House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jp1

Times: Brick & Mortar

Todays Times - Property section lead comment

There is a certain air of smugness pervading the housing market at the moment, a touch of “here we are in 2006 and, see, the Great Housing Crash hasn’t happened”.
So far, though, no crash. But who knows what is around the corner?
So onwards and upwards with mortgage lending and housebuilding. Hooray, the natural order is restored. But what happens if interest rates join that procession? If interest rates go up a couple of percentage points and house prices go down? Think it’ll never happen? Maybe not. But then who would have thought we would ever see a whale in the Thames?

Though in intersts of balance the Times feels it has to print the usual EA twaddle on the next page

But the real buzz is coming from buyers, sellers and estate agents who are seeing activity reach fever pitch,

Yeah, yeah, yeah...

I gave up trusting the Times ages ago. I wouldn't use it to light a bonfire now.

I gave up trusting the Times ages ago. I wouldn't use it to light a bonfire now.

Who on earth are we supposed to believe? We see so much conflicting 'information' on the housing market that I just don't know which way things are going. It's probably all somewhere in between.

Quite some time ago, the Times ran an article in Bricks and Mortar about two blokes who set ut a btl company and bought £9m worth of houses in 1 year. These guys had, therefore, built an empire "worth" £9m in one year (starting in 2004). They were stating how good they were at business and how pround their mums must be.

Of course the detail that they had £8.5m of debt was neither here nor there (I guess because they didn't have to pay it back, the tenants would do that). From that day on, my view has been tainted. The general view is that, in respect of the Bricks & Mortar, that supplement is paid for by advertisers so they don't want to upset their clients by being to bearish. That they are becoming more bearish now is a little late to pacify me unfortunately.