Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sledgehead

Zombie Knives vs Ceramic Knives : Explain. Please

Recommended Posts

I was shocked this morning to learn that the London murderers used ceramic knives.

Gosh, thought I, being a lot out of touch: these guys were more sophisticated than I had initially imagined. What devilish magic had they performed to make blades that would pass unnoticed through a metal detector?

It turns out, the 'devilish magic' was a trip to a shop, possibly Lidl's. It seems that ceramic knives are becoming quite a thing in catering onanism. Here's what some wannabe Masterchef contestant wrote in the Telegraph:

Quote

In the evening as I prep the vegetables for supper, I am startled by the ease with which it reduces carrots to thin batons, red pepper to slivers and celery to fine dice.

They also point out:

Quote

My youngest child refused to believe it was a real knife and kept trying to play with this fun new utensil.

-having previously said :

Quote

These things are ferocious.

Turns out they also chip easily.

So we have a new knife that:

- chips easily;

- looks like a toy kids might play with but is ferociously sharp;

- can be smuggled through metal detectors;

- replaces something that has served us perfectly for 2000 years;

- pleases smug people who make a fetish of food.

Question: why are these not banned?

And if not, why ban Zombie knives, which merely look dangerous, but mostly aren't and in any case are hugely impractical?

Don't answer that. I already know. Tarquin wants a ceramic knife to match his apron. Kelvin wants a zombie knife cos it looks cool over is x-box. Case closed.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where have you been for the past 15 years?

Ceramic knives for kitchen use have been commonly available for a long time, I bought my first one in the early 2000's. Their strong point is that they are extremely sharp and stay sharp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where have I been?

Well, almost every night in my kitchen, actually using knives, steel ones.

I can't tell you how fulfilled I now feel, knowing that something that has served man perfectly adequately for 2000 years has a substitute.

The way I feel is up there with how I felt when I heard about water-baths, vac-packs and Jamie Oliver's flavour shaker. 

And best of all I can now venture out in public without embarrassing myself when people talk about kitchen equipment.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Eagle said:

Where have you been for the past 15 years?

Ceramic knives for kitchen use have been commonly available for a long time, I bought my first one in the early 2000's. Their strong point is that they are extremely sharp and stay sharp.

I think it may be 30 years...

They're also (or used to be) extremely brittle, which makes me think you'd have a chance against an attacker by swinging an umbrella or even a handbag. When I first saw them many, many years ago, I got told in no uncertain terms (probably by someone who had learned from bitter experience) that they are a lot sharper than they look: the obvious thing to do was to say "that looks like a toy; it can't be sharp: look! ... oh cr4p! where are the plasters?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Toast said:

I think it may be 30 years...

They're also (or used to be) extremely brittle, which makes me think you'd have a chance against an attacker by swinging an umbrella or even a handbag. When I first saw them many, many years ago, I got told in no uncertain terms (probably by someone who had learned from bitter experience) that they are a lot sharper than they look: the obvious thing to do was to say "that looks like a toy; it can't be sharp: look! ... oh cr4p! where are the plasters?"

 

surprised they never snapped . they must have been slashing the victims.   

 

not sure about you but i would have picked up a chair and smashed it over the feckers fooking head .blade or no blade he won`t be going anywhere 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, longgone said:

 

surprised they never snapped . they must have been slashing the victims.   

 

not sure about you but i would have picked up a chair and smashed it over the feckers fooking head .blade or no blade he won`t be going anywhere 

they attacked as a pack...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, longgone said:

not sure about you but i would have picked up a chair and smashed it over the feckers fooking head .blade or no blade he won`t be going anywhere 

There is an interesting, and pretty mainstream anthropological theory that a key difference between humans and other primates is not intelligence, nor even walking upright (which came before greater cranial capacity), but the use of a whip-motion throwing action. No other primates - even our closest relatives, the two chimp species - do anything like this. Furthermore, throwing a stone can be as effective (although more telegraphed and easier to avoid) than a hand-gun shot. A couple of humans could easily drive off, or even kill, large predators in this manner, even with no better techlology like bows and arrows. The suggestion is that rock-throwing is our equivalent of sharp teeth and claws - and much more effective as you can keep your distance.

