House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BristolBuyer

Urban Foxes - how to remind them of their place in the food chain?

Last night I was woken by the noise of 2 foxes cornering some similar sized animal in bushes outside my suburban house, and trying to drag it out. They sauntered away when I shouted at them. The animal in the bushes had gone by the time I had gone outside to investigate, I suspect it was one of the neighbours' cats. Definitely bigger than a rat. My subjective impression is that foxes have become much bolder and more widespead in the last 10 years. Any ideas on how to remind urban foxes of their place in the grand scheme of things?

How about:

- Taking no evasive action when they cross the road in front of my car.

- Keeping a powerful torch next to my bed to shine at them (it doesn't help that all the streetlights go out at midnight). Does this scare foxes?

7 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

I hope bade then in my car. They do damage the car if you hit them...

Can we have that in English?

27 minutes ago, BristolBuyer said:

Last night I was woken by the noise of 2 foxes cornering some similar sized animal in bushes outside my suburban house, and trying to drag it out. They sauntered away when I shouted at them. The animal in the bushes had gone by the time I had gone outside to investigate, I suspect it was one of the neighbours' cats. Definitely bigger than a rat. My subjective impression is that foxes have become much bolder and more widespead in the last 10 years. Any ideas on how to remind urban foxes of their place in the grand scheme of things?

How about:

- Taking no evasive action when they cross the road in front of my car.

- Keeping a powerful torch next to my bed to shine at them (it doesn't help that all the streetlights go out at midnight). Does this scare foxes?

Ive got a mad ginger tom cat who has no reverse gear and he will fight with a fox . Lost a chunk out of his back doing it mind. Vet bill huge.

My greyhound fancies her chances against a fox thats running away ! She can bring a deer down but a fox is more violent and cunning .

I hate the noise they make and you see them night and day.  To many around and they are getting more prominent. 

Considered letting dog out at them but i'm not prepared to take the chance of injury . Do see dead foxes around so maybe running them down is the route .

Just thought I might add that foxes have been residents of this country for as long as humans, and have certainly been here longer than your suburban house. The supposed encroachment you describe has been entirely one way, and it ain't been from fox developments. Just a bit of perspective for you.

On 6/19/2017 at 0:06 AM, Sledgehead said:

Just thought I might add that foxes have been residents of this country for as long as humans, and have certainly been here longer than your suburban house. The supposed encroachment you describe has been entirely one way, and it ain't been from fox developments. Just a bit of perspective for you.

Humans have also been killing foxes for food, sport or pest control for far longer than his suburban house has been there.

2 hours ago, hotairmail said:

I've never heard of anyone eating a fox.

EDIT: Hmmm, found a recipe:

http://zesterdaily.com/drinking/recipe-for-how-to-cook-a-fox/

It tastes terrible by all accounts, but if you're hungry enough...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_fox

The species is Eurasian in origin, and may have evolved from either Vulpes alopecoides or the related Chinese V. chikushanensis, both of which lived during the Middle Villafranchian. The earliest fossil specimens of V. vulpes were uncovered in Baranya, Hungary dating from 3.4-1.8 million years ago. The ancestral species was likely smaller than the current one, as the earliest red fox fossils are smaller than modern populations. The earliest fossil remains of the modern species date back to the mid-Pleistocene in association with the refuse of early human settlements. This has led to the theory that the red fox was hunted by primitive humans as both a source of food and pelts.

On 6/22/2017 at 0:47 PM, Hail the Tripod said:

It tastes terrible by all accounts, but if you're hungry enough...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_fox

is all fur banned in the fashion industry?

urban fox has quite a chic sort of name to it...maybe some sort of pelt lingerie line or something.

If fox tastes like it smells, it must taste horrible.

They're shoot on sight for me, the Red Kites get the carcassses.

I saw something on them in the Himalayas or similar. It is pretty much exactly the same animal that lives in your back garden as lives at 6,000m in Asia.

I found that very impressive whether you like them or not. No wonder they have lasted long.