House Price Crash Forum
maverick73

Housing Benefits Across the EU

Where will the EU Citizen go, when the UK wall goes up??? presuming the next PM elect will pledge to erect a wall... ;)

AUSTRIA 

Health care Available immediately, but only if you pay “social insurance” 

Child benefit Immediate payment of £89 per month 

Unemployment benefit Only available to people who have paid social insurance 

Housing benefit No equivalent scheme 

BELGIUM 

Health care Available after a year 

Child benefit £115 a month, available immediately 

Unemployment benefit Have to have previously worked in Belgium 

Housing benefit No national scheme; amounts vary regionally. 

BULGARIA 

Health care Free emergency care immediately; other treatments only available if you pay social insurance 

Child benefit Targeted schemes restricted to Bulgarian citizens 

Unemployment benefit Minimum of nine months of working in the country required to qualify 

Housing benefit Immediate monthly allowance buzt only if you have a local authority home already 

CYPRUS 

Health care Free, available immediately 

Child benefit Immediate yearly payment of £444 

Unemployment benefit Six months of work in Cyprus required to qualify 

Housing benefit Immediately available, limited to £506 a month 

CZECH REPUBLIC 

Health care Available immediately but cash charges apply 

Child benefit £23 a month available immediately 

Unemployment benefit 12-month minimum qualifying period 

Housing benefit Available immediately 

DENMARK 

Child benefit Up to £161 a month available after 12 months 

Unemployment benefit Minimum of one year’s work required to qualify 

ESTONIA 

Health care Available immediately but cash payments required for some treatments 

Child benefit £16 per month available immediately 

Unemployment benefit £12.50 per week available immediately 

FINLAND 

Health care Public health service charging flat-rate fees. Available immediately 

Child benefit £88 per month available immediately 

Unemployment benefit Basic weekly unemployment allowance available after two months 

Housing benefit Up to 80 per cent of housing costs available immediately but system varies regionally 

FRANCE 

Health care Only available with a card proving entitlement, issued to residents 

Child benefit Immediate payment, but only for parents with more than one child 

Unemployment benefit Four-month qualifying period 

Housing benefit Immediate; scheme based on house size and local factors 

GERMANY 

Health care Only available with a health insurance card 

Child benefit £155 per month available immediately 

Unemployment benefit Immediate means-tested allowance for jobseekers who have made "intensive efforts" to find work 

Housing benefit Full amount of housing costs available immediately 

GREECE 

Health care 100 days of work required to qualify 

Child benefit No equivalent scheme 

Unemployment benefit Minimum of six months of work required to qualify 

HUNGARY 

Health care Not immediately available 

Child benefit £40.60 per month available immediately 

Unemployment benefit Minimum qualifying period of 360 days 

IRELAND 

Health care Free after living in Ireland for three consecutive years, but free immediately to UK citizens 

Child benefit £110 per month available immediately 

Unemployment benefit £160 per week available immediately 

Housing benefit Immediate rent supplement providing short-term support 

ITALY 

Child benefit No equivalent scheme 

Unemployment benefit Qualifying period of three months 

Housing benefit No national scheme; varies according to region 

LATVIA 

Health care Public health service with fees for GP and hospital visits, available immediately 

Child benefit Immediate monthly payment of £9.30 

Unemployment benefit One-year qualifying period 

Housing benefit Varies locally 

LITHUANIA 

Health care Three months qualifying period but “urgent care” free immediately 

Child benefit Immediate monthly payment of £24 

Unemployment benefit 18-month qualifying period 

LUXEMBOURG 

Health care Not available immediately, as insurance-based 

Child benefit £157.10 per month available immediately 

Unemployment benefit Minimum of six months of work required to qualify 

Housing benefit Immediate rent allowance of up to £104.90 

MALTA 

Child benefit Immediate payment; up to £81.55 a month 

Unemployment benefit Immediate means-tested benefit of up to £16 per day 

POLAND 

Child benefit Immediate payment of up to £54 per month 

Unemployment benefit Qualifying period of one year 

PORTUGAL 

Child benefit Monthly payment of up to £40 

Unemployment benefit Qualifying period of 180 days 

ROMANIA 

Health care six-month qualifying period, except for emergencies 

Child benefit monthly payment of up to £20 

Unemployment benefit minimum qualifying period of 12 months 

Housing benefit no equivalent scheme 

SLOVAKIA 

Health care immediately available; nominal cash payment for treatments 

Child benefit immediate monthly payment of £19 

Unemployment benefit minimum two-year qualifying period 

SLOVENIA 

Health care Available immediately but required to pay minimum of 10 per cent of some treatment costs 

