House Price Crash Forum

Tory voters dying off at a rate of 2% a year

TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA441

Lord Heseltine: Tory voters dying off at a rate of 2% a year

"Another 2% come in at the young end of the electorate - they are about 70% Labour"

http://news.sky.com/story/lord-heseltine-tory-voters-dying-off-at-a-rate-of-2-a-year-10920843

Now, if only there was a way to buy those young peoples votes....

HOLA442
6 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Now, if only there was a way to buy those young peoples votes....

That would mean long term policy and thinking beyond the expected term of government. If it is a choice between short term mad gains at the expense of 99% of the population and watch it burn or a large investment in the future with social housing, healthcare and education advances? We all know what the politicians would choose...

HOLA443
HOLA444
43 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

And as the young age, they swap the red flag for the blue carpet slippers.

It was the same when I was in my teens in the 1970's as it is true today.

I've been saying the same everytime this comes up on here.  Which is often.

I've been thinking though.  The assumption that people become less left-wing as they get older is predicated on them becoming a property-owning stakeholder in the status quo.

If large numbers never get onto the "property ladder" and are doomed to perpetual renting, this assumption won't hold.  Not to the same degree anyhow.

I think even Thatcher knew this, hence right to buy.

HOLA445
2 hours ago, kzb said:

I've been saying the same everytime this comes up on here.  Which is often.

I've been thinking though.  The assumption that people become less left-wing as they get older is predicated on them becoming a property-owning stakeholder in the status quo.

If large numbers never get onto the "property ladder" and are doomed to perpetual renting, this assumption won't hold.  Not to the same degree anyhow.

I think even Thatcher knew this, hence right to buy.

I think this is 100% correct KZB. Up till now, people did have a stake - less so here as time marches on.

I say it again, the lack of thinking power in politics and the MSM is extraordinary. They just assume it's all tickety-boo, as Boris would say and people will cheer him on as the likeable buffoon. Why do people still listen to him? Oh, that's right, it's a break between swapping cake and cat pictures on SM.

HOLA446

Thanks for the agreements !

There are other factors which go the other way though.

As you get older you realise that a lot of people really are NOT team players.  it's me me me, self interest all the way.

I've also got the feeling that as a white cisgender employed male I am seen as the enemy by the left, and this particular turkey has stopped voting for Christmas.

HOLA447
HOLA448
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA449

2% a year dying out + a million young people registering to vote every year, with 70% leaving Labour.

Thats a pro-housing Labour majority if the election is held this time next year if nobody changes their mind, which is pretty good considering Generation Rent voters won't outnumber Baby Boomers until sometime around 2024*

Tory's will need a clear out of the cabinet in order to regain credibility on housing.

* Good projections are pretty hard to make because UK population data is pretty shitty.

HOLA4410

What's different now is the ingrained division. It always swung back and forth, people of all generations voting for both hues. Anyone who picks a side and sticks with it is an annoying tribal minority who won't tolerate dissension away from their narrow viewpoint.

- Give those less fortunate a helping hand in life
- They are getting too much for nothing it's not fair
- Crush them
- Well that's a bit unfair, what are we, animals? lets give them a helping hand etc....

Even red and blue cross the floor on these things often at the beat of the media drum.

But this division is breeding  such short termism, a population so eager to vote for their own interest at the cost of everyone else. Everyone is hard done by, everyone else has it easy

HOLA4411
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4412

In America, the kids at school today are the most right-wing since 1776. If they were the ones voting, Trump would have won almost every state in the country.

They've figured out just how much the left have shit on them. That realization is coming to the UK real soon, now.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
  • 4 weeks later...
HOLA4415
On 20/06/2017 at 4:51 PM, kzb said:

The assumption that people become less left-wing as they get older is predicated on them becoming a property-owning stakeholder in the status quo.

I’ve gone completely the other way, definitely become more left wing as i’ve got older - that said, I am still pretty right wing.  But more in the sense of Thatcher, than Rees Smog.

HOLA4416
On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:38 PM, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I’ve gone completely the other way, definitely become more left wing as i’ve got older - that said, I am still pretty right wing.  But more in the sense of Thatcher, than Rees Smog.

I would say I am still fairly left wing in economic issues. 

Left and Right are being replaced by Identity Politics.  This is where I part company with "the Left" I'm afraid, and why I won't vote Labour any more.  But I won't vote Tory either.

HOLA4417

This study finds that people really do get more Tory as they get older:

....the maximum possible ageing effect averages out at a 0.38% increase in Conservative voters per year. The minimum possible ageing effect was only somewhat lower, at 0.32% per year. This may not sound like a massive effect, but over the course of a lifetime these increments do add up. Even if only the minimum estimate is correct, the difference between 20- and 80-year-olds is nearly 20 percentage points. This means that our estimate of ageing effects precisely explains the 19-point difference between the percentage of 20 and 80-year-olds who voted Conservative in the 1997 election.

This means that the Conservatives probably shouldn’t be too worried about their support base thinning out and being replaced by younger, less conservative generations. If history repeats itself, then as people get older they will turn to the Conservatives.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/03/do-we-become-more-conservative-with-age-young-old-politics

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
11 hours ago, Dorkins said:

The study finds that people did get more Tory as they got older. That study is 2 general elections out of date.

But it gives reasons which are probably basic biological truths.  For example, people on average like change less and less as they age. 

HOLA4420
On 9/10/2017 at 6:32 PM, MarkG said:

Don't have one handy, but Americans don't call them Generation Zyklon for nothing.

That said, Generation Throw-All-The-Leftists-Out-Of-Helicopters may be more apt, since they're big fans of Pinochet.

I think you might be wrong there. None of my american friends have children like that. I've met them. 

It seems to be a more of a group of embittered middle age men. I'm not saying that they are wrong to be embittered. I do have a friend like that and his kids are different to him.

There are some younger ones but that's always the case. As a generation - no.

Edited by Flopsy

HOLA4421
8 hours ago, kzb said:

But it gives reasons which are probably basic biological truths.  For example, people on average like change less and less as they age. 

If people don't like change they probably shouldn't vote Tory. Falling real wages, house price hyperinflation, falling homeownership, minimal security of tenure for private renters. Hardly a stable foundation on which to build a life.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
14 hours ago, Dorkins said:

If people don't like change they probably shouldn't vote Tory. Falling real wages, house price hyperinflation, falling homeownership, minimal security of tenure for private renters. Hardly a stable foundation on which to build a life.

You're assuming there is some logic to the situation.  I'm not claiming that.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
14 hours ago, sPinwheel said:

Brexit is a pretty massive change. And old people voted for it in droves....

If you are above a certain age it was being in the EU that was the change.

Younger people don't have that perspective.