House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

EU nurse applicants down 96% since Brexit vote

The government admitted a while back their economic model was based on immigration ( against the will of the British ) but it looks like post BrExit maybe things aint going to plan

http://news.sky.com/story/applications-from-eu-nurses-to-work-in-uk-down-96-since-brexit-vote-10913295

I'd be very wary about coming to the UK right now and if I were an immigrant living here for the last 10 years, I think i'd cash in my chips and GTFO

Aldi near me,5 Polish girls on the tills.50 yards away 229 single parent families claiming out of work benefits.168 people on JSA.236 on ESA.Those were the figure 3 years ago when i was on the council.Maybe leaving the EU will force the government to deal with the real problems.Not those Polish girls,our benefit system.(the Polish will be claiming tax credits as well).

Just now, durhamborn said:

Aldi near me,5 Polish girls on the tills.50 yards away 229 single parent families claiming out of work benefits.168 people on JSA.236 on ESA.Those were the figure 3 years ago when i was on the council.Maybe leaving the EU will force the government to deal with the real problems.Not those Polish girls,our benefit system.(the Polish will be claiming tax credits as well).

That would be the sensible thing to do....remove the benefits for non-Brits and see them all f**k off home.

This is not what the bankers/establishment/coprorations want for they know those benefits end up in their pockets.

We are being f**ked over yet again by a small minority.

No wonder people voted for Corbyn, the's the ONLY one who was talking about changing things.

To be precise:

Remove in work benefits and convert into a new NMW circa £10 / hr

Freeze non work benefits

Scale back Housing Benefit in particular but give tenants greater tenure

Move tax in general from VAT Council Tax,  Business Rates, Stamp Duty, inheritance, onto land values

Sit back and watch the economy sort itself out

17 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

The government admitted a while back their economic model was based on immigration ( against the will of the British ) but it looks like post BrExit maybe things aint going to plan

http://news.sky.com/story/applications-from-eu-nurses-to-work-in-uk-down-96-since-brexit-vote-10913295

I'd be very wary about coming to the UK right now and if I were an immigrant living here for the last 10 years, I think i'd cash in my chips and GTFO

Nobody is leaving just yet- the average Pole already here is earning around £1800 pm so a typical family of 2 earners doing NMW work and claiming the maximum WTC entitlement would be on £3600 pm +HB- even factoring in the 10% depreciation of £ v PLZ since Brexit, they are vastly better off than they'd ever be back home where wages average £400 pm. 

3 minutes ago, thirdwave said:

Nobody is leaving just yet- the average Pole already here is earning around £1800 pm so a typical family of 2 earners doing NMW work and claiming the maximum WTC entitlement would be on £3600 pm +HB- even factoring in the 10% depreciation of £ v PLZ since Brexit, they are vastly better off than they'd ever be back home where wages average £400 pm. 

Didnt the latest immigration stats point to EU nationals leaving /

The clever ones will be gone.  The idiots will catch on soon enough

This was always going to be happen. I don't know why UKGOV didn't immediately embark on a nurse training programme after the vote (re-introducing the bursary would have been an excellent start)

21 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

I thought there were fewer arriving (which was expected) but don't recall mention of anyone leaving

Edit: just checked-you're right.Latest figures do indicate a net outflow but I would imagine this relates to highly skilled and mobile professionals whilst those on low incomes and firmly attached to the teet of the welfare system are the least likely to leave in the short term

Edited by thirdwave

21 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

The working/non benefit claiming EEers are  leaving/did not return from Xmas.

The ones here, with their kids, claiming various benefits and now bringing over their parents are still here.

Until benfits are stopped full stop for non UK nationals then nothing will change.

12 minutes ago, CunningPlan said:

This was always going to be happen. I don't know why UKGOV didn't immediately embark on a nurse training programme after the vote (re-introducing the bursary would have been an excellent start)

Nurse training programmes cost money and that would conflict with their desire for a bare bones service run by cheap as chips uncomplaining workers.

It's going to be difficult to sort out benefits after such a prololonged period of wage arbitrage. From whatever side you approach the problem it's crucial that work is made to pay, not the current non-sense of getting tax-payers to subsidise poverty wages, decreasing standards and bashing the domestic population.

59 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

When you have 100% sovereignty you can heal yourself.

