House Price Crash Forum

EU nurse applicants down 96% since Brexit vote

HOLA441
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

My wife says (she`ll graduate in a few months time) that Portuguese Spanish and Italian nurses are usually lazy and good for nothing. Philipino are the best. Only the best make it over here.

As for marrying one of them you can keep their innumerable relatives.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
5 hours ago, durhamborn said:

Aldi near me,5 Polish girls on the tills.50 yards away 229 single parent families claiming out of work benefits.168 people on JSA.236 on ESA.Those were the figure 3 years ago when i was on the council.Maybe leaving the EU will force the government to deal with the real problems.Not those Polish girls,our benefit system.(the Polish will be claiming tax credits as well).

How on earth can a single parent be expected to work when over 100% of the wage would be taken by childcare?

We only manage it by my wife(Nurse)  working night shifts and at the weekend

HOLA449
2 hours ago, 999house said:

The problem is work doesnt pay. How is someone supposed to survive on a retail assistant salary? Are how are wages going to increase when there is a stampede of eastern europeans pouncing on low paid jobs?

I agree, work doesnt pay compared to benefits once you have kids.The wages are too low,the benefits are too high and the import of workers is bonkers.

HOLA4410
Just now, Peter Hun said:

How on earth can a single parent be expected to work when over 100% of the wage would be taken by childcare?

We only manage it by my wife(Nurse)  working night shifts and at the weekend

Well considering most of them live in the same street as their mothers on our estate who are all on ESA and DLA child care isnt a problem.We are talking mothers,aunties,sisters,cousins,daughters granmothers in a family all on benefits.

HOLA4411
4 hours ago, Jeremy424 said:

Nurse training programmes cost money and that would conflict with their desire for a bare bones service run by cheap as chips uncomplaining workers.

It's going to be difficult to sort out benefits after such a prololonged period of wage arbitrage. From whatever side you approach the problem it's crucial that work is made to pay, not the current non-sense of getting tax-payers to subsidise poverty wages, decreasing standards and bashing the domestic population.

They could also stop forcing nurses to have to get degrees to work.For many years they didn't,then the knowledge economy of the blair years forced all manner of people to get £50k into debt for a £25k job so that the politicians could scratch their heads and wonder why real wages are dropping.

HOLA4412
2 minutes ago, Sancho Panza said:

They could also stop forcing nurses to have to get degrees to work.For many years they didn't,then the knowledge economy of the blair years forced all manner of people to get £50k into debt for a £25k job so that the politicians could scratch their heads and wonder why real wages are dropping.

Yep. 2 years of college,followed by 2 years n the job training is fine for 90% of jobs.

Of course it would not keep all the Labour voting lecturers in pointless make-work.

HOLA4413
58 minutes ago, council dweller said:

My wife says (she`ll graduate in a few months time) that Portuguese Spanish and Italian nurses are usually lazy and good for nothing. Philipino are the best. Only the best make it over here.

I would disagree. A companion of mine got quite ill in Portugal and spent two weeks in hospital in Portimao. The standard of care, and cleanliness in particular, was exemplary. The shower on the ward was cleaned after every use, and even the bedside cabinet was sort of dismantled every day for deep cleaning.

Oddly, almost no one spoke English. There was a retired English guy that dropped in every day to see if there were any English patients admitted and offered his skills as a translator during doctor's rounds. 

HOLA4414
1 hour ago, council dweller said:

Friend's daughter is junior doctor in London. Works ridiculous hours etc. as everyone knows. She says the doctors depend heavily on the nurse skills otherwise cannot get everything done in pressure timescales. Spanish nurses are top notch apparently. 

HOLA4415
5 hours ago, spyguy said:

The working/non benefit claiming EEers are  leaving/did not return from Xmas.

The ones here, with their kids, claiming various benefits and now bringing over their parents are still here.

Until benfits are stopped full stop for non UK nationals then nothing will change.

I'm UKIP and there was no policy of ejecting foreign nationals already here.  That would be horrendous.  Many have established lives here and to suggest cutting benefits for foreign nationals alone would be to victimise a section of OUR population and is a no no!  We wanted to control inflows and in a few years, we'd have it under control.  Free movement depressed wages and pushed up rental costs, how has that benefitted the established population.

