House Price Crash Forum

Venezuelan nightmare

Mrs Bear

On 06/07/2017 at 10:27 PM, debtlessmanc said:

How does the country function?

"The dark heart of Italy" by Tobias Jones is a good read (although more than a decade old now, so somewhat too focused on Berlusconi).

On 29/06/2017 at 6:41 PM, oracle said:

are you talking about scotland under the SNP?

Could just as easliy be venezuela but without the sunshine and miss world contestants.

The UK under Corbyn?

Who holds Chavez up as a poster boy....... He has in the past anyway

On 29/06/2017 at 1:37 PM, Mrs Bear said:

Have just been talking to a Venezuelan neighbour (married to a European and has been here for ages) - she has elderly parents in Caracas  and is worried sick about them.  Food so scarce and expensive - a piece of cheese at £30 - her mother has lost 12 kg since they can only eat once a day.  She is trying to get her mother over here for a couple of months but she doesn't have a passport and she can't even get out to the office to apply for one, because of riots and tear gas. 

Awful.  

I know some Venezuelans who got out years ago and it has been bad for years even when she visited in 2007 she couldn't buy milk or lentils.

Could your friend not get her parents to Colombia?  The cost of living there is a lot lower than here and getting  would be cheaper. She might find it easier to get a new passport in Bogota.

I am amazed that Venezuela still has doctors, I saw a program and this hospital doctor was only earning 30USD a month, he could get more working as a cleaner in Colombia! (Apart from North/South Korea are there any other neighbouring countries with such difference in wealth?).

On 29/06/2017 at 10:24 PM, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I went to Caracas in 2001, sad to see it go downhill. Yes in those days they had issues with poverty in the immigrant communities living in slums, but now the whole place is suffering.

I do somewhat worry that this is what Brexit may have in store when combined with a future Corbyn Government unrestrained by the Civilising effects of European Law.

Very true and I voted leave, then again under remain we might have had Cologne style New Year celebrations (might happen under leave).

I despair at our current politicians.

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/07/2017 at 9:17 PM, spyguy said:

No.

US has no interest in Venezuela.

Venezurls mess us down to Chavez spending all the oil boubty on creating a bent country.

Seriously? How can you post such drivel.

Venezuela is the country with the largest known oil reserves in the world and you claim the US "has no interest in Venezuela"? :rolleyes:

On what planet are you living on?

BTW here is an official US State Department memo about Venezuela (courtesy of Wikileaks):

PART I. BASIC U.S. INTERESTS
OUR FUNDAMENTAL INTERESTS IN VENEZUELA ARE:
1. THAT VENEZUELA CONTINUE TO SUPPLY A SIGNIFICANT
PORTION OF OUR PETROLEUM IMPORTS AND CONTINUE TO FOLLOW A
MODERATE AND RESPONSIBLE OIL PRICE POSITION IN OPEC;

On 04/08/2017 at 9:30 AM, The Eagle said:

Seriously? How can you post such drivel.

Venezuela is the country with the largest known oil reserves in the world and you claim the US "has no interest in Venezuela"? :rolleyes:

On what planet are you living on?

BTW here is an official US State Department memo about Venezuela (courtesy of Wikileaks):

Venezualan oil is too expensive to extract at the moment, basically there is an oil glut. This is the problen for Venezuela, that and the fact that Chavez borrowed so much assuming oil wouldnt go down in value. The follow on from that is the usual south american problem that no multinational will spend money trying to get the oil out cheaply if it exposes them to having all their assets nicked by the kleptocracy in charge. There is a wonderful irony in the argentinians getting their knickers in a twist over oil prospecting off the falklands when they essentially incapable of prospecting themselves in the area.

5 hours ago, debtlessmanc said:

Venezualan oil is too expensive to extract at the moment, basically there is an oil glut. This is the problen for Venezuela, that and the fact that Chavez borrowed so much assuming oil wouldnt go down in value. The follow on from that is the usual south american problem that no multinational will spend money trying to get the oil out cheaply if it exposes them to having all their assets nicked by the kleptocracy in charge. There is a wonderful irony in the argentinians getting their knickers in a twist over oil prospecting off the falklands when they essentially incapable of prospecting themselves in the area.

I would have thought that American shale oil producers would want Venezuela not to produce more they would earn less.

1 hour ago, iamnumerate said:

I would have thought that American shale oil producers would want Venezuela not to produce more they would earn less.

Possibly, i doubt they could undercut the current price US price given the politicial situation there. The people of don't deserved whats happening, but it is chavez and his chronies that have caused the problems. Just because the situatiion might be convenient to the US doesnt me they caused it. They havent destabilized Canada yet to stop the athabaster oil shale being dug out.

5 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

Possibly, i doubt they could undercut the current price US price given the politicial situation there. The people of don't deserved whats happening, but it is chavez and his chronies that have caused the problems. Just because the situatiion might be convenient to the US doesnt me they caused it. They havent destabilized Canada yet to stop the athabaster oil shale being dug out.

I agree, what I meant was the US has no interest (from the point of view of oil production - they are a net producer in destablizing Venezuela).  If they were to invade and put an efficient government in power, US oil producers would lose not gain money.  Sadly it is not that easy to put a good government in power.

Our esteemed Diane Abbott is quoted in today's Times as saying (in 2012) ) that Venezuela's electoral system was less liable to fraud and impersonation than the UK's.  

I wonder whether she was thinking of the free-for-all postal voting introduced by Blair, to which she presumably objected strongly at the time, since it was so obviously open to abuse?  

A year later she congratulated Maduro, 'tweeting that it showed "a better way is possible"'. 

On 11/07/2017 at 8:58 PM, geezer466 said:

The UK under Corbyn?

Who holds Chavez up as a poster boy....... He has in the past anyway

which is why I don't get the likes of davies,rees mogg et al doing a proper one liner on corbyn.

corbyn/abbott/mcdonnel....."venezuela shows us there is an alternative way to capitalism"

.......easy retort innit......."   yes, it certainly does, doesn't it?"

no bog-roll, medicine, resorting to eating your pets etc etc...

...we should add that corporatism(which is what we have now) is NOT proper capitalism...and if left unrestrained is just as bad.

On 06/08/2017 at 9:05 AM, iamnumerate said:

I agree, what I meant was the US has no interest (from the point of view of oil production - they are a net producer in destablizing Venezuela).  If they were to invade and put an efficient government in power, US oil producers would lose not gain money.  Sadly it is not that easy to put a good government in power.

well from a US standpoint I guess they would very much like the oil, but would not be overly keen on a russian missile base being parked there.

EU in the same boat with cyprus,

12 hours ago, oracle said:

well from a US standpoint I guess they would very much like the oil, but would not be overly keen on a russian missile base being parked there.

EU in the same boat with cyprus,

Would the Russians trust the Venezuelans to look after a missile base?  It is not a very secure country.

Archived