Child benefit Immediate payment of up to £97 per month 

Unemployment benefit Minimum contribution of nine months 

Housing benefit Only available if you already have social housing 

SPAIN 

Health care Only available with a card proving entitlement 

Child benefit Immediate payment of up to £20 per month 

Unemployment benefit Immediate payment available based on a variable proportion of average wages 

SWEDEN 

Health care Available immediately; basic fees for care 

Child benefit Immediate monthly payment of £101 

Unemployment benefit Six-month qualifying period 

Housing benefit Immediate monthly allowance of up to £125 

HOLLAND 

Health care only available with a certificate proving entitlement 

Child benefit Immediate payment of £943 per year 

Unemployment benefit Six-month qualifying period 

Housing benefit Means tested, available immediately 

UNITED KINGDOM 

Health care Available immediately and free of charge under the National Health Service 

Child benefit Paid immediately if the child is under 16, or 16 to 19 and in education or training, and the claimant has an individual income of less than £50,000. Amount is £20.30 a week for the eldest or only child, £13.40 per additional child 

Unemployment benefit Immediate payment of £71.70 a week in Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) after proving you are actively seeking work. EU migrants have to pass the “right-to-reside” test to show they are “economically active”. The European Commission wants to abolish this test. There is also contribution-based additional JSA which is only available after working for at least two years. 

Housing benefit Available immediately if you are on a low income, whether you are working or unemployed. How much depends on individual circumstances, but amount cannot normally exceed £250 per week for a one-bedroom property, or up to £400 a week for four bedrooms or more

So why do so many EU migrants come to the crappy UK when they can get better quality of life and benefits more or less immediately in other parts of the EU? I would go to Germany myself. 

4 minutes ago, fru-gal said:

So why do so many EU migrants come to the crappy UK when they can get better quality of life and benefits more or less immediately in other parts of the EU? I would go to Germany myself. 

Same here, I'm guessing the English language is probably a major factor..... plus I've worked in Germany, and experienced a very strict system. I'll politely incline to say the UK system operates in a very loose manner :ph34r: 

4 hours ago, fru-gal said:

Working tax credits-housing benefit is merely the cherry on top

13 hours ago, fru-gal said:

IIRC German benefits are time restricted.

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/File:Foreign-born_population_by_country_of_birth,_1_January_2016_(¹).png

Foreign-born_population_by_country_of_bi

There are lots of EU migrants spread across the entirety of the western half of the EU, so certainly the UK isn't that special beyond the linguistics (everyone wants to improve their english).

As a % of population the UK is a "middle of the road" country in terms of attracting EU migrants (5% of population).. 

BREXIT and the pound crash kind of sealed the deal IMHO... however with the existence of in-work benefits, the UK will continue to attract the "lower end" of the migration curve (the irony!).

Edited by hayder

14 hours ago, fru-gal said:

They speak English. If you're going to emigrate, it makes sense to go to one where you know the lingo even if poorly. And then vicious circle - they have mates here who know the system and how to fill out the forms.

>IRELAND  : Unemployment benefit £160 per week available immediately 

My sister in law (UK citizen) moved to Ireland.

- Better unemployment benefits (2x UK)

- EU grants for various drama projects

- Student loans for useless courses which will never be repaid

Only a few more years to drag it out before claiming a pension.

It does make you wonder why pro EU politicians could not see that the following :-

1) High house prices and rents

2) Freedom of movement

3) Generous benefits compared to other EU countries

Would make the housing shortage worse and cause dislike of the EU.

16 hours ago, maverick73 said:

POLAND 

Child benefit Immediate payment of up to £54 per month 

Untrue, CB is approx £100pm/child

Another media myth claiming that immigrants are rushing to come to the UK due to superior benefits and housing. The main reason is employers offering work with little or no questions asked. All subsidised massively by taxpayers via various govt schemes and in work tax credits (most of which are restricted or not offered elsewhere in the EU). Other countries have a minimum wage that is expected to cover the cost of living. However, that puts the costs directly on the employer.........can't have that is UK plc....companies would go bust, they squeal. :)

1 minute ago, Agentimmo said:

Another media myth claiming that immigrants are rushing to come to the UK due to superior benefits and housing. The main reason is employers offering work with little or no questions asked. All subsidised massively by taxpayers via various govt schemes and in work tax credits (most of which are restricted or not offered elsewhere in the EU). Other countries have a minimum wage that is expected to cover the cost of living. However, that puts the costs directly on the employer.........can't have that is UK plc....companies would go bust, they squeal. :)

Media myth?  What media?  I know someone whose family came here got council housing and so she did the same.

A lot of peoples views (including mine) on benefits don't came from the mail but because of people they know.  I used to hate the mail until I realized that I knew people who do come here for benefits.

