House Price Crash Forum
Morganite

If you cant afford a house why would you vote tory?

When they sold off all the council housing stock, they must have had incredible faith in their own "power to persuade" to think they would be able to command a majority of voters. As other posters have pointed out, the last Tory majority was in the early 90s! Were it not for the financial crisis, it's arguable Labour would still be in power, albeit in some form of coalition.

It's ironic really, that the social housing built by Labour, gifted the Tories a generation of voters who thought they were property magnates because they bought a council flat in Tooting for pennies and sold it to a yuppie a decade or two later for half a million. Now a few of them are noticing their kids can pull off the same trick. 

It would be funny, if it wasn't so tragic.

The Tories (and NuLabour) have ensured that the Private Rented Sector remains horrible in the UK (no security of tenure, high rents, high costs to secure a rental property, few rights or protections for tenants such as being able to decorate without having to ask ll permission, short tenancy lengths, properties not fit for human habitation, incentives for lls to cut corners and treat tenants badly etc), so that people become desperate to buy, not just because they imagine HPI but because they don't have to put up with all the insecurity and poor quality of life in the PRS. 

If the above were to change and the Tories were to make the PRS fit for purpose and more aligned with our Continental neighbours, then I imagine less people would buy, especially at these prices. The idea that everyone wants to be a homeowner is a bit of a relic and is predicated on a shit PRS. Take that away and the whole British homeowner obsession is no longer necessarily true (many of the younger generation do not see paying a mortgage for eternity as their sole reason for living). 

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/millennials-like-me-dont-actually-want-to-own-our-homes-with-proper-changes-renting-could-be-the-a7169631.html

13 minutes ago, fru-gal said:

The Tories (and NuLabour) have ensured that the Private Rented Sector remains horrible in the UK (no security of tenure, high rents, high costs to secure a rental property, few rights or protections for tenants such as being able to decorate without having to ask ll permission, short tenancy lengths, properties not fit for human habitation, incentives for lls to cut corners and treat tenants badly etc), so that people become desperate to buy, not just because they imagine HPI but because they don't have to put up with all the insecurity and poor quality of life in the PRS

If the above were to change and the Tories were to make the PRS fit for purpose and more aligned with our Continental neighbours, then I imagine less people would buy, especially at these prices. The idea that everyone wants to be a homeowner is a bit of a relic and is predicated on a shit PRS. Take that away and the whole British homeowner obsession is no longer necessarily true (many of the younger generation do not see paying a mortgage for eternity as their sole reason for living). 

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/millennials-like-me-dont-actually-want-to-own-our-homes-with-proper-changes-renting-could-be-the-a7169631.html

As always you have nailed it fru-gal.  It can be miserable as a private tenant and even if it isn't, its usually very expensive; buying is often the lesser evil.

The article points out the irony that the generation that is most affected have also been the generation that is most in favour of freedom of movement, the principal cause of high house prices in this country.

Somehow we have gone from the cheapest house prices in the history of mankind in 1996 ( as compared to spending power) to probably the most expensive in a mere 21 years. Not rocket science as to why.

Indeed if you don't accept migration is the main cause ask yourself why house prices in Beirut are half a million dollars a pop and why a Detroit house can cost a dollar under zirp.

Edited by crashmonitor

12 hours ago, Morganite said:

In a nutshell - Tories are burying their voter base.

In a couple of decades, unless something major happens in housing, most Tory voters will be buried or cremated.  They are very similar to the retired, home-owning generation that are currently selling over-priced shyte holes "because".  Indeed, they both are a dying breed. 

22 minutes ago, Mine the wheatfield said:

In a couple of decades, unless something major happens in housing, most Tory voters will be buried or cremated.  They are very similar to the retired, home-owning generation that are currently selling over-priced shyte holes "because".  Indeed, they both are a dying breed. 

We'll have virtual reality by then so everybody can live in a mansion in the cloud ;).

Good question, of course if you can't buy then you shouldn't vote Labour or Lib Dem instead as they were also responsible.

(In some places not London of course, affordability is probably better than in 2010).

This bit

Create Streets have shown that local resistance to new housing hugely declines if what is proposed is beautiful and in keeping with the style of the local area, something sadly lacking in much new architecture in the city.

Is not true in my experience, for example my parents oppose any new housing near them because of overcrowding etc - although they are anti any controls on immigration.

1 hour ago, crashmonitor said:

The article points out the irony that the generation that is most affected have also been the generation that is most in favour of freedom of movement, the principal cause of high house prices in this country.

Somehow we have gone from the cheapest house prices in the history of mankind in 1996 ( as compared to spending power) to probably the most expensive in a mere 21 years. Not rocket science as to why.

Indeed if you don't accept migration is the main cause ask yourself why house prices in Beirut are half a million dollars a pop and why a Detroit house can cost a dollar under zirp.

Exactly.House prices in my home town in the north are the same price they were in around 1996 inflation adjusted.No increase at all.No immigration there.

6 minutes ago, durhamborn said:

Exactly.House prices in my home town in the north are the same price they were in around 1996 inflation adjusted.No increase at all.No immigration there.

So relative to wages they are cheaper than in 1996, as a Londoner this is amazing - I assume that this is Durham.