There were calculations done on what the most destructive mass would be for a hand-thrown rock, with the result that it is about 500g (if I remember correctly). The belief is that this selection is actually hard-wired into our brains, so that if picking up rocks on a beach, the ones with the most effective mass will simply feel "right" in the hand. It's an interesting observation that if you look at geological collections, they pretty uniformly consist of rocks of about this mass - even though there is no scientific reason within this field to choose samples of this particular mass.

I have often thought that if people were more aware of this idea, it would be much harder for armed groups to oppress unarmed populations ... provided they had access to suitable rocks. Obviously London is a bit short on stony beaches, but perhaps we should all get a little bit into new-age crystal appreciation, and carry a couple of pretty quartz ornaments in our backpacks for luck, and, in a pinch, to channel our (throwing) energies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Toast said:

There is an interesting, and pretty mainstream anthropological theory that a key difference between humans and other primates is not intelligence, nor even walking upright (which came before greater cranial capacity), but the use of a whip-motion throwing action. No other primates - even our closest relatives, the two chimp species - do anything like this. Furthermore, throwing a stone can be as effective (although more telegraphed and easier to avoid) than a hand-gun shot. A couple of humans could easily drive off, or even kill, large predators in this manner, even with no better techlology like bows and arrows. The suggestion is that rock-throwing is our equivalent of sharp teeth and claws - and much more effective as you can keep your distance.

There were calculations done on what the most destructive mass would be for a hand-thrown rock, with the result that it is about 500g (if I remember correctly). The belief is that this selection is actually hard-wired into our brains, so that if picking up rocks on a beach, the ones with the most effective mass will simply feel "right" in the hand. It's an interesting observation that if you look at geological collections, they pretty uniformly consist of rocks of about this mass - even though there is no scientific reason within this field to choose samples of this particular mass.

I have often thought that if people were more aware of this idea, it would be much harder for armed groups to oppress unarmed populations ... provided they had access to suitable rocks. Obviously London is a bit short on stony beaches, but perhaps we should all get a little bit into new-age crystal appreciation, and carry a couple of pretty quartz ornaments in our backpacks for luck, and, in a pinch, to channel our (throwing) energies?

Maybe you could get this carved into a stone tablet and whack the next nut job over the head with it. 

i think people would use anything to defend themselves if need be , my personal choice would be a towel with some heavy objects in the end . a sock and a few batteries would do the trick .  :lol:  

plenty tables were available with nice heavy cast iron feet. one of those in the head is going to sour your day.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

Where have I been?

Well, almost every night in my kitchen, actually using knives, steel ones.

I can't tell you how fulfilled I now feel, knowing that something that has served man perfectly adequately for 2000 years has a substitute.

The way I feel is up there with how I felt when I heard about water-baths, vac-packs and Jamie Oliver's flavour shaker. 

And best of all I can now venture out in public without embarrassing myself when people talk about kitchen equipment.

 

Ceramic knives are great, ultra sharp and will stay that way for years. I've had mine for well over 5 years and it's just getting to the point where it feels like it should be replaced. You do have to treat them carefully though because they chip - my wife puts ours in the dishwasher and it drives me nuts.

Give one a go, they're not expensive and if you don't like it you haven't lost anything. A brand new high quality ceramic knife goes through a joint of beef like it's hot butter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, longgone said:

not sure about you but i would have picked up a chair and smashed it over the feckers fooking head .blade or no blade he won`t be going anywhere 

You think so?

Mind, Body, Kick Ass Moves, Show No 2, 3:24

 

3 hours ago, longgone said:

i think people would use anything to defend themselves if need be , my personal choice would be a towel with some heavy objects in the end . a sock and a few batteries would do the trick .  :lol:  

plenty tables were available with nice heavy cast iron feet. one of those in the head is going to sour your day.

 

You are okay with the sock and batteries if you have practiced using such a thing. The heavy table is hopeless. You might stand a chance of killing a pensioner with severe arthritis. Anyone younger than that will simply avoid you and counter.

4 hours ago, Toast said:

 

There were calculations done on what the most destructive mass would be for a hand-thrown rock, with the result that it is about 500g (if I remember correctly).

 

The key to attacking is speed. 500g gives most the ability to achieve that. It's why, in the hands of an expert, percussive weapons like nunchaku can easily kill, despite being nothing more than 1ft lengths of broom handles.