(I am still not a great fan but for other reasons).

The London rental sector is completely held together by in work benefits and child benefits . Many landlords are receiving a decent income from properties that should have been refurbished years ago but demand has enabled them to let sub standard places .I'm looking forward to the day  when landlords have to compete on quality and price. Only a complete shake up of housing benefit will allow this. A true market needs to return but this will have a downward effect on prices and what politician has the stomach for this ?

3 hours ago, Agentimmo said:

Another media myth claiming that immigrants are rushing to come to the UK due to superior...

I don't think I've heard anyone trying to claim they are superior. They are more easily available.

Lots of people make money from people that need things, they make money by providing them with the things they want and need......lots of people = lots of customers = lots of sales = profits.;)

Uk system isnt contibution based or time limited, benefits paid out according to "need". The key to getting liveable sums of money is having children. Ironically, the stingiest, most stigmatized, conditions attatched uk benefit is jobseekers allowance ( in france somebody who has paid in will receive 3/4 of monthly income for a limited period; same person in uk would get 75 quid a week. Bizarrley this makes uk system terrible for somebody who has worked for years, paid tax and NI but needs genuine help when between jobs.

I have also been told other countries like france and spain are far more officious than uk; need documentation for health, school enrolment, working etc. Uk is very lax on this. Britain also has a less regulated economy, including a a larger black, cash in hand economy compared to other western countries.

3 hours ago, nothernsoul said:

Uk system isnt contibution based or time limited, benefits paid out according to "need". The key to getting liveable sums of money is having children. Ironically, the stingiest, most stigmatized, conditions attatched uk benefit is jobseekers allowance ( in france somebody who has paid in will receive 3/4 of monthly income for a limited period; same person in uk would get 75 quid a week. Bizarrley this makes uk system terrible for somebody who has worked for years, paid tax and NI but needs genuine help when between jobs.

I have also been told other countries like france and spain are far more officious than uk; need documentation for health, school enrolment, working etc. Uk is very lax on this. Britain also has a less regulated economy, including a a larger black, cash in hand economy compared to other western countries.

You think we have more cash in hand than Spain,Greece and Portugal etc?  I doubt that very much.

1 hour ago, iamnumerate said:

You think we have more cash in hand than Spain,Greece and Portugal etc?  I doubt that very much.

We running a heavy indebted economy.... The news may report issues such as Greece's debt crisis of €323bn (£26,400) or some €30,000 per capita, but when compared with the UK £1.7tn and debt per capita of £26,000... We're on course for serious austerity, immigration won't be the issue, more migration... as the young seek employment.

8 hours ago, maverick73 said:

We running a heavy indebted economy.... The news may report issues such as Greece's debt crisis of €323bn (£26,400) or some €30,000 per capita, but when compared with the UK £1.7tn and debt per capita of £26,000... We're on course for serious austerity, immigration won't be the issue, more migration... as the young seek employment.

Sadly we will always have more money for pro single mums than the rest of the world - we love them that much

10 hours ago, iamnumerate said:

It is one thing to be in a country that does little to stop cash in hand work and another to find that elusive work. 

UK is seen as a 'safe' bet. We just won't deport. 

To many the lack of willingness to eject migrants creates an atmosphere of vulnerability. If those with no right/illegally in the country were actually removed there might be more acceptance of migration. 

On 13/06/2017 at 7:40 PM, fru-gal said:

Rather than have one benefit, the UK have a lot that add up to a pretty big sum esp. when you learn to play the system.

All other  EU countries are contribution based and time limited.

For a scummer from any EU country the UK is promised land. It really is.

Bar the migrants in France and NL you dont get the level of scummers on beneiit anywhere else than other than the UK.

1 hour ago, spyguy said:

Rather than have one benefit, the UK have a lot that add up to a pretty big sum esp. when you learn to play the system.

All other  EU countries are contribution based and time limited.

For a scummer from any EU country the UK is promised land. It really is.

Bar the migrants in France and NL you dont get the level of scummers on beneiit anywhere else than other than the UK.

Was a promise land...... Its approaching cannon fodder ;)  

40 minutes ago, maverick73 said:

Was a promise land...... Its approaching cannon fodder ;)  

Bar the Irish. none can join our armed forces.

18 hours ago, iamnumerate said:

Spain... unless you've lived there and fully engaged with the locals you have absolutely no conception of how much they are on the "fiddle". Truly astounding, "normal middle-class" equivalent parents with young kids up to all sorts - renting holiday flats illegally on airbnb, selling veg in a box for cash and more, the most extreme being bankrupting your company, running off to South America and then sending wife+kids back for private education......