3 hours ago, fru-gal said:

The Tories (and NuLabour) have ensured that the Private Rented Sector remains horrible in the UK (no security of tenure, high rents, high costs to secure a rental property, few rights or protections for tenants such as being able to decorate without having to ask ll permission, short tenancy lengths, properties not fit for human habitation, incentives for lls to cut corners and treat tenants badly etc), so that people become desperate to buy, not just because they imagine HPI but because they don't have to put up with all the insecurity and poor quality of life in the PRS. 

x2 good post

1 hour ago, Mine the wheatfield said:

Tories are waking up to their demographic problem but as ever they're late to the party.

The electoral system has covered up their structural failings for years.

24 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

Good question, of course if you can't buy then you shouldn't vote Labour or Lib Dem instead as they were also responsible.

(In some places not London of course, affordability is probably better than in 2010).

First banking bail outs conducted while ol Jezza et al were in power.I never heard Corbin protesting as Brown and Darling bailed RBS,or was he just really quiet about it?

Fair play to him though.He's got everyone questioning austerity even though there wasn't any.

The UK is headed for a sticky end whichever of the two main banker shill parties is in power.

13 minutes ago, durhamborn said:

Be interesting to know how much the population of the London Metropolitan area has increased in the past twenty years, officially and unofficially. Not just by immigration but by increased life expectancy.

23 minutes ago, durhamborn said:

well yes and if in southern England supply had kept pace with increase in demand arising from immigration then prices would not have been under such upwards pressure.  But then I keep hearing from many posters here that they is no shortage of supply..?

I would have voted remain if I had believed TPTB would have supplied the housing to meet the demand from immigration but we all know they won't and so reluctantly I thought I had no option but to vote leave.

21 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

So relative to wages they are cheaper than in 1996, as a Londoner this is amazing - I assume that this is Durham.

Yes cheaper,Il show you the street next to mine then,i bought one in 94 for £30k,can buy this one for £55k today and much nicer than the one i bought then,new kitchen,all double glazed,nicely decorated,move in without a thing to do.Spend a few hundred on the yard and touch up the bathroom,

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67047917.html

20 minutes ago, durhamborn said:

Yes cheaper,Il show you the street next to mine then,i bought one in 94 for £30k,can buy this one for £55k today and much nicer than the one i bought then,new kitchen,all double glazed,nicely decorated,move in without a thing to do.Spend a few hundred on the yard and touch up the bathroom,

55k gets you a nice house in a well regarded town in the north or half a periodic refurb on one council unit in a tower block in London. Such is the economic madness we have created this century.

No wonder London GDP is so high, 100k gets you nothing for your money down there.

Edited by crashmonitor

4 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

55k gets you a nice house in a well regarded town in the north or half a periodic refurb on one council unit in a tower block in London. Such is the economic madness we have created this century.

No wonder London GDP is so high, 100k gets you nothing for your money.

Indeed,Buy that house cash,have two kids,get 16 hours in Tesco,£25k a year income with tax credits,no mortgage.Retired.

24 minutes ago, durhamborn said:

Indeed,Buy that house cash,have two kids,get 16 hours in Tesco,£25k a year income with tax credits,no mortgage.Retired.

... get rained on for the rest of your natural life.

9 minutes ago, RentingForever said:

... get rained on for the rest of your natural life.

Rained on?.We have lower rainfall here than most places in the country,east of the Pennines has low rainfall ,though it is only 14 miles to the coast.90 minutes to the Lake District etc.The house price situation is mainly a southern problem.People make their choices.Live down south and work forever long hours to buy a property/rent,or live in the north and retire very very early if you use your loaf.What has drove prices back down up here is all the southern BTLers who bought 2003-2007 are all selling up with capital losses.They were buying at £70-£90k terraces then,selling for £39k-£55k now.

A:To stop the Labour muppets flooding the country with millions as they did with Bliar which has caused massive demand and vastly contributed to current high prices

2 hours ago, fru-gal said:

We'll have virtual reality by then so everybody can live in a mansion in the cloud ;).

Sure, just make sure you're firmly plugged in.

The-_Matrix-_Neo.jpg

6 minutes ago, durhamborn said:

Rained on?.We have lower rainfall here than most places in the country,east of the Pennines has low rainfall ,though it is only 14 miles to the coast.90 minutes to the Lake District etc.The house price situation is mainly a southern problem.People make their choices.Live down south and work forever long hours to buy a property/rent,or live in the north and retire very very early if you use your loaf.What has drove prices back down up here is all the southern BTLers who bought 2003-2007 are all selling up with capital losses.They were buying at £70-£90k terraces then,selling for £39k-£55k now.

On one of the auction threads recently,they were selling for less than that.....

1 hour ago, Wayward said:

well yes and if in southern England supply had kept pace with increase in demand arising from immigration then prices would not have been under such upwards pressure.  But then I keep hearing from many posters here that they is no shortage of supply..?

I would have voted remain if I had believed TPTB would have supplied the housing to meet the demand from immigration but we all know they won't and so reluctantly I thought I had no option but to vote leave.

I think that helped leave a lot.

1 hour ago, durhamborn said:

Wow, out of interest why have you not much immigration?