least I wish that was the view right now. 30.6 degrees so doesn't do it for me.

I posted here rather than on mumsnet because I figured that thread was meant to offer the OP support, and I have none to give. It was the the kinder thing to do, honestly, and those aren't tears of laughter. I picked on that thread because it provides such a naked example of someone who's part of the problem – greed is natural, but it needs to be socially unacceptable to be greedy for HPI. It's not too late to change, OP! Just remember that the love of money is the root of all evil. Having said that, a closer look at your back garden

oXy5LQQ.jpg

tells me your house is indeed a bargain, if those leaves are a suitable denomination.

Sincerely,
ColdDayInHell

PS. Changebagsandgladrags, it's true I haven't shaved lately. Another thing to blame on norovirus.
PPS. Photoshopping note: I couldn't find a UK money tree on short notice, and I'm not good enough to make one. Given the current exchange rate, any buyer will surely still be quids in.

Dear Bunnyfillyourpants,

I think you’ll find lots of people who post on HPC could buy your house if they were willing to set their sights low enough.

It’s not a bad looking house, really, though not to my taste and the location is enough to give me the hives. I’m sure you’ll eventually find someone to buy it and leave you with a profit, even if an insulting one; there’s still plenty of Monopoly money sloshing around out there.

You do appear to have an attitude problem, what with that unattractive sneeriness towards renters, but that doesn’t come as a surprise: you are now confirmed as a perfectly formed creature of the culture of which I despair. I wouldn’t come near someone like you as a landlord, but sadly, many don’t have a choice.

We have a very nice roof over our heads, thank you, and as a bonus, no bats in the belfry, though in a land full of crazy it’s sometimes hard to tell who’s sane, no?

Sincerely,
You’reMakingThisTooEasy

lndpqaS.jpg
(I don’t even know what a Playstation – shorthand for single unshaven slobs in bedsits, I take it? – looks like, I had to Google it. This is an old portable version, designed for ne'er-do-wells who have a little too much fun keeping their hands in their pockets.)

I don't think 'wisdom of the crowd' applies with mumsnet - why would you seek advise on that forum rather than consulting with various local EAs and making your own enquiries...?  you only get drivel.

6 hours ago, happily renting said:

6IsLrXO.jpg

Back to Witless's woes –
"I think it's the kind of house you almost have to tell people how to live in… The first floor living room can be sold as an adults' retreat"

Better yet, the carport. Nobody likes those anyway.

G5tEtSU.jpg

The usernamegame is actually one of the things I kind of like about mumsnet, and I envy their ability to easily change them. (Happily Renting is still apt enough, but I'd choose differently now.) It's a site I can never quite quit, despite numerous attempts: AIBU is like crack cocaine for those idle moments. The profanity policy is refreshingly adult. And although the user base practically defines 'sheeple' (they're hardly unique in that…), there are some sensible people posting.

On edit: I’ve just discovered that HPC allows 1 display name change a month. On my shortlist so far: Can’t Be Bothered.

I'm with you. Give me a parking dispute and a diagram and that's me for the afternoon. Excellent swearing as well.

DW, who has more sense than to get sucked into threads on forums, has been keeping tabs on this one. She complained about my wintry cold picture. Here’s one which meets with her approval:

FFDh2qv.jpg

Yes, Binbag,* we’re bitter that we have to wake up to that rented floor-to-ceiling panorama from our bedroom window, rather than owning a view like

qU1SDz6.jpg
(Not to be negative or anything. That’s as close as I could drop googleman, but it can’t be a million miles away from the OP’s view. She has my heartfelt sympathies.)

As my fellow inmate has helpfully reminded me, most people on that board are safely in the system: they see nothing abnormal about the way things are. Why would they? It’s isn’t currently abnormal. Just like interest rates at a 300 year low to keep the Titanic afloat no longer seems abnormal to half a generation and a multitude with short memories. As usual, anyone who doesn’t want to play the game and adopt a casual acceptance of Monopoly money gains is “bitter” or envious.

I’m perfectly aware I’m doing a dreadful job at winning hearts and minds. A week of nausea can do that to you. At any rate I think they’re refocusing their attention on the critical work of house presentation, which of course must have been what’s kept it from selling thus far.

It's been real.

EuzF7qE.jpg

*The gains you hope to realise are in large measure a result of policy which has hurt savers like us, which does leave a less than sweet taste in the mouth, if that helps answer your question.

Give me a parking dispute and a diagram and that's me for the afternoon.

An image search yields gold.

9 hours ago, fandanman said:

Jeez who would buy that!

Nobody ! Hence the dilemma from our bloody delusional HPIer. Too funny. Give it six months you wont even get viewing for less than half the original price.