House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Smurf1976

Australia Vs Uk

Some time ago there appeared to be a broad consensus (with some notable ones who disagreed) that Australia was ahead of the UK by somewhere around 6 months in the property cycle.

I live in Oz but judging by what I'm reading on this forum the UK has caught up and may now even be ahead. I don't have facts and figures but that's the impression I get from reading the posts - going pear shaped in UK but Oz still has only small falls in most areas.

What's your opinion? Have I missed something somewhere or has the UK caught up to Oz in the cycle?

Guest Winners and Losers

Hi there Smurf

I tried to sell my house in Oz in mid 2004 (purchased in mid 2002). On market for just over 12mths with no offers. Price reduced by 100k and still nothing. I definitely think Oz is ahead, but maybe by more than 6mths. Does this mean that the UK will drop and then stabilise? Hope not. I think it is worse in reality in Oz than people realise. Try selling your house! Had I kept my flat in London over the same period I would be £50k better off! In the end we rented it out because we had to come back to UK. If I was selling it now I would probably only achieve a little more than I paid in 02. If the market can go down/crash in other Western ecnonomies, why is the UK immune?

Some time ago there appeared to be a broad consensus (with some notable ones who disagreed) that Australia was ahead of the UK by somewhere around 6 months in the property cycle.

I live in Oz but judging by what I'm reading on this forum the UK has caught up and may now even be ahead. I don't have facts and figures but that's the impression I get from reading the posts - going pear shaped in UK but Oz still has only small falls in most areas.

What's your opinion? Have I missed something somewhere or has the UK caught up to Oz in the cycle?

Hi there Smurf

I tried to sell my house in Oz in mid 2004 (purchased in mid 2002). On market for just over 12mths with no offers. Price reduced by 100k and still nothing. I definitely think Oz is ahead, but maybe by more than 6mths. snip...

Just sold my mum's house in Brisbane. Got close to asking within a week of being on the market. That said, we did instruct the agent to price realistically, knowing that in a slow market the best price is the one you can get in the first few weeks.

Agent says that perhaps we would have got 3-4% more for it 18 months ago.

T&T

Guest Winners and Losers

We were in NSW (QLD was still booming while NSW was crashing, so you are a bit behind), and have sold at the right time for sure. NSW had 'Vendor Duty' etc. to contend with!

Just sold my mum's house in Brisbane. Got close to asking within a week of being on the market. That said, we did instruct the agent to price realistically, knowing that in a slow market the best price is the one you can get in the first few weeks.

Agent says that perhaps we would have got 3-4% more for it 18 months ago.

T&T

CIUW - I love your fixation with TTRTR. That sweet little banter between the two of you.....

Australia is leading, both at home, and over here (that smug Australian parasite TTRTR just lost £112,500 according to the Halifax)