House Price Crash Forum

1 hour ago, Bruce Banner said:

Read into it what you will but Theresa May has appointed ex housing minister Gavin Barwell as her chief of staff at No 10.

Yes, I heard that. 

He has been a Conservative Campaign organiser for years,  he was a political staffer before being an MP. 

I'll repeat it again, but he is actually a very down to earth decent bloke.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

1 minute ago, Bruce Banner said:

Read into it what you will but Theresa May has appointed ex housing minister Gavin Barwell as her chief of staff at No 10.

Sounds like she has realised that she needs do something about housing before the next GE.

Gavin is anti BTL in general and amateur landlords in particular.

I suspect the 118 crowd won't be happy

15 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Sounds like she has realised that she needs do something about housing before the next GE.

Maybe bar MPs from being landlords (apartments & houses) is a start towards making them interacting on almost equal terms as those who vote in elections ?

2 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

The Tenanttax/118 goons always suggest that Gavin Barwell privately agrees with them on Section 24. Hope you're right.

48 minutes ago, Lavalas said:

The Tenanttax/118 goons always suggest that Gavin Barwell privately agrees with them on Section 24. Hope you're right.

I have spoken to him a couple of times about housing issues, in a social setting, and am pretty sure he genuinely sees amateur BTL as part of the problem not the solution. He also has a good reputation for assisting tenants having problems with Landlords.

i asked him specifically about whether there was a chance S24 would be repealed or amended back in November and got an unequivocal no, rather than the usual policies answer of no plans to.

8 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I have spoken to him a couple of times about housing issues, in a social setting, and am pretty sure he genuinely sees amateur BTL as part of the problem not the solution. He also has a good reputation for assisting tenants having problems with Landlords.

i asked him specifically about whether there was a chance S24 would be repealed or amended back in November and got an unequivocal no, rather than the usual policies answer of no plans to.

That's good enough for me, cheers. I assume that when confronted on the issue by the 118ers he did what any normal person would do and said whatever he could to get them out the room as fast as possible.

May has appointed Barwell because he is another at heart remainer like May herself. She is tying to shore up her position, which is now significantly out of step with Tory members views. This whole election now seems likely to have been intended to give May more sway over the hard Brexiters, but It has backfired spectacularly, as she will be gone by the October conference.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/housing-crisis-millenials-grandparents-housing-minister-gavin-barwell-a7354036.html

This week, our Housing Minister Gavin Barwell came up with an amazing idea to end intergenerational inequality once and for all: inheritance should skip a generation and grandparents should just give all their assets to their grandkids. Hey presto, sorted! Why didn’t we think of this earlier? And so soon after he solved the housing crisis by saying we can just put young people in smaller houses, too. You wait years for one genius idea and then they all come along at once, neatly packaged and delivered by one minister with a big plan for restructuring society.

5 hours ago, onlooker said:

May has appointed Barwell because he is another at heart remainer like May herself. She is tying to shore up her position, which is now significantly out of step with Tory members views. This whole election now seems likely to have been intended to give May more sway over the hard Brexiters, but It has backfired spectacularly, as she will be gone by the October conference.

Nope - they will have forced her to appoint Barwell, who is well-regarded and perceived as due a good turn due to having lost his seat due to May's cack-handedness

I for one have lost faith in any of our MPs so I don't think whatever they do it will be to reduce housing costs.

However on the various political progs this morning there seemed to be a hint of upcoming economic woes.

At least with a paralysed government we won't get a repeal of the BTL tax changes.

I saw Barwell interviewed after the election, seemed like a yes man to me, if the Tory party are not careful they are going to hand this to Corbyn.

Barwell blocked local authorities regulating all buy to lets in their authorities. He made it harder to do so a couple of years back. Not sure how he can be pro renter and anti-lordlord with that record. He has also come nowhere near housing build levels needed as he blocked local authorities building.

Whatever the question is, the answer isn't Gavin Barwell.

Does anyone seriously believe after June 8th that young people are going to vote for this shit as their lot in life?

medium.jpgslider9-2309.jpg

He was the latest housing minister for the party that built record lows of total numbers of new homes each and every year for the 7 years so far after the 2010 general election and considers building even tinier new homes as an innovative idea.  Not impressive - pretty devoid of ideas but likely ideal as Conservative Chief of Staff.

Edited by billybong

1 hour ago, zugzwang said:

Does anyone seriously believe after June 8th that young people are going to vote for this shit as their lot in life?

+1

and there are plenty of older people in a similar position.

I'm not a Labour or Corbyn supporter but Corbyn style scare stories on the economy no longer cut any ice with a lot of the general public.  He isn't responsible for wrecking the British economy.

Edited by billybong

2 hours ago, zugzwang said:

but the parkay flooring is lush 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/housing-crisis-gavin-barwell-flats-smaller-pocket-a7344061.html

"Build homes with smaller rooms so young people can afford them, Tory housing minister says

Gavin Barwell suggested it might not be possible for young people to own a full-sized home

"

This is just my humble opinion and nothing else buy Gavin is an total and utter c**t of the highest order.

7 minutes ago, brexitishope said:

Hello

Has anyone heard if a new housing minister has been appointed yet?

Theresa May has appointed Theresa May, she is clearly the only person who can run the country for the benefit of the bankers people