If you must carry a weapon, and I advise against this, cos almost always it can be just as effectively used against you (again, nunchaku are an exception - most people will actually do themselves damage with such a weapon), pick something that, when you wield it, moves so quick as to make audible whistling noises. If you aren't strong enough to wield it in such a manner, find something lighter.

And don't be misled by "pensioner fends off attacker with stick" stories. That happened purely out of respect for elders. If you are younger and try that, you will be disarmed and then the weapon will be used - with a vengeance - against you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, frozen_out said:

Ceramic knives are great, ultra sharp and will stay that way for years. I've had mine for well over 5 years and it's just getting to the point where it feels like it should be replaced. You do have to treat them carefully though because they chip - my wife puts ours in the dishwasher and it drives me nuts.

Give one a go, they're not expensive and if you don't like it you haven't lost anything. A brand new high quality ceramic knife goes through a joint of beef like it's hot butter.

I love our first world problems. My wife keeps putting my kasumi pairing knife in the dishwasher and worse the nanny uses it on a plastic chopping board!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I love our first world problems. My wife keeps putting my kasumi pairing knife in the dishwasher and worse the nanny uses it on a plastic chopping board!

Actually your first world problems are when a terrorist / nut-job gets one of these through a metal detector, say at your child's school / on your business flight.

Still, in the meantime enjoy your paper-thin slices of over-ripe tomato: now that's progress!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The stone obsidian, a naturally-occurring volcanic glass, offers a cutting edge sharper than the finest surgical scalpel. It has been used in operations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

You think so?

Mind, Body, Kick Ass Moves, Show No 2, 3:24

 

You are okay with the sock and batteries if you have practiced using such a thing. The heavy table is hopeless. You might stand a chance of killing a pensioner with severe arthritis. Anyone younger than that will simply avoid you and counter.

The key to attacking is speed. 500g gives most the ability to achieve that. It's why, in the hands of an expert, percussive weapons like nunchaku can easily kill, despite being nothing more than 1ft lengths of broom handles.

If you must carry a weapon, and I advise against this, cos almost always it can be just as effectively used against you (again, nunchaku are an exception - most people will actually do themselves damage with such a weapon), pick something that, when you wield it, moves so quick as to make audible whistling noises. If you aren't strong enough to wield it in such a manner, find something lighter.

And don't be misled by "pensioner fends off attacker with stick" stories. That happened purely out of respect for elders. If you are younger and try that, you will be disarmed and then the weapon will be used - with a vengeance - against you.

surely having eyes in the back of your head is the best deterrent seeing as the bastewards where stabbing people in the back ?.     your average nut job is not a sas self defense man. they are some lanky string of piss chancer .   

i only wished the police knee capped them instead of killing them .

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

Actually your first world problems are when a terrorist / nut-job gets one of these through a metal detector, say at your child's school / on your business flight.

Still, in the meantime enjoy your paper-thin slices of over-ripe tomato: now that's progress!

Mine's got a metal handle and my kid's school doesn't have metal detectors. Where the ****** do you live if your kid's school has to check for weapons?

A determined attacker is capable of killing with almost anything. Not so long back a teacher was killed with a pencil sharpener blade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, longgone said:

 your average nut job is not a sas self defense man. they are some lanky string of piss chancer .   

 

They may well be lanky strings of piss, but tell me what you think terrorist training camps are for if it isn't to tell the monsters who attend them where the femoral etc artery is. Taking a bat off someone is hardly sas stuff. Pick a bat that's too slow to swing and anyone other than those afflicted with severe arthritis will, with 3 mins training, have it off you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Toast said:

 A couple of humans could easily drive off, or even kill, large predators in this manner, even with no better techlology like bows and arrows. The suggestion is that rock-throwing is our equivalent of sharp teeth and claws - and much more effective as you can keep your distance.

There were calculations done on what the most destructive mass would be for a hand-thrown rock, with the result that it is about 500g (if I remember correctly). The belief is that this selection is actually hard-wired into our brains, so that if picking up rocks on a beach, the ones with the most effective mass will simply feel "right" in the hand. 

So clearly some Middle Eastern countries that practice strict Sharia death penalties for adultery haven't progressed much past the Stone Age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

 

The key to attacking is speed. 500g gives most the ability to achieve that. It's why, in the hands of an expert, percussive weapons like nunchaku can easily kill, despite being nothing more than 1ft lengths of broom handles.

