House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Van

ex-council repair bills

Hello HPC. Haven't really posted here for yonks, but just thought I would share the anecdote about friends who have just been hit with a roof-repair bill on their ex-council flat in the region of £30k. Didn't see that one coming.

They should be fine. They're fairly minted and they have plenty of equity. But just goes to show you that the house-owning dream sometimes isn't all its cracked up to be.

As someone who was forced to sell a house I liked by "neighbours from hell" I can also attest the property owning dream is sometimes not all it's cracked up to be.  It's cost me dear in terms of paying rent since moving out and selling costs plus more costs if/when I buy again.  The house I sold was a new-build so there were next to no maintenance costs but unfortunately you have no idea who your neighbours will be when you buy a new-build.  Also I was lucky it sold quickly.  If it had taken a while to sell I would have been a gibbering wreck whereas with a rented property it's relatively easy to move on.:mellow:

6 hours ago, Van said:

just thought I would share the anecdote about friends who have just been hit with a roof-repair bill on their ex-council flat in the region of £30k. Didn't see that one coming.

Wow! Some leaseholders in high rise flats can get huge bills. When tenants in such blocks exercise their right to buy, big alarm bells should ring.

I was a leaseholder of a low rise ex council flat a decade ago. On top of the usual service charge and ground rent was charged about £170 to redo a roof on a block of 6 storage sheds. So the bill to the council for that job was maybe just over £1000. I begrudgingly paid it though as I suspected most of the damage was caused by a neighbour's chav son and his hangers-on climbing onto it.