House Price Crash Forum
Si1

Our beautiful distopia

A govt barely able to function and unclear about it's wants, a hard left opposition snapping at its heels. A money printing press that hasn't been switched off in years, asset values way above long term trends, a boe chief with little to no skin in the game, or empathy. Record national debt, and boe asset purchase balance sheet.. And a legally fixed deal to end ties wth the EU which is baying for blood, and has none of any truly responsible representatives in the UK to deal with.

This feels like 1992's Black Wednesday on acid.

Edited by Si1

7 minutes ago, Si1 said:

A govt barely able to function and unclear about it's wants, a hard left opposition snapping at its heels. A money printing press that hasn't been switched off in years, asset values way above long term trends, a boe chief with little to no skin in the game, or empathy. Record national debt, and boe asset purchase balance sheet.. And a legally fixed deal to end ties wth the EU which is baying for blood, and has none of any truly responsible representatives in the UK to deal with.

Couldn't agree more. Can't help feeling I am living in a permanent state of omg. Every time I open the Google News app I am ready for anything no matter how weird and unlikely. 

At least in this maelstrom of insanity we have one anchor of stability that never changes. Rising house prices. 

20 minutes ago, Si1 said:

I just hope we are not like 1997 Venezuela.

23 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

At least in this maelstrom of insanity we have one anchor of stability that never changes. Rising house prices. 

It does feel a bit like that. People will soon be rummaging in bins for scraps and spending all day perfecting their squirrel traps, but at least their houses will still be worth more than last week, so not to worry. 

1 hour ago, Si1 said:

Transition is rarely painless and heaven knows change was needed, whatever the crybabies who think the sky's falling in every time there's a bit of bad news say. Their mistake is to think that it's the new direction that's the problem rather than realising that they were already on a train heading for the buffers at speed. There's no guarantee that it'll shake out fine in the long run but no particular reason to fear that it won't, so I'm really not worried - really it's good news that those things are all starting to bite, finally got a chance to do something about them.

The biggest threat are those trying to cling on to the mistakes, whether that's HPI, QE, the EU...

Edited by Riedquat

My take would be that 2 things are going on.

(1) The 24-hour constant crisis news media - we thrive off a steady feed of news from 24-hour tv, live blogs and twitter.  This kind of gives a feeling of constant crisis even when there isn't.

(2) Technology and Automation - I think the rise of machines providing way more power to the owners of Computing, AI and Capital is changing how our economy works; and I think we are at the beginning of a fairly profound change as the old trickle down looks increasingly like it doesn't work like it (arguable) did in the 80s, 90s and 00s.  I think 2010+ has seen a move from the old ways (ever increasing house prices being one) to something that will be quite different, and think both the rise of Trump and Corbyn are evidence of that. (albeit from completely different sides of the spectrum)

Hopefully neither will end in a distopia however - I think if nothing happened and we carried on with business as usual, then we might end up in one, but looks like things will evolve into something better over time.

As I'mone of the grumblers about automation can you expand on point 2? I don't see the link there and view it as something which helps to even further concentrate the power in the hands of the large players, since it removes a lot of their reliance on the smaller ones.

2 hours ago, Si1 said:

Although I agree with most of this I don't see the current Labour Party as 'Hard Left'.  They are slowly starting to return to their roots but they are not Hard Left.

4 minutes ago, dougless said:

Although I agree with most of this I don't see the current Labour Party as 'Hard Left'.  They are slowly starting to return to their roots but they are not Hard Left.

Ah, fair enough. I guess it's a relative opinion, or semantic, or something.

I am increasingly feeling like we are living in a Narcissistic death cult.

The main problems I see are;

lack of progress to control pollution,  

the 1% & corporations hiving off & hoarding capital,

gov can kicking & record breaking debt & poverty  

Lack of affordability in basic requirements for life : ie food & shelter 

increased global linking leading to poss domino effects.

The 1% & corps are finished as well if it all goes t!ts up . They can only hide on their secure islands for so long, and they will nto be protected from air & water pollution , let alone war     

Narcissistic personality disorder

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder

26 minutes ago, dougless said:

Corbyn is he supported M19 in Colombia - and they were extremist communists and very stupid because they decided to start a war with Pablo Escobar (they lost).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Luis_Ochoa_V√°squez#1984.E2.80.931986

1 hour ago, Riedquat said:

As I'mone of the grumblers about automation can you expand on point 2? I don't see the link there and view it as something which helps to even further concentrate the power in the hands of the large players, since it removes a lot of their reliance on the smaller ones.

Aye - I think it does further concentrate power, and in some ways has already happened. (would the Financial Crisis have occurred without the Big Banks going crazy with automated trades and endless layers upon layers of complexity?)

But I think politics is or will be starting to slowly get ontop of that, as people power will step in, in one form or another.

So whilst the Technological change is quite scary at the moment and poses challenges to our society as it currently is - I think in the medium/longer term it will be a positive.

39 minutes ago, london_thirtythree said:

Aye - I think it does further concentrate power, and in some ways has already happened. (would the Financial Crisis have occurred without the Big Banks going crazy with automated trades and endless layers upon layers of complexity?)

But I think politics is or will be starting to slowly get ontop of that, as people power will step in, in one form or another.

So whilst the Technological change is quite scary at the moment and poses challenges to our society as it currently is - I think in the medium/longer term it will be a positive.

There are different areas where the scale works differently - I spend more time watching amateur stuff on YouTube than on the TV, for example, so in that area it's opened things up and moved in the direction you're saying, although it mostly needs the underlying professional productions (quite a bit is reviews for example). I'm not so optimistic long term but I certainly can't pretend there's no upside and that it won't have some positive effects in the direction you're thinking of.

4 hours ago, Si1 said:

House prices can only go up.

Buy now, before someone misses out.

4 hours ago, Si1 said:

Welcome to the early 1970s

At least the lights are on (for the moment)

Now if people could not get to Faceache, Twatter, WotsBollox etc that would be serious 

Edited by stormymonday_2011

10 minutes ago, Gribble said:

Add to that an ever worsening balance of payments. Sterling now below 1.13 Euro - will go a lot lower

Again been there bought the tee shirt under Heath and Wilson

Housing bubbles, debt crisis, crashing sterling, runaway inflation, terrorism, minority governments, strange political alliances and four hour power cut every night in mid winter to boot

You have not seen anything yet.    

Edited by stormymonday_2011

Given how incompetent the government are, we may well see a March 2019 crashout of the EU. Even the best government would struggle with the timetable. 

An overnight economic shock, travel chaos, custom check chaos, miles of traffic jams at Dover, no EU workers for the farms, food shortages...

A realistic scenario that may tip us into the abyss. 

Though it goes without saying, house prices will still remain steady, possibly rise. 

Source unknown (which German politician ?)  

A German MP - 'Britain is in danger of looking like a first world failed state.'

12 minutes ago, Tempus said:

An overnight economic shock, travel chaos, custom check chaos, miles of traffic jams at Dover, no EU workers for the farms, food shortages...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

1 minute ago, Venger said:

A German MP - 'Britain is in danger of looking like a first world failed state.'

Britain is in danger of looking like Germany.

1 hour ago, Venger said:

Viel Gl√ľck with your economy when the Euro disintegrates and you no longer have such a favourable market for your exports.

Also, better get building some houses for all those 'Asylum seekers' that you welcomed into your country that other European countries have no interest in taking off your hands.  I'm sure they'll turn out to be a massive economic asset.

1 hour ago, Venger said:

Cologne 31st Dec 2015 looked worse than many third world countries.