House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

Tories did not build new social housing over fears it would ‘create Labour voters’ says Nick Clegg

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/17/tories-did-not-build-new-social-housing-over-fears-it-would-create-labour-voters-says-nick-clegg-6715800/

‘It would have been in a Quad meeting, so either Cameron or Osborne,’ Nick Clegg told the Guardian.

‘One of them – I honestly can’t remember whom – looked genuinely nonplussed and said: “I don’t understand why you keep going on about the need for more social housing – it just creates Labour voters.”

Edited by fru-gal

It wouldn't surprise me at all if this had been said. On the other hand, I would be astonished if it had been said in a minuted meeting.

It almost sounds like Nick Clegg will be releasing his memoirs soon, and wants good sales.

First time for many generations whole families who always owned one home now find themselves having to rent.....does this mean greater numbers of people getting poorer, country getting poorer, income earned and spent on high rents, access to owning assets now out of reach in proportion to income earned.....working hard no longer works.;)

2 hours ago, Mine the wheatfield said:

May be Nicky is very selective about what he remembers and does.....

And when he remembers it.

1 hour ago, hotairmail said:

Buy-to-Let mortgages have created legions of Labour voters and baking in a cake whereby a majority will be renters.

The Tories could very easily chase the votes of the new generation of private renters if they wanted to. Their votes are completely up for sale to whoever will get them decent housing at a reasonable price. Seems like Osborne realised this, hence S24.

3 minutes ago, ****-eyed octopus said:

I'll repeat it again, in a democracy all politicians buy votes. It cannot be any other way.

They just shouldnt be allowed to use public funds to do so.

11 hours ago, hotairmail said:

Buy-to-Let mortgages have created legions of Labour voters and baking in a cake whereby a majority will be renters.

That is probably why Labour wanted it to happen.

Of course Thatcher built more social housing in a year than new Labour did in 13 years

https://fullfact.org/economy/who-built-more-council-houses-margaret-thatcher-or-new-labour/

To look at it another way, New Labour built an average of 562 council houses per year. And Mrs Thatcher's Conservatives? 41,343. That said, it's also true that the number of council houses under construction declined steadily during Mrs Thatcher's era.

The real reason Labours council housing numbers plumetted was they carried out a masive and costly refurbishment of existing stock, it was badly needed.

4 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

UK politics is like watching several organised crime syndicates vying for power.

thats what a government is! real difficult 2 buy a home if the mafia are gona take it at bellow market value, u need 2 get with the program now count, this country is dead, look at all the poor people trying 2 put corbin in power, whats gona happen if he is elected after the tories back out of sorting out the budget deficit? we need NEW not any of the 3 parties its as simple as that, no ex tories in uk throw the lot of them out and vote for any 4th party, they cant possibly do any worse.

rsz_corbin.jpg

4 hours ago, ****-eyed octopus said:

I'll repeat it again, in a democracy all politicians buy votes. It cannot be any other way.

only the mentally incapable, most people are minerally deficient which creates psychological issues = mentally poor and labour, its the swing vote and the evidence of the poor diet in the uk, cant think man

5 minutes ago, adarmo said:

I wonder what excuse Labour had then for not building any?

Because they are/were up to their necks in BTL? Anyone remember Michael Meacher MP for Labour and his 9 BTL properties? They are all in the game.

The Conservative party has the highest number of landlord MPs at 128, meaning 39% of Tory MPs are landlords, compared with 26% of Scottish National party MPs and 22% from Labour.

The research reveals a much higher proportion of MPs are landlords than the general adult population, in which just 2% are estimated to be renting out homes.

https://www.theguardian.com/housing-network/2016/jan/14/mp-landlords-number-risen-quarter-last-parliament-housing-bill

Edited by JustAnotherProle

16 hours ago, winkie said:

I would say the Tories are creating more Labour voters by not building more social housing.;)

True.

They also alienate those of us bought a house only to have the work-shy and the migrant move in next door thanks to the benefit fuelled BLT boom.

4 hours ago, iamnumerate said:

That is probably why Labour wanted it to happen.

Of course Thatcher built more social housing in a year than new Labour did in 13 years

https://fullfact.org/economy/who-built-more-council-houses-margaret-thatcher-or-new-labour/

I thought it was even more extreme - that in the entire 79 to 97 Tory administration, more council houses were built every year than in the entire Labour administration that followed it. 

It is so counter intuitive that it is still very easy to blame the shortage of council housing solely on the tories.

Not sure what the problem is here to be honest. Every new development has to have flats/houses going to social housing. Councils rent flats as social housing. Lack of government purpose built social housing doesn't mean social housing doesn't exist, does it.