House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sideysid

What would be in your manifesto if you were PM?

I didn't bother to vote at the recent GE. There is no definded leadership or policies worth voting for. The country is becoming ever more politically more divded and I don't think we'll every see a majority government in another GE for quite some time.

What would you say in a manifesto that you think would identify with the issues of the electorate? I'll start.

Housing

Compulsory registration of all landlords and owned properties. Put onus on the banks to check against the register to make sure any BTL landlords are all on BTL mortgages. Fine those who are not. Fine any HMO landlords who's properties are not fit for purpose and shut them down. Make sure S24 tax changes go through and make BTL a completely unacceptable option to invest money in.

Heavily tax empty foreign investment properties. Confiscate after repeat warnings, it then becomes available to the council for use. i.e turn into temporary social housing.

Make land available for both BTR housing associations and house building (not luxury flats) within commuting distance of major towns.

Education

End free tuition in Scotland. The Scottish have shown that they have no desire to leave the union. The UK should start acting like one, with the same rules for all. Foreign students pay full education costs. With the money saved, all STEM and medical education should be subsidised across the country. Students should no longer be leaving university with unpayable levels of student debt. Better to get smaller amounts back than none at all.

For manual workers subsidised apprentice schemes into key trades - like the YTS scheme of the 1980s.

Medical

End free prescriptions in Scotland, for the same reason as stated above. All this serves is for people to abuse the system costing resources, for things like paracetamol that can be bought at the supermarket. Disabled and those pregnant would still get free prescriptions. Drug users would not be classed as disabled, they would get subsidised prescriptions instead, the same with those out of work. All non UK residents pay full costs.

More funding for the NHS, not to go into the black hole and pockets of the managers but to actually employ medical staff of full employment contracts with pension incentives. Its time to move away from the agency nurses/doctors (pay caps in place), and make careers for them in the NHS.

Re-open the NHS walk-in centres around the country. These take the brunt of people away from the likes of A&E, which are more stretched than ever before.

Immigration

I would enact Brexit so that we would no longer have our hands tied by EU bureaucracy and be able to secure our borders and end free movement.

Corporations to employ UK residents above foreign nationals, put fees in place if they need recruit from abroad instead.

All tax credits and child benefits be stopped for non-UK nationals. 

With the drop in sterling against the €, we will naturally see a decrease in immigration.

Security

With no free movement from the EU, secure vetting procedures can be put in place.

We have a issue with home grown radicalisation. We need to use intelligence to identify the sources and use the muslim communities help to narrow down these sources. All those on the watchlist be monitored and tagged. 

Police budgets across the country have stretched some smaller constabularies. Any struggling to maintain officer numbers need their budgets increased to do so. The Met response time to terrorist incidents has been excellent, and they have over 30000 officers (more than ever before) senior ranks have been cut out - which is no bad thing. All response officers should be trained and carry tazers.

Edited by sideysid

10 hours ago, sideysid said:

I

Police budgets across the country have stretched some smaller constabularies. Any struggling to maintain officer numbers need their budgets increased to do so. The Met response time to terrorist incidents has been excellent, and they have over 30000 officers (more than ever before) senior ranks have been cut out - which is no bad thing. All response officers should be trained and carry tazers.

I would call 8 minutes response time about 7 mins 45 seconds, and 5 or 6 casualties too late.

armed police(routine on the continent) did not stop nice or cologne.....there is a very un-pc sherriff in the USA who has the right idea...it's called get tooled up.

now I'm not proposing anything anywhere near as lax as the gun rules in the US, but there is a way to pre-screen people for counter terror check already(if you happen to be in that sphere of employment)....the process is not exactly easy, you have to be sponsored in the first place by a prospective employer(that could be widened to senior admin of rifle/pistol club who has known you a couple of years and could vouch as character witness).

after that you would have to successfully complete psychometric testing,and simulated "driving test" for ownership/licence for concealed carry.You still might not get it if you freak out on the simulator or are just a plain crap shot!

Education:-

Will have to go hand in hand with immigration.

We cant continue to expect the rest of the world to educate our workers.

So what ever jobs are top of the immigration list (UKIP beloved "Points system") should be our priority to educate our own young people into.

Nurses, doctors, Engineers top my list... subjects that lead to such professions should be totally free to study anywhere in the UK.

Liberal Arts...pay full whack and then some.

Tax:-

Far too complicated, basically such complexity has been bought in to benifit the tax industry itself.

Go for simple flat rate.

Housing:-

Agree with Corbyn on this one, homelessness is a national disgrace and not necessary.

I would introduce some form of communal living for the worst off in this country...akin to military barracks without the BS.

Interfaces with education, health, benefits, social services....decent healthy food, good health care, good education...get the kids lifted out of poverty.

Some will be institutionalized but hay ho you cant win em all...concentrate on the kids