Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
copydude

Ms May To Step Down In June 2019

Recommended Posts

The Sun scoops that Tory Grandees have asked/told Ms May to set her departure date. They want her to announce this at the Tory conference.

This, they argue, will strengthen Britain's negotiating hand during Brexit, since the EU will know they must deal with her.

It also means Teresa can soak up all the flak over Grenfell, Brexit, a plummeting pound, inflation, housing crises and so on. Then once Brexit is done and dusted, she can be dumped and a new squeaky clean Tory PM can take over and win the 2022 election.

What could possibly go wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, copydude said:

The Sun scoops that Tory Grandees have asked/told Ms May to set her departure date. They want her to announce this at the Tory conference.

This, they argue, will strengthen Britain's negotiating hand during Brexit, since the EU will know they must deal with her.

It also means Teresa can soak up all the flak over Grenfell, Brexit, a plummeting pound, inflation, housing crises and so on. Then once Brexit is done and dusted, she can be dumped and a new squeaky clean Tory PM can take over and win the 2022 election.

What could possibly go wrong?

One you know someone is going it makes them a lame duck.

They have to cling onto power now and ride out the property crash that now looks like its coming in the hope of riding the upswing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Fromage Frais said:

Once you know someone is going it makes them a lame duck.

Absolutely.

Also, this announcement is nonsensical: if you announce a departure date it's because you know you could go on for longer, but you'll choose to cut your reign short. In this case, 2019 sounds like wishful thinking. It's either a show of flimsy bravado, or a desperate plea to her colleagues to keep their knives sheathed a little longer ... but as FF says, it sounds like they've inadvertently created a lame duck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once she's gone it's not as if there's a great choice of candidates.  100% dross.

Not that the other lots are any better.

Edited by billybong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, billybong said:

Once she's gone it's not as if there's a great choice of candidates.  100% dross.

 

Conservative-leader-after-May-betting-odds-BetData-3-e1498685356430.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, maverick73 said:

The last minority party government, lasted two years (1976 - 1978). So I guess her time at the helm is an estimate based on the last occurrence ?

It's doable in theory, but in practice a lot of work. MPs will have to actually show up in the commons far more often than they are used to . . . and neglect all their other jobs. Motions of no-confidence could become commonplace. 

On her current form, I don't see Mrs May lasting 6 months. It's said no one else wants the job, but no Tory wants an election at this time and she's a real lead balloon for ratings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being Prime Minister at the moment must be the worst job in the country. So much mutually conflicting and unrealistic expectation. Unfortunately I feel a significant section of the electorate behave little better then kids in a sweetshop. Any time some financial responsibility is tried to be introduced there is uproar (bedroom tax, NI for self employed, tax credit reform, care at home funding, triple lock - and that was only to downgrade to a still generous double lock!). Meanwhile the national debt keeps on growing. What i don't understand is all this is why HS2 and trident seem to be untouchable.

I'll admit though there is a part of me that looks around at the number of cars over £40K on the roads and thinks that there is still plenty of people who can afford to pay more tax! I just know it will be a blunt income tax rise that will catch me also though with my kia people carrier and 3 bed semi :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Save me from the madness! said:

Being Prime Minister at the moment must be the worst job in the country. So much mutually conflicting and unrealistic expectation. Unfortunately I feel a significant section of the electorate behave little better then kids in a sweetshop. Any time some financial responsibility is tried to be introduced there is uproar (bedroom tax, NI for self employed, tax credit reform, care at home funding, triple lock - and that was only to downgrade to a still generous double lock!). Meanwhile the national debt keeps on growing. What i don't understand is all this is why HS2 and trident seem to be untouchable.

I'll admit though there is a part of me that looks around at the number of cars over £40K on the roads and thinks that there is still plenty of people who can afford to pay more tax! I just know it will be a blunt income tax rise that will catch me also though with my kia people carrier and 3 bed semi :(

Yes comrade, can't have others having more than you! Equal share for all regardless!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Northern Welsh Midlander said:

Yes comrade, can't have others having more than you! Equal share for all regardless!

Lol, fair comment, I perhaps didn't elaborate enough. Without going too far off topic, I suppose I mean that these days income from a job feels less and less important to how wealthy an individual is, and in my view, how much tax the person should contribute (tax total wealth, rather than excessively tax income). House prices contribute massively to this (if you got on the housing ladder late 90's, sorted, late 2000's, same salary will have bought a house worth less in today's value when compared ). Inheritance also plays a massive role. As a country we are quick to tax income from salary and withdraw benefits based on salary level, yet this measure is less and less an indicator of wealth (particularly for families, where a focus should be on the family income I feel) and how much that individual should be contributing to the country. I'm a higher rate tax payer, but with a stay at home partner looking after our young children, my on paper good salary provides less financial wealth then a couple both earning less who qualify for government benefits that I don't. Equally, people with large inheritance / trust fund will pay less tax then me despite being wealthier, I don't begrudge the windfall, just that I pay more tax year in year out.

Obviously the rules are what they are, the government has structured things to tax my time spent earning a salary highly, and so that effects decisions like whether to consider a promotion, apply to reduce my hours etc. I feel we are evolving into a less merit based society and in some respects going backwards in time to a more luck of birth based society.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Save me from the madness! said:

. . .  the electorate behave little better then kids in a sweetshop . . .  me also though with my kia people carrier and 3 bed semi :(

Exactly. What's wrong with a 2 bed and a foldaway in the lounge? People carrier? In my day mate, we bought a van and put windows in, then bolted a bench seat in the back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Save me from the madness! said:

Lol, fair comment, I perhaps didn't elaborate enough. Without going too far off topic, I suppose I mean that these days income from a job feels less and less important to how wealthy an individual is, and in my view, how much tax the person should contribute (tax total wealth, rather than excessively tax income). House prices contribute massively to this (if you got on the housing ladder late 90's, sorted, late 2000's, same salary will have bought a house worth less in today's value when compared ). Inheritance also plays a massive role. As a country we are quick to tax income from salary and withdraw benefits based on salary level, yet this measure is less and less an indicator of wealth (particularly for families, where a focus should be on the family income I feel) and how much that individual should be contributing to the country. I'm a higher rate tax payer, but with a stay at home partner looking after our young children, my on paper good salary provides less financial wealth then a couple both earning less who qualify for government benefits that I don't. Equally, people with large inheritance / trust fund will pay less tax then me despite being wealthier, I don't begrudge the windfall, just that I pay more tax year in year out.

Obviously the rules are what they are, the government has structured things to tax my time spent earning a salary highly, and so that effects decisions like whether to consider a promotion, apply to reduce my hours etc. I feel we are evolving into a less merit based society and in some respects going backwards in time to a more luck of birth based society.

Why so many look towards a land value tax on here. Pity it will probably never happen, or if it does will just be on top of current taxes to pay for more loonie left handouts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, copydude said:

It's doable in theory, but in practice a lot of work. MPs will have to actually show up in the commons far more often than they are used to . . . and neglect all their other jobs. Motions of no-confidence could become commonplace. 

On her current form, I don't see Mrs May lasting 6 months. It's said no one else wants the job, but no Tory wants an election at this time and she's a real lead balloon for ratings.

At least she's going for a full exit from the EU. Just imagine Mr Speadsheet as PM ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Save me from the madness! said:

Being Prime Minister at the moment must be the worst job in the country. So much mutually conflicting and unrealistic expectation. Unfortunately I feel a significant section of the electorate behave little better then kids in a sweetshop. Any time some financial responsibility is tried to be introduced there is uproar (bedroom tax, NI for self employed, tax credit reform, care at home funding, triple lock - and that was only to downgrade to a still generous double lock!). Meanwhile the national debt keeps on growing. What i don't understand is all this is why HS2 and trident seem to be untouchable.

And she is dragging down the Tory party with her.

 

Quote

 

Theresa May now second most unpopular Tory in Cabinet after support in party collapses

Party members turn against the Prime Minister after her general election disaster. Theresa May’s future is in fresh jeopardy after a dramatic collapse in support among Conservative Party members. The Prime Minister is now the second most unpopular Cabinet minister among the party’s grassroots. It gave her a net satisfaction rating of -26.1 – an extraordinary decline from +89.1 just a few weeks ago, before her general election disaster. But Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson has dropped to 13th place, only just ahead of Andrea Leadsom, who pulled out of last year’s leadership race. Only party chairman Patrick McLoughlin (-29.3) is more unpopular than the Prime Minister, apparently sharing the blame for the election gamble backfiring. Independent

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:   48 members have voted

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.