House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

The Nationwide Fat Cats

"Vince Cable accuses Nationwide of behaving like a 'typical aggressive commercial bank' after boss' £3.4m fat cat pay cheque"

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-4608594/Building-society-boss-pockets-3-4m-fat-cat-pay-cheque.html

What a great MUTUAL the nationwide is.

Peoples savings are being stolen via inflation and these c**ts pay themselves £3.4M

I sincerely hope they go the way of the NR.

Im surprised more people didnt commen t on this.  This is a ****ing outrage/tragedy.

I can see the NW doing a NR soon ish.  The Southeren bankers will chuckle up their sleeves.

2 hours ago, Wayward said:

founding fathers will be spinning in their graves...

Aye with their faux-authentic salt-of-the-earth ad campaign.

The reckless abandon with which they embraced highly leveraged BTL mortgage selling in complete disregard for their founding ethos.

2 minutes ago, Tapori said:

Aye with their faux-authentic salt-of-the-earth ad campaign.

The reckless abandon with which they embraced highly leveraged BTL mortgage selling in complete disregard for their founding ethos.

+1

I have to turn over the channel when their adverts appear.

That and that Barclays Bank-of-Mum-and-Dad mortgage ad with that young woman.

Let this forum serve future generations well in showing that some rag-tag band of anonymous digital-nomads were aware of this madness but we couldn't do anything other than discuss it with dark humour as we wandered the deserts of poor finance in search of an oasis of f'in common sense.

This has angered me for years.  I challenged their Deputy Chairman about Directors pay at an open meeting about eight years ago.  All I got was the usual hogwash about paying market rates.  At the time I made this challenge their counter staff could be on wages as low as £14000 whilst the Chairman was on just over £2million.  Its totally disgusting but what disgusts me more is why the members of Nationwide don't block this obscenity when they get the chance to vote.  Every year we are offered the chance to vote on directors pay and every year I vote against it.  Why don't others bother?  I really despair about my fellow citizens; sometimes I think they really are stupid.

27 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Im surprised more people didnt commen t on this.  This is a ****ing outrage/tragedy.

I can see the NW doing a NR soon ish.  The Southeren bankers will chuckle up their sleeves.

The bosses at NR didn't go to jail they walked away into the sunset with their bags of swag while Nationwide had to stump up compensation for it. If the system encourages moral hazard with no penalty for wrongdoing, it's hardly surprising they might do the same is it?

2009:

Nationwide said this morning that it expects to be charged £250m over the next three years, which includes the cost of paying interest on the UK government's loans to fund compensation for customers of banks that collapsed in the current crisis. That includes Bradford & Bingley, several Icelandic banks which operated in the UK, and doorstep lender London Scottish.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2009/mar/20/nationwide-compensation-anger

13 minutes ago, dougless said:

This has angered me for years.  I challenged their Deputy Chairman about Directors pay at an open meeting about eight years ago.  All I got was the usual hogwash about paying market rates.  At the time I made this challenge their counter staff could be on wages as low as £14000 whilst the Chairman was on just over £2million.  Its totally disgusting but what disgusts me more is why the members of Nationwide don't block this obscenity when they get the chance to vote.  Every year we are offered the chance to vote on directors pay and every year I vote against it.  Why don't others bother?  I really despair about my fellow citizens; sometimes I think they really are stupid.

Well done for standing up in person about this, and you're bang on.

If you are a member of the Nationwide, you will have received your voting pack today and you can vote against the Directors' remunerations and the policy that calculates them.   Although they have taken the trouble to make sure that this vote is only advisory, and non-binding.  Still worth doing though, to make the point.

The worst thing in my view is the graphic on page 13 of the "Review of the Year 2017" booklet.  The heading is "Our business model at a glance".  Stage 1 is "where the money comes from", this is mainly member deposits and wholesale funding.  Stage 2 is "What we do with it", and this groups "Mortgages for owner occupiers and buy to let investors" into a single category.  This has put me into a FURY because it is a total betrayal of the Nationwide's principles as a members' mutual society.  I am going to make an official complaint (the form is on their website) and I hope that you all will too.

7 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Nope. BoE has clawback in place now.

Most of those bonues and wages will be clawed back whenNW go under. And NW will go under.