If you must carry a weapon, and I advise against this, cos almost always it can be just as effectively used against you (again, nunchaku are an exception - most people will actually do themselves damage with such a weapon), pick something that, when you wield it, moves so quick as to make audible whistling noises.

Nunchucks/nunchaku are truly awesome if used properly (I've had some training in martial arts classes). I often wondered why we don't equip police with them instead of truncheons. Certainly I'd rather go up against a knifeman with nunchaku than a British Issue Police truncheon.

Nunchucku aren't illegal if going between home/martial arts classes, but certainly you could be had for a concealed weapon if you carried them round regularly. That said, as 43 year old white man in a suit walking around London no one has ever stopped me. Given recent events in London, I would be half tempted to carry some just in case, but actually it probably better just to be able to run fast.

nunchucks-nuns-chuck-norris-nun-12593488

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

And don't be misled by "pensioner fends off attacker with stick" stories.

My German walking stick is very sturdy and has a sharpish tungsten carbide tip.Plus no one can tell me I can't carry it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

. Certainly I'd rather go up against a knifeman with nunchaku than a British Issue Police truncheon.

Hopefully the mods won't strike this out - give us a break mods, this may be vaguely promotional but the GUY - Lee Barden -  died a few months ago. Would it be so bad if his two teenage daughters sold a few more of their Dad's vids??????

Check out from 1min 38secs.

Guy with walking stick: tell me, could you really manage that?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sledgehead said:

Hopefully the mods won't strike this out - give us a break mods, this may be vaguely promotional but the GUY - Lee Barden -  died a few months ago. Would it be so bad if his two teenage daughters sold a few more of their Dad's vids??????

Check out from 1min 38secs.

Guy with walking stick: tell me, could you really manage that?

 

 

13 hours ago, Toast said:

There is an interesting, and pretty mainstream anthropological theory that a key difference between humans and other primates is not intelligence, nor even walking upright (which came before greater cranial capacity), but the use of a whip-motion throwing action. No other primates - even our closest relatives, the two chimp species - do anything like this. Furthermore, throwing a stone can be as effective (although more telegraphed and easier to avoid) than a hand-gun shot. A couple of humans could easily drive off, or even kill, large predators in this manner, even with no better techlology like bows and arrows. The suggestion is that rock-throwing is our equivalent of sharp teeth and claws - and much more effective as you can keep your distance.

There were calculations done on what the most destructive mass would be for a hand-thrown rock, with the result that it is about 500g (if I remember correctly). The belief is that this selection is actually hard-wired into our brains, so that if picking up rocks on a beach, the ones with the most effective mass will simply feel "right" in the hand. It's an interesting observation that if you look at geological collections, they pretty uniformly consist of rocks of about this mass - even though there is no scientific reason within this field to choose samples of this particular mass.

I have often thought that if people were more aware of this idea, it would be much harder for armed groups to oppress unarmed populations ... provided they had access to suitable rocks. Obviously London is a bit short on stony beaches, but perhaps we should all get a little bit into new-age crystal appreciation, and carry a couple of pretty quartz ornaments in our backpacks for luck, and, in a pinch, to channel our (throwing) energies?

So we should all walk around carrying tins of baked beans as self defence weapons then ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

 

So we should all walk around carrying tins of baked beans as self defence weapons then ?

dual purpose - serves as food for when a SHTF event occurs while you are away from your fallout shelter!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, reddog said:

What do you think would happen if you tried to take one of these on a plane?

What, like strapped between your shoulder blades with duct tape?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They would get through the metal detector but could be seen on the xray machine.  There have been versions avaialable to government security and military forces with ID but not to the public.  There are also small ceramic blades designed to be hidden round the body but again only avalable to security forces.  There is a big industry of this stuff under the SERE umbrella, handcuff shims and bogata lock picks have been the most usefull for work. A issue is now other companies are starting to sell this stuff to non government staff.

 

The cermaic blades are a big worry but there has been some higher concerns to me in terms of tactics.  To compensate I would hope that tasers are rolled out to all front line officers which should mitigate these tactics. However you will have to wait for what happened to be released to the press in due time to see what I mean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Next General Election   90 members have voted

    1. 1. When do you predict the next general election will be held?


      • 2019
      • 2020
      • 2021
      • 2022

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.