House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sancho Panza

Royal Bank of Scotland to move hundreds of jobs to India

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40397684

'Royal Bank of Scotland is cutting 443 UK jobs dealing with business loans as it shifts many of the roles to India.

The state-owned bank said it was moving the jobs, which help to handle loans for small businesses, as part of an ongoing cost-cutting drive.

But the company, which owns RBS and NatWest, added that UK staff would still deal with customers and take the decisions on whether to grant loans.

The Unite union said UK workers and taxpayers would lose out from the move.

"By shipping these jobs to India, RBS will be getting that work done more cheaply at the cost of jobs and livelihoods here in the UK," a spokesman said.

'Extremely concerned'

The bank's small business customers will also be unsettled by the decision, according to Mike Cherry, chairman of the Federal of Small Businesses.

"Many small business customers with RBS will be extremely concerned at the idea of local expert staff being sent packing and their roles outsourced to call centres halfway round the world," Mr Cherry said.

He added it was the "wrong way to rebuild trust" after branch closures and a mis-selling scandal that saw thousands of small business customers compensated by the bank last year.

The company, which is still 73% owned by the government after a £45bn bailout in 2008, said staff in Mumbai would take over back-office roles such as background checks.

But it added that UK-based staff would continue to do the work that involved customer contact.

Credit decisions will also be taken in the UK, according to the bank.'

Can't believe we still own 73% .

At least RBS has kept the dog turd polishers in business.

1 hour ago, Noallegiance said:

Royal Bank of Scotland to move hundreds MORE jobs to India

Correct. I've a friend working for RBS in Edinburgh.  Thousands of IT and systems support staff in India. 

You get a really high standard of customer service and support from India so naturally this will all work out perfectly.

My company one of big 4 has sent loads of work to India , as it stands I'm currently only still employed as I have to physically deal with users but it looks as if the company employing the guys in India will take over the UK sites so we will be outsourced and left with option of redundancy or signing new worse off T&C's 

I've said before so much time is spent discussing immigration but little discussion on UK jobs being sent overseas as workers there are significantly cheaper to employ 

Judging by the average high street, I think the economic plan is for everyone in the UK to open a coffee shop or restaurant. 

Bugger all else seems to be opening. 

27 minutes ago, Nabby81 said:

as it stands I'm currently only still employed as I have to physically deal with users

I've said before so much time is spent discussing immigration but little discussion on UK jobs being sent overseas as workers there are significantly cheaper to employ 

Remember they can also second the foreign employee to the UK, no NI to pay for first 12 Months; and of course then pay the person with a mix of Min Wage + Tax Free Relocation expenses. It's a jolly wheeze, so 'temporary' foreign workers transferred here are more or less paid Gross.

I have to laugh at the press release.

RBS want to become a more UK-focused bank, but they're going to do this by outsourcing jobs to India :lol:

Rbs reckon their costs are around 30% higher than other uk banks and theyve been cutting aggressively everywhere. I worked there previously and i'm told most finance areas have a blanket 25% headcount cut this year. When i was working tgere 14 hour days were commonplace, ive no idea how they will cope after more aggressive cuts.

6 hours ago, NuBrit said:

RBS want to become a more UK-focused bank, but they're going to do this by outsourcing jobs to India :lol:

They tell staff they are a Global bank and therefore have to have 'Global' staff. 

IndiaMost jobs go to India where the salary was around 25% of the uk equivalent. There is also a lot of work going to a hub in Poland. Its almost the equal opposite of uk immigration.

India is begining to price itself out of the market - a friend works for HSBC who are offshoring some of their tax work to Sri Lanka. Cheaper staff...nice beaches. 

I don't understand how they are still managing to offshore big numbers of good paying jobs - I thought we'd taken back control?

This doesn't augur well for 2019...

21 hours ago, Tempus said:

Judging by the average high street, I think the economic plan is for everyone in the UK to open a coffee shop or restaurant. 

...with the new business rates and competition from overseas multi nationals who don't pay or pay little tax in the UK...these options don't stack up.....soon there will be few wealth creators to generate tax to pay for public services such as teachers, doctors etc etc and many self employed people who generate income without pensions or holidays will move overseas as they mainly rely on the internet to run their businesses and can be based anywhere and pay their taxes there..no business rates for them....the RBS is a public purse drain and needs plenty of tax payers to keep it going......:rolleyes:

20 hours ago, NuBrit said:

I thought they always prided themselves by having no overseas call services, all UK based....nothing ever stays the same, but different is not always better for everyone, only the few.;)

8 minutes ago, South Lorne said:

...with the new business rates and competition from overseas multi nationals who don't pay or pay little tax in the UK...these options don't stack up.....soon there will be few wealth creators to generate tax to pay for public services such as teachers, doctors etc etc and many self employed people who generate income without pensions or holidays will move overseas as they mainly rely on the internet to run their businesses and can be based anywhere and pay their taxes there..no business rates for them....the RBS is a public purse drain and needs plenty of tax payers to keep it going......:rolleyes:

Many small businesses have closed shop, most start ups don't last long-term.....the best new and innovative  restaurants and coffee shops will in future be serving at home.;)

On 26/06/2017 at 10:52 AM, Tempus said:

How can people who have lost their job buy made for you coffee or go to make it for you restaurants.....are they opening more coffee shops in India?;)

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:18 AM, Errol said:

You get a really high standard of customer service and support from India so naturally this will all work out perfectly.

Depends who you hire.... seriously

On 26/06/2017 at 10:45 AM, Nabby81 said:

My company one of big 4 has sent loads of work to India , as it stands I'm currently only still employed as I have to physically deal with users but it looks as if the company employing the guys in India will take over the UK sites so we will be outsourced and left with option of redundancy or signing new worse off T&C's 

R the Indians any good? I've worked for some big insurance company who brought the work back onshore as the standard was terrible

4 minutes ago, insertcoinstocontinue said:

R the Indians any good? I've worked for some big insurance company who brought the work back onshore as the standard was terrible

Very very good at doing exactly what they've been told to do, not so good at working it out for themselves. Take away the script and they struggle to ad lib.

I think it's a product of their education system.

8 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Very very good at doing exactly what they've been told to do, not so good at working it out for themselves. Take away the script and they struggle to ad lib.

I think it's a product of their education system.

Shame. Not the answer I was hoping for. So you need twice the business analysts and testers? It's hard not to get downbeat about the future of this country. I'm in IT and approaching 40. I do wonder how long it will be before I'm serving you frothy coffee. Feck me I'm depressed. I just want to buy a house at even 10x average earnings and have a job that pays the mortgage and gives me enough for the basics and the off vice! Surely that's not too much to ask???