House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

Decent homes for all… Has the social housing dream died?

Many seem to mention the fact broken lights and dark walkways make places unsafe, rather than admitting it's the people those scenarios attract that make it unsafe. Perhaps if the minority dregs had fitting punishments and moved out then all council estates could be nicer places.

Decent people should be rewarded, or at least be allowed the reward of security. Those that cannot live responsibly shouldn't be helped, or be moved to live with their own kind.

54 minutes ago, honkydonkey said:

Many seem to mention the fact broken lights and dark walkways make places unsafe, rather than admitting it's the people those scenarios attract that make it unsafe. Perhaps if the minority dregs had fitting punishments and moved out then all council estates could be nicer places.

Decent people should be rewarded, or at least be allowed the reward of security. Those that cannot live responsibly shouldn't be helped, or be moved to live with their own kind.

Yep. This is the problem with housing people by "need". A lot of the time this equates to rewarding irresponsibility like overcrowding (having more children than you can provide bedrooms for) with a larger subsidised property. 

2 hours ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Has the social housing dream died?

I hope not - I'm on my local authority housing register.

To their credit, they are building new council homes.

3 hours ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

So why didn't Labour stop right to buy?  God knows they were in power for long enough.  Was there any pressure then from the Guardian to do so?  

To be entirely fair, I don't think anyone can have envisaged, when RTB was first introduced, that house prices would ever have become so unaffordable - nor that we'd have quite so many extra people to house.  

Recently found out that a large council estate very near us - fairly spacious 1950s low rise flats with quite a bit of green space, a lot of them having views over Richmond Park, owe their existence at least in part to the Luftwaffe.  There was formerly a mansion in 20 acres on the site, but it was so comprehensively bombed (BAE factory not far away and their aim was not perfect) that the council was able to buy it for social housing.  

7 minutes ago, Mrs Bear said:

So why didn't Labour stop right to buy?  God knows they were in power for long enough.  Was there any pressure then from the Guardian to do so?  

NuLabour is not Labour Mrs Bear, as indicated by Blair having tea with Thatcher and then whoring himself around to anybody that might listen (only in the USA of course) after his tenure.

The genuine left is suspicious of global capitalism, deregulation, economic liberalism; it has a class view of politics. New labour shared non of these views, being wedded to thatchers belief that an extended, deregulated free market was best for society. Where they did depart from thatcher was an understanding that such policies would have some losers; public money should be spent on schemes to ameliorate this, the motivation being a mix of genuine compassion, electoral necessity, need to prevent social disorder.

They built hardly any social housing, much less than even thatcher's governments did. I am very surprised much more hasnt been made of their scandalous Pathfinder scheme.

1 hour ago, jonb2 said:

NuLabour is not Labour Mrs Bear, as indicated by Blair having tea with Thatcher and then whoring himself around to anybody that might listen (only in the USA of course) after his tenure.

It's always the Tories' fault :rolleyes:

You can blame Thatcher and New Labour, but the source of our ills were in America with Reagan and then Clinton. In particular, it was Bill Clinton who first recognised he could get re-elected through house price inflation, and the Blair Creature merely copied his Machiavellian methodology.

The UK's problem though is that unlike the US, where there is an existing productive economy away from real estate, we don't have an economy that could survive a major house price crash. So governments after Blair have been forced to re-inflate the housing bubble and kick the can further down the road.

BUT saying that, the devaluation of sterling offers a once in a lifetime opportunity to re-balance the economy away from housing and services (which are very reliant on hpi) towards manufacturing and exports.

The question is whether we can achieve a quiet, slow reduction in house prices whilst we rebalance?

House price crashes in the UK tend to take around five to seven years and I think we could just about manage to rebalance over a seven year period, without risking a major domestic recession/depression, with my very optimistic hat on. But if interest rates start to climb in response to imported inflation, the risk is the Everything Bubble will collapse with resultant economic chaos. 

I`ve been a `council dweller` for 12 years and it`s great ! (2 bedroom semi, rent about £95 a week)

I pay my rent once a year in advance. Peachy....

