House Price Crash Forum
macca13

Shelter, 1 million homeless by 2020

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/jun/24/social-housing-poverty-homeless-shelter-rent

More than a million households living in private rented accommodation are at risk of becoming homeless by 2020 because of rising rents, benefit freezes and a lack of social housing, according to a devastating new report into the UK’s escalating housing crisis.

Tell the remainers we need more people ASAP.. Good job we have a fair free rental market,.. Our survey says.. X

Across the UK the charity has calculated that, if the housing benefit freeze remains in place as planned until 2020, more than a million households, including 375,000 with at least one person in work, could be forced out of their homes. It estimates that 211,000 households in which no one works because of disability could be forced to go.

So that's roughly 400,000 households where no one works and no one is disabled who fear they may struggle to meet the rent because their housing benefit isn't going up. Crazy thought - perhaps someone in the household could look for work so they could make a fractional contribution to their taxpayer-funded lifestyle. I mean, the Guardian thinks people should contribute £5 a month for reading their articles.

6 hours ago, Orsino said:

So that's roughly 400,000 households where no one works and no one is disabled who fear they may struggle to meet the rent because their housing benefit isn't going up. Crazy thought - perhaps someone in the household could look for work so they could make a fractional contribution to their taxpayer-funded lifestyle. I mean, the Guardian thinks people should contribute £5 a month for reading their articles.

Could they move somewhere cheaper? 

1. Who benefits from rent increases? Not people on housing benefits - they don't care if rent is £100 or £1000, their benefit is unchanged (a house). Follow the money.

2. Good luck filling 1m empty BTLs. They are the market. How are rents going to keep on rising?

Love how the Guadianistas are just utterly clueless on this. Asking questions like "how can an increase in 8% of the population cause rents to go up?" 

It is housing benefit (and other factors) that has lined the pockets of landlords, ramped up property prices by providing a floor on rental income, and makes up a nice chunk of the deficit. In 2015/16 the HB bill was £25bn while the deficit was £69bn. 

Don't get me started on the entitlement of central London claimants moaning and politicising their 'right' to be housed in the areas they grew up in while anyone working (short of being incredibly lucky) can't afford that, in the SE and London at least. 

Just now, mattyboy1973 said:

1. Who benefits from rent increases? Not people on housing benefits - they don't care if rent is £100 or £1000, their benefit is unchanged (a house). Follow the money.

2. Good luck filling 1m empty BTLs. They are the market. How are rents going to keep on rising?

Exactly! HB provides a rental income floor for BTL. The claimant gets a house regardless. If all those people were suddenly evicted where are the people with the money to take up those spaces. 

In Reading and surrounds we're actually seeing marginal reductions in asking rents, and anecdotally I've seen a large number of EU nationals in my firm (and others) being relocated or moving voluntarily.

Markets are made at the margins :) 

5 minutes ago, adarmo said:

Love how the Guadianistas are just utterly clueless on this. Asking questions like "how can an increase in 8% of the population cause rents to go up?" 

It is housing benefit (and other factors) that has lined the pockets of landlords, ramped up property prices by providing a floor on rental income, and makes up a nice chunk of the deficit. In 2015/16 the HB bill was £25bn while the deficit was £69bn. 

Don't get me started on the entitlement of central London claimants moaning and politicising their 'right' to be housed in the areas they grew up in while anyone working (short of being incredibly lucky) can't afford that, in the SE and London at least. 

+1 but feel free to start about the entitlement - in my case at least you will be preaching to the choir.

I once heard on the radio someone who had to move due to the benefit cap and she said "My friends who work don't live here anymore, they had to move it was too expensive". If the BBC had a different type of bias that would have been on the front page of their website.