House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trampa501

Would you pay £3.70 for a pack of breakfast cereal?

Seems fairly common in certain supermarkets around here (Tesco, Sainsburys, Waitrose etc)  even when bargain imitations are available in the likes of Aldi/Lidl.

There was some (Dorset Cereals I think) chocolate granola I was tempted by until the missus shouted me down. £4.30 IIRC. Otherwise it's muesli, though she does make me buy Alpen, the hypocrite.

I eat one Aldi `Weetabix`, some oats followed by what ever is in the garden (strawberries. gooseberries, red currents , loganberries, blackberries apples in order)

Dirt cheap innit...

2 hours ago, council dweller said:

I eat one Aldi `Weetabix`, some oats followed by what ever is in the garden (strawberries. gooseberries, red currents , loganberries, blackberries apples in order)

Dirt cheap innit...

How can you live that way, you animal!

For the record, I do live the same way. I eat porridge with berries that are in season from my garden (or frozen berries from Iceland berries if it's cold).

Can't be 3.70 for mainstream breakfast cereal surely? Now the kids have grown up I don't buy it anymore but will have a look later when in supermarket. Aldi own brand muesli is fantastic if you like that sort of thing.

8 hours ago, honkydonkey said:

I don't eat breakfast. Even cheaper. 

No it isn't. Cheap food eaten at home and its best for your health to eat breakfast.

2 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

No it isn't. Cheap food eaten at home and its best for your health to eat breakfast.

You are wrong it's bad to eat breakfast.

1 hour ago, Funn3r said:

You are wrong it's bad to eat breakfast.

When an animal wakes up I doubt that most of them have food directly to hand. They would have to wake up, become active and then go and forage before they could eat. Maybe it is just the fact that our working lifestyle prevents us eating 2-3 hours after we wake and so we cram food in before we should. Therefore I think there may be something in what you say, but I'm to busy eating breakfast to look into it.

8 hours ago, NuBrit said:

How can you live that way, you animal!

For the record, I do live the same way. I eat porridge with berries that are in season from my garden (or frozen berries from Iceland berries if it's cold).

Good man....

I`ve been eating like this for 10 years starting with one strawberry plant ....always something to look forward to. Plenty left over for birds as well.

Interestingly more American settlers could have survived if they had had more fruit rather than endless rabbit.

1 hour ago, Funn3r said:

Can't be 3.70 for mainstream breakfast cereal surely? Now the kids have grown up I don't buy it anymore but will have a look later when in supermarket. Aldi own brand muesli is fantastic if you like that sort of thing.

Aldi Weetabix here, better than the real thing and less than half the price. 

14 hours ago, Trampa501 said:

Seems fairly common in certain supermarkets around here (Tesco, Sainsburys, Waitrose etc)  even when bargain imitations are available in the likes of Aldi/Lidl.

I pay £1 in Poundland. The same product sells for 2 or 3 times the price in Waitrose.

1 Poached or scrambled egg on a slice of brown toast with a small portion of baked beans. Got, the carbs, fat and protein in the right ratios, plenty of fibre and very nutritious. Pretty much the perfect breakfast.

38 minutes ago, frozen_out said:

1 Poached or scrambled egg on a slice of brown toast with a small portion of baked beans. Got, the carbs, fat and protein in the right ratios, plenty of fibre and very nutritious. Pretty much the perfect breakfast.

Hey! Great minds! That's exactly what I've been eating recently (except 2 eggs and half a tin of beans); very quick to prepare also.
The bread (sourdough, brown, seeded) comes from a local craft baker, thick-sliced on the day it's bought and frozen to last the week.

Whenever breakfast cereal turns up in the conversation I always like to remind myself of exactly why JH Kellogg invented breakfast cereal in the first place.

1 hour ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

Hey! Great minds! That's exactly what I've been eating recently (except 2 eggs and half a tin of beans); very quick to prepare also.
The bread (sourdough, brown, seeded) comes from a local craft baker, thick-sliced on the day it's bought and frozen to last the week.

:)

I noticed my son was getting the fat thin body, so I overhauled our diet. More protein, less sugar and carb. He still has cereal the odd day, but it's now plain shredded wheat instead of coco-pops or some other sugary shit. a

One other thing I've found is that fat is surprisingly difficult to remove from our diet.

"One other thing I've found is that fat is surprisingly difficult to remove from our diet. "

That's the last thing you want to do. More benefits than ill effects.