HOLA4416
2 minutes ago, Abstra616 said:

I'm UKIP and there was no policy of ejecting foreign nationals already here.  That would be horrendous.  Many have established lives here and to suggest cutting benefits for foreign nationals alone would be to victimise a section of OUR population and is a no no!  We wanted to control inflows and in a few years, we'd have it under control.  Free movement depressed wages and pushed up rental costs, how has that benefitted the established population.

Therell be no ejecting.

But there wont be no sub either.

Uk tax credit are insane. They need slashing and hours cranked up.

Housing benefit shoukd not available to non uk nationals. Theyve made themselves intentionally homeless by moving here.

HOLA4417
57 minutes ago, CunningPlan said:

I would disagree. A companion of mine got quite ill in Portugal and spent two weeks in hospital in Portimao. The standard of care, and cleanliness in particular, was exemplary. The shower on the ward was cleaned after every use, and even the bedside cabinet was sort of dismantled every day for deep cleaning.

Oddly, almost no one spoke English. There was a retired English guy that dropped in every day to see if there were any English patients admitted and offered his skills as a translator during doctor's rounds. 

Not everything is free in Portugal.Also,worth noting the likely difference in demogrpaphic pressures.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/countryguide/Pages/healthcareinPortugal.aspx

'Your care in Portugal might not include all the things you would expect to get free of charge from the NHS. This means you may have to make a patient contribution to the cost of your care.'

HOLA4418
1 hour ago, spyguy said:

Yep. 2 years of college,followed by 2 years n the job training is fine for 90% of jobs.

Of course it would not keep all the Labour voting lecturers in pointless make-work.

I work in the NHS and it's safe to say that most nurses/paramedics of an age likely won't have a degree and you would never know.

Doctors need to go to Uni.

The debt situation for most students will affect them for much more of their working lives than they realise.

Edited by Sancho Panza

HOLA4419

Long-term negative effect for NHS and patients.  Short-term negative for British nurses (more work) but a long-term positive as they will have less competition and will be able to demand higher wages.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Reading around other forums another huge factor seems to be that the competition for skilled nurses is increasing worldwide which means we simply cannot as easily poach foreign trained nurses anymore. 

Ever since Blair booted open the door to our labour markets I said this wouldn't be sustainable. The country has simply become far too dependent on foreign labour, we're like meth users. We need foreign workers from picking our food, to nursing us to washing our cars. 

All the while we pay stupid welfare money for people so sit idly by. It's got to stop and it seems external factors may begin to force that upon us.   

Edited by casual_squash

HOLA4423
13 hours ago, spyguy said:

Therell be no ejecting.

But there wont be no sub either.

Uk tax credit are insane. They need slashing and hours cranked up.

Housing benefit shoukd not available to non uk nationals. Theyve made themselves intentionally homeless by moving here.

+1

HOLA4424
19 hours ago, Jeremy424 said:

Nurse training programmes cost money and that would conflict with their desire for a bare bones service run by cheap as chips uncomplaining workers.

It's going to be difficult to sort out benefits after such a prololonged period of wage arbitrage. From whatever side you approach the problem it's crucial that work is made to pay, not the current non-sense of getting tax-payers to subsidise poverty wages, decreasing standards and bashing the domestic population.

The problem with the Tory manifesto is they could have promised the NHS the moon because they weren't actually promising anything else. If that's what the  public want give it to them.....give nurses a huge pay rise, throw money at nurse training. We are nearly all ultra left wing when it comes to the NHS. Labour had promised so much to everybody else that I doubt they would have even competed with the meagre promises the Tories have made on the NHS.( about the only spending the Tories had guaranteed rises).

Also since University fees are 80% written off, why not just go the whole hog. It's going to cost diddly squat compared to Labour's universal benefit and social care guarantees  for the old millionares.

Just remove to the two most contentious issues in one fell swoop.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4425
1 minute ago, crashmonitor said:

The problem with the Tory manifesto is they could have promised the NHS the moon because they weren't actually promising anything else. If that's what the  public want give it to them.....give nurses a huge pay rise, throw money at nurse training. We are nearly all ultra left wing when it comes to the NHS. Labour had promised so much to everybody else that I doubt they would have even competed with the meagre promises the Tories have made on the NHS.( about the only spending the Tories had guaranteed rises).

Also since University fees are 80% written off, why not just go the whole hog. It's going to cost diddly squat compared to Labour's universal benefit  guarantees for the old millionares.

Just remove to the two most contentious issues in one fell swoop.

True - they should also have made the benefit cap UK wide.  If you work from home you don't get more if you are living in London.