6 hours ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Those tower blocks were likely a decent home to the people that lived there.   A mate's dad when i was a nipper worked for decorum council fixng all the stuff from broken tiles to stripping back all the additions like dimmer switches on a move out, paint jobs, basically maintenance.  all that changed with maggie's sell off, on the loan/home owner now

1 hour ago, council dweller said:

I`ve been a `council dweller` for 12 years and it`s great ! (2 bedroom semi, rent about £95 a week)

I pay my rent once a year in advance. Peachy....

It's a shame all council property was not built low rise like this with hindsight. The property was probably built for diddly squat, requires minimal refurbs and you probably pay close to an economic rent housing bubbles aside.

1 hour ago, crashmonitor said:

It's a shame all council property was not built low rise like this with hindsight. The property was probably built for diddly squat, requires minimal refurbs and you probably pay close to an economic rent housing bubbles aside.

The bungalow was built for £1,200 in 1953 using common land. Indeed refurbs have been very few and far between but they`ve still been done. This past week they`ve put in a couple of fans which should improve things....cost £2 per year with them running all the time.

Our council only fit the best !

The price of land could have been 50 to £100 in 1953 anyway ?

13 hours ago, hotairmail said:

Actually, I look at what I've written and can tell you, in virtually all aspects (apart from taking responsibility for things like utilities and housing) Labour and New Labour are exactly the same.

Hot, I am certainly an anti-fan of our current political system. I think it's anachronistic and not-fit-for-purpose. Super-prone to 1% fat controllers, a 50 year-old tradition getting exponentially worse. I admit, this seems global though, bit with degrees of cancer levels. Which is why constant change at the top is good while the elites try to influence things.

Corbyn is not Tony Blair or Trump - or perhaps he is? Feck knows, maybe he will be better than what we have now. Not too difficult.

It was always going to end up with some form of wealth confiscation from the old, they voted themselves wealthy by allowing the rich to get richer (including themselves) at the expense of several generations of young people have either no future or a bleak future.

Don't be surprised as this gradually unfolds. We all knew eventually it would go this way. At least it currently has a left leaning tint to it. Could easily be some right wing nutter who sees an opportunity and starts to say all the right things.

There will be a void, but i suspect that right wing nutter is out there and will only need to start saying stuff like:
"tax the old"
"hospitals are clogged full of old people who didn't pay enough towards them, they should be segregated into 'old peoples' hospitals with the funding of said hospitals based on said generations real input into the system" (no funding)
"revoke bankers passports, followed by tax the bankers"

it will happen its only a matter of time. said person will sweep to power. 

history repeats. Ever action has an opposite and equal reaction. If i were over 55 now i would be very scared for my future knowing how badly i had screwed over the young, knowing thats going to start to bite.

Early days yet. Growing old? Dont rely on public pensions or expect to keep a house with more rooms than you need. Plan accordingly. 

1 hour ago, hotairmail said:

Lately I have become more concerned. I don't like seeing rabble rousers playing a crowd with young faces looking eagerly up at their new stars cum leaders. Such leadership coupled with an ideological zeal is a very dangerous concoction. I'm sure Corbyn's heart is in the right place - but that is where it starts and then ideology leads to crushing all resistance using the rabble as one's weapon.

Good point Hot. I think it's easy to 'go with the flow' simply out of desperation for change. I am not sure whether we are seeing a beginning of something new that's good or bad. Humans have traditionally turned things around by first embracing anything (religion, communism, Hitler, Michael McIntyre etc) and then correcting it. May take a long time.

I say again, we are living in an age of abnormal hyper-greed. It's worse than the robber-barons of old becuase they at least were local, not global. But it is our greatest enemy and is truly undoing a lot of mankind's progress.

2 hours ago, jiltedjen said:

Don't be surprised as this gradually unfolds. We all knew eventually it would go this way. At least it currently has a left leaning tint to it. Could easily be some right wing nutter who sees an opportunity and starts to say all the right things.

Interesting that you seem to think that left is inherently better than right (?). So Communism or Stalin would be ok?