38 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

You are half right the highly qualified ones are not coming/leaving, the low skilled are still coming.

13 minutes ago, Jeremy424 said:

Nurse training programmes cost money and that would conflict with their desire for a bare bones service run by cheap as chips uncomplaining workers.

It's going to be difficult to sort out benefits after such a prololonged period of wage arbitrage. From whatever side you approach the problem it's crucial that work is made to pay, not the current non-sense of getting tax-payers to subsidise poverty wages, decreasing standards and bashing the domestic population.

We can go down that route but the flip side is accepting European levels of youth unemployment, as firms will find increasing automation more attractive than employing expensive staff.

The April figures are being compared with July - the month immediately after the referendum - rather than a year on year comparison that you would normally expect. The only rational reason for this must be that it makes the headline figures look more dramatic.  I assume there was actually a massive uptick in registrations just after the referendum, from EU nurses who feared we might be slamming the doors,

The NHS is pretty popular with EU medical types, because of its structured emplyment, as it is difficult to apply for jobs in their own countries without already having work experience. For practical purposes, there is no reason for EU nurses not to apply.

Edited by Steppenpig

1 hour ago, Confusion of VIs said:

You are half right the highly qualified ones are not coming/leaving, the low skilled are still coming.

I would expect that.  I know of 2 people gone to German and 1 person to poland, all professionals.

The poor still coming to get their free stuff, only thing it's not free and I'd imagine it's not just me at breaking point with all this.

i've heard a couple of conversations recently that were very much non-pc.

2 hours ago, durhamborn said:

The problem is work doesnt pay. How is someone supposed to survive on a retail assistant salary? Are how are wages going to increase when there is a stampede of eastern europeans pouncing on low paid jobs?

2 minutes ago, 999house said:

The problem is work doesnt pay. How is someone supposed to survive on a retail assistant salary? Are how are wages going to increase when there is a stampede of eastern europeans pouncing on low paid jobs?

Higher inflation gives those seeking work, more bargaining power due to increases in the cost of living. 

3 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Could always pay them UK candidates a decent wage. 

Presuming waiting times go up.. Nurses use the NHS to learn / experience.. then head off to a country that pays a decent salary and surrounded by a decent cost of living. 

2 hours ago, Steppenpig said:

The April figures are being compared with July - the month immediately after the referendum - rather than a year on year comparison that you would normally expect. The only rational reason for this must be that it makes the headline figures look more dramatic.  I assume there was actually a massive uptick in registrations just after the referendum, from EU nurses who feared we might be slamming the doors,

The NHS is pretty popular with EU medical types, because of its structured emplyment, as it is difficult to apply for jobs in their own countries without already having work experience. For practical purposes, there is no reason for EU nurses not to apply.

I was in hospital about 18 months ago.

I was expecting indian and fillipino nurses. What i found was italian, spanish and a lot of portuguese nurses.

I chatted to a couple, all 3 countries train more nyrses than there are jobs. Despite what jezza says, our nhs 'cuts' are nin existent; portuguese and spanish healthcare cuts have been hefty.

Nurses from the eu faced not working and letting theur training lapse, pr coming to the uk, getting paid a fair whack more than their own country and being able to improve their english.

1 hour ago, 999house said:

Could always pay them UK candidates a decent wage. 

uk thinks £7.2 is fair for minimum wage .

what it really should be is £20 

4 minutes ago, spyguy said:

I was in hospital about 18 months ago.

I was expecting indian and fillipino nurses. What i found was italian, spanish and a lot of portuguese nurses.

I chatted to a couple, all 3 countries train more nyrses than there are jobs. Despite what jezza says, our nhs 'cuts' are nin existent; portuguese and spanish healthcare cuts have been hefty.

Nurses from the eu faced not working and letting theur training lapse, pr coming to the uk, getting paid a fair whack more than their own country and being able to improve their english.

Good point and they might even meet their life partner.

6 minutes ago, silverman50 said:

Good point and they might even meet their life partner.

I tried with the hot portugese nurse...

English is a very valuable skill. And, despite the claims, nhs has reasonable traing and processes. Most of the larger non london hospital offer on site accomodation.

The aoanish and portuguese reckon theyll be paid much more when they go home as tgeyll be able to offer english services to internation visitors.