House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Locke

Savills Farmland Price Index vs The Housing Crisis

Many people believe that lack of housing has driven HPI, while some of us contend that easy money has blown up asset prices, while much of the housing stock sits unoccupied.

I bring to you Savills Farmland Price Index 

http://www.savills.co.uk/farmland-value/index.html

If the HPI is down to housing shortage, how is it that farmland has followed a broadly similar pattern?

Is the increase in Farmland price since 2001 an indication of inflation at 9.6% annual, or does it indicate that farmland became an investment asset around that time?

Both are being driven by speculation, nothing else

EVERYTHING of any value detached from any kind of reality when the bankers were handed printed money.

This is a crime of the highest order and should be treated as such.

Tell me about it, I rent a small farm and saved to try and buy one of my own, but the printed money pushed the price up so fast my earnings didn't even come close to keeping pace with it. As it stands at the moment , a car is the price of a house, and a house is the price of a farm if you see what I mean. Ive given up on the idea of owning my own farm now, I'm too old and my interest has ebbed away.

2 hours ago, simon49 said:

Tell me about it, I rent a small farm and saved to try and buy one of my own, but the printed money pushed the price up so fast my earnings didn't even come close to keeping pace with it. As it stands at the moment , a car is the price of a house, and a house is the price of a farm if you see what I mean. Ive given up on the idea of owning my own farm now, I'm too old and my interest has ebbed away.

So sorry to hear that Simon.  Dreams denied and blighted lives everywhere you look thanks to the ignorant greed of a minority. 

As I understand it, farmland is free of inheritance tax, and merely owning it qualifies you for EU subsidies, hence its price is completely divorced from its utility value.

4 hours ago, Rave said:

As I understand it, farmland is free of inheritance tax, and merely owning it qualifies you for EU subsidies, hence its price is completely divorced from its utility value.

This is true about the inheritance angle and this had resulted in the price of land becoming directly linked to its fundamental economic value. This makes farming less profitable as an enterprise for new entrants but still an effective investment for those dodging IHT.

For the latter, the economic yield of the land is not very important - it helps fund the cost of carry, but otherwise does not make a huge difference. 

9 hours ago, simon49 said:

Simon - your last line has too much pathos for words and demonstrates the mess we are in