House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

1990s film you forgot about that are worth a rewatch

What 1990s films have you recently re-watched that stand up to the test of time?

I'm not talking about the likes Pulp Fiction which  are so good that they are shown all the time, but rather the ones you had forgotten about.

I've just watched New Jack City - and I think it is  well done, very cool and gritty gangster film.

Cold Dog Soup - well, it just sneaks in at 1990 though it feels very "eighties". A man accidentally kills his date's pet dog, hails a cab to go and bury it, then is persuaded by the cabbie to go on a mini roadtrip around nighttime New York trying to sell the dog. Randy Quaid as the cabbie plays a certain "manic weirdo" role that I associate with eighties films but as far as I know he's the only person ever to have carried it off.

For me the 90's is peak Coen brothers after they'd just found their groove with Raising Arizona inn 87

1990 Millers Crossing - highly underrated and stylish homage to film noir gangster films (and it's got Marcia Gay-Harden in it :))

1991 Barton Fink - surreal black comedy on 40's hollywood 

1994 The Hudsucker Proxy - quirky comedy about the little guy and big business

1996 Fargo - for me personally, my least favourite on this list as paradoxically it was the Coen's most 'normal' film

1998 The Big Lebowski - "The Dude" - 'nuff said, the man I aspire to be

Their subsequent stuff IMHO  doesn't quite hit the high marks that the films on that list consistently nailed - although they're pretty much still the best to come out of hollywood in the last 30 years

And Joe Versus the Volcano - for some unfathomable reason it's very seldom shown - worth it just to see a young and sexy Meg Ryan as three totally different women, - a very sweet and hopeful little film

Buffalo 66?

American History X?

The People vs. Larry Flynt?

Trouble is you've posed a perverse question: "help me remember good films you've found forgettable that weren't so good."

Only idiots like me would bother answering a question like that.

I'm going to ignore the question and offer a film from 1977.

How many of you have seen 'Sorcercer' by Fred Watkins? The film bombed at the time, partly due to an unfortunate release date. Can you think of any other famous film released in 1977? (answer in the link below)
http://www.businessinsider.com/sorcerer-movie-popular-35-years-later-2014-9

Currently available on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dosmm28Zf8

On 30/06/2017 at 11:30 PM, Quiet Guy said:

I'm going to ignore the question and offer a film from 1977.

How many of you have seen 'Sorcercer' by Fred Watkins? The film bombed at the time, partly due to an unfortunate release date. Can you think of any other famous film released in 1977? (answer in the link below)
http://www.businessinsider.com/sorcerer-movie-popular-35-years-later-2014-9

Currently available on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dosmm28Zf8

nice one. I've got the soundtrack by Tangerine Dream

Saw Ghost again a couple of months ago. Worth a go if you haven't seen it for a while

On 7/4/2017 at 0:22 AM, oldsport said:

Contact (1997, Jodie Foster, Matthew McConaghey)

Bicentennial Man

Gattaca

Still not a clue what's reqd, but ...

Saving Private Ryan

Schindlers List

Forest Gump

Apollo 13

Meet Joe Black

Good Will Hunting

South Central

Boyz n the Hood

Born on the 4th of July

JFK

Brassed Off

The Commitments

Trainspotting

The Bridges of Madison County

Unforgiven

In the Line of Fire

Dances with Wolves

Boogie Nights

Donnie Brasco

Goodfellas

Heat

Awakenings

Cape Fear

Jackie Brown

etc ...

On 04/07/2017 at 0:22 AM, oldsport said:

Contact (1997, Jodie Foster, Matthew McConaghey)

An all time favourite of mine. Massively underrated at the time. 

Demolition Man, good film but also interesting for the predictions from back then that have come true today, or almost come true (Schwarzenegger not quite President but was Governor of California)

14 hours ago, Mirror Mirror said:

Demolition Man, good film but also interesting for the predictions from back then that have come true today, or almost come true (Schwarzenegger not quite President but was Governor of California)

Interesting that the original winner of the restaurant wars was Taco Bell...on Sky MOvies it was hacked with Pizza hut in the last few years....although the Pizza Hut logo is cut over the Taco Bell ones, they missed a couple. And the lip sync for the new words is clearly imperfect.

Swingers, starring Vince Vaughan, and some other bloke that looks really old now. Very much sums up that mid to late 20s dating scene when you're just starting to realise a bit of confidence and a bit of money works wonders with the ladieees.