House Price Crash Forum
Fairyland

Emergency house seizure law

Apologies if this is already posted. 

The Guardian: Labour says emergency house seizure laws could ease Grenfell Tower crisis

Labour has urged the government to consider emergency legislation to ensure property can be requisitioned to house the families made homeless by the Grenfell Tower fire.

John McDonnell, the shadow chancellor, said councils already had the power to requisition property, using compulsory purchase orders, to find places for people to live.

Last week Jeremy Corbyn, the Labour leader, suggested these powers should be used in Kensington following the fire tragedy.

In an interview on Sky’s Ridge on Sunday, when it was put to McDonnell that this process could take time, he said parliament could legislate to speed things up.

“In emergency measures, as we saw in wartime periods as well, you can requisition properties. You will need powers to do it. We have got those powers,” McDonnell said.

What are the chances of this happening? 

If it does happen what will happen to all those savvy investors?

6 minutes ago, Fairyland said:

5 minutes ago, flb said:

Agreewith flb: zero chance.

However, were there another GE and Corbyn becomes prime minister, the memory of these sorts of comments may make overseas investors more cautious about London as a safe haven.

They can't lose on this one. Either the government rushes it through as requested, or fail to do so and appear even more uncaring and heartless than already. 

Zero. The time taken means this is an entirely impractical solution to an immediate problem, as far as I can tell. 

Less satifying, but much faster to just rent a bunch of flats on the open market.  More than 2500 available, according to rightmove, and that's just Kensington, there's also Shepard's bush, Notting hill, and so on. 

More than 10,000 two bed flats within 3 miles of North Kensington available to rent right now. 

Edited by DrBuyToLeech

I think this is a great idea....All of those MP's SECOND London homes could be first, after all, I am sure they would want to be seen doing their bit for 'Community spirit', the inconvenience of a few months journey travelling into London for them would give them a 'new perspective' on the transportation network and I am sure it would help 'focus' their minds and make sure the issues of homing these people in a more permanent solution would be addressed ASAP :-)

I think it may depend who wins the election. That said there is case law showing that a Government can't seize private assets.

Places like 1 Hyde Park Corner would be on my bucket list if I were Corbyn, or there are some in Margate that could be ripe for the picking.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

1 hour ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I think it may depend who wins the election. That said there is case law showing that a Government can't seize private assets.

Places like 1 Hyde Park Corner would be on my bucket list if I were Corbyn, or there are some in Margate that could be ripe for the picking.

Seize, maybe not, but compulsory purchase certainly exists. 

Edited by DrBuyToLeech

No need to seize houses and upset some people, just provide emergency funding to buy some on the open market at full price. That way the vendors and newly housed are happy, it's only our taxes put to "good" use.

2 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Statute overrides case law, so if they want to do it they can legislate it.

Well if I was a foreign investor exposed to London property now, I would now want to exit quietly.

Perhaps that time has even passed now and panic will set in.

Heres hoping.

Love he spirit behind this, it's just so Soviet! It's like Corbyn's channeling his inner pound shop Stalin, and collectivizing the kulak's stuff, naturally under his appointed lefties control. I wonder if the Grauniad will slate him for being 'populist' like they do with Trump and Farage etc. 

2 hours ago, Elative said:

I get a seizure reading that some comrades find this to be a good idea.

Those in positions to do so have sat by and twiddled their thumbs for decades as the chances to implement the "best" ideas passed them by. It should hardly be a big surprise if "worse" ideas start to become mainstream as a result of the rising tension caused by this. No ruling classes ever want revolutions to happen, but yet history shows that they happen nonetheless. People convince themselves that radical things just can't happen, and thus lose the very real opportunities to prevent them.

The judiciary would kick up an enormous stink, as would most of the press. The house of lords would oppose it to the utmost of their ability (so nullifying the notion of a quick, "24 hours before it's law" response). Even if Corbyn really wants this, and had a majority for Labour in the house, I can't imagine he has enough actual communists in his party to carry it through without a rebellion.

Instead, I think this is a classic political "soften them up" maneouvre. He fights for property confiscation, then when he is driven back and has to accept (let us say) heavy taxes on unoccupied property, to fund social housing, then everyone heaves a sigh of relief: that was a close call! Essential British values have been saved! ... followed by lots of mutual back-slapping for how strong our institutions are.

why not just take a tenancy out on the empty homes compulsorily as the govt would be paying some housing benefit wherever they manage to rehome those who have lost their homes?

I also think that moving some of the families out of KandC on a temporary basis would not be such a disaster - they could return at some point as homes become available in their chosen area.

Corbyn is becoming a loose cannon and I suspect his age is making him reckless.  The rest of his mob are waiting in the wings to take over :huh:

Edited by olliegog
k

Just a quick one

is it efficient to requisition say multi million £ flats and then put non workers/low income folks in them a la social housing.

for example many working people cannot afford to rent there so maybe a fairer policy is to open market rent them and use the money to fund housing.  

The empathy will change after a while when workers realise the best way to get a well located house is to be poor/refugee etc.

you can imagine the corruption when folks get then hands on a Mayfair penthouse and air bnb it for a few weeks earning more than working mugs

Undoing bad policies by taking it back or taking it over is wrong.....they are saying about 100 housing units need to be found locally......I am sure the richest borough in the country could build or buy up what is required to supply what is required at affordable rents..... encourage it, provide for it......average income £130k, median income in area £32k......many earn more, many more earn less.;)

4 minutes ago, winkie said:

Undoing bad policies by taking it back or taking it over is wrong.....they are saying about 100 housing units need to be found locally......I am sure the richest borough in the country could build or buy up what is required to supply what is required at affordable rents..... encourage it, provide for it......average income £130k, median income in area £32k......many earn more, many more earn less.;)

If some of these people are getting there accomodation/luiving expenses all paid for by you and I, do they have any right to be houses in a place of their choosing ?

Send them to the outer hebrides, see if they like getting free stuff so much then.

The sense of entitlement among-st the British is a joke, among-st the immigrants is grotesque.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

2 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

If some of these people are getting there accomodation/luiving expenses all paid for by you and I, do they have any right to be houses in a place of their choosing ?

Send them to the outer hebrides, see if they like getting free stuff so much then.

The sense of entitlement among-st the British is a joke, among-st the immigrants is grotesque.

There is no ideal situation that will suit all people.....what you are saying is to divide up areas into rich and poor, segregation of those with plenty and those with little..... ideally there should be a mix of all living and respecting each other....even the rich require cleaners, chefs, coffee makers, bottom wipers and carers....do you expect these people to travel in daily on the money they earn to serve others?.......only other way is what they did years ago and employing your own slave/member of household live in......not everyone can earn £50k plus wages every year.....but everyone requires a job that pays the rent in the area close to where they work.;)

20 minutes ago, winkie said:

.do you expect these people to travel in daily on the money they earn to serve others?....

No, I expect British people to be doing it, paid a wage where they can afford to live/commute/be houses etc.

If the immigrants can do it, so can the several million unemployed British.

The immigration is not providing an underclass, it's providing a conduit for the rich to rob the poor

16 hours ago, Fairyland said:

Apologies if this is already posted. 

The Guardian: Labour says emergency house seizure laws could ease Grenfell Tower crisis

If it does happen what will happen to all those savvy investors?

It would be illegal under the human rights law - which he support

https://order-order.com/2017/06/16/requisitioning-property-breach-human-rights/

During the election and before Jeremy Corbyn campaigned against the government’s intention to seek a derogation or exit from the provisions of the European Convention on Human Rights. He claimed: “The Tories want to repeal the Human Rights Act and some want to leave the European Convention on Human Rights.”

Article 1 of the First Protocol of the Human Rights Act enshrines the protection of property, a right that would be breached by the requisitioning of other people’s properties. The victims of the Grenfell disaster can be accommodated without communist-style expropriations, tearing up the rule of law and breaching innate human rights. It is a sign of Corbyn’s contempt for freedom and property that his knee jerk reaction to the tragedy